The Student Room Group

help with a level choices for journalism?

Hi, I'm in year 11 now and trying to figure out what a levels I should take. For a few years I've been really interested in going into journalism but don't really know what I should choose to so in college, any ideas?

At the moment I'm thinking of definitely doing english lang&lit, but I'm not really sure what else? any help would be fab, thank you:smile:
Reply 1
First and foremost: take subjects you enjoy and will get a lot out of :smile:

Since you're interested in going into journalism it is probably worth doing more essay-based subjects than all sciences for instance, such as history. Perhaps something like media or photography could be useful, depending on your interests. But don't discount something like ICT or maths/sciencey subjects - it just depends what you're interested in! Ultimately I think it is most important to take subjects that you will enjoy studying, and therefore do well in.

A shot in the world of journalism will also go beyond your grades, so be looking out for any work experience opportunities - contact local newspapers and magazines to see if they could accommodate you for a week, or speak to a careers advisor at your school/college. Also, see if there is a school/college newspaper or magazine that you could help work on - and if not, set one up yourself. All of these things will look fab on personal statements and CVs for the future, as well as giving you insight into a journalism career to see if it really is what you want to do.

Good luck choosing :smile: Have a look around and pick courses you think will interest and excite you, as well as helping you on your way in your career.
Reply 2
ah thanks for the help:smile: I think history could be a good thing for me to take, but I was wondering whether it would be better for me to take government and politics? Also, I did consider french but then I was worried that my chosen subjects would be too similar?:smile:
I was considering it at one point but I have no idea now.

I'm taking: History, Economics, ICT and Government and Politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by hannahcx
ah thanks for the help:smile: I think history could be a good thing for me to take, but I was wondering whether it would be better for me to take government and politics? Also, I did consider french but then I was worried that my chosen subjects would be too similar?:smile:

To be honest, pick the one you prefer as you'll gain the same skills from both. Another language is fantastic for journalism, it could open a whole host of new opportunities :biggrin:. As long as you have good work experience, having similar subjects does no harm.
Reply 5
Language would be great! I'm also interested in journalism myself, having taken English Lit, History, Music and French at AS, dropping French for A2, which have been a really good mix. Gov&Politics would be a good choice certainly. I would say try to find subjects that help you understand the world better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending