The Student Room Group

Compromising with my UCAS

I achieved A in Business and Economics, C in both Maths with Statistics and Geography and lastly an E in Physics all at AS-Level, with an E in Philosophy and Ethics taken in year 11. My predicted grades are ABC respectively (I dropped Physics).

However, I believe I can retain that A in B&E and retake two maths modules and get a strong A in that too, while scoring highly in my final Geography exams will get me a B. As that comes out as AAB overall, I would consider that a decent set of results. Will universities see it that way?

How do I prove to Universities that I can achieve those grades? I am fully aware that I may have to just accept that I will be going to a lesser University but is there some way I can choose courses that require lower grades like ABB and then switch to a better uni with AAB if I achieve those grades through a process like clearing or something?

I would really appreciate some advice, outline any details that would help you answer my questions more easily, thanks.

Zack
If you get better grades than expected, then you can go through Adjustment. Adjustment is like a no-risk version of Clearing that allows those who have met and exceeded their offer to trade up without having to forfeit their existing place at uni. The unis in Adjustment are by and large the same as those that are in Clearing - this means that you will not have a full set of unis to choose from, though how limited it is changes from year to year.

Alternatively, you could take a gap year and apply next year, when you have your grades in hand. That way, you know exactly where to target your offers, you can choose from the full range of unis, and you don't have the stress of dealing with Adjustment on results day.
Reply 2
So should I fully focus on achieving the best grades I can by the end of the year? (I do not want to wait a year).
Original post by Niglar
So should I fully focus on achieving the best grades I can by the end of the year? (I do not want to wait a year).

Yes, do focus on getting the best grades possible. It's all very well and good being predicted ABC / predicting yourself AAB, but if you don't actually get those grades then it's meaningless - counterproductive, even.

Four step programme:
1. Find universities that you would be genuinely happy to go to, and which are within your grade range (maybe one at ABB + 2 or three at ABC / 300 points and one or two at BBC).
2. Research which universities you would apply to if (a) you were eligible for Adjustment, and (b) those unis were in Adjustment.
3. Work your socks off to get the grades.
4. On results day, either (a) celebrate because you've got the grades and are going to your firm choice, or (b) celebrate because you've exceeded your offer and are eligible for Adjustment (and then get on the phone asap - you've got an advantage if you've got the research done already), or hopefully unlikely (c) commiserate because you've missed your offer and are going to your insurance / through Clearing / having an unintentional gap year.

Do consider what you might do with a gap year if you had one - I had an unintentional gap year and in the end it was one of the best things that's ever happened to me. However, the key is to find a job asap after finishing your A Level exams, so that you can start building up a nest egg in time to go travelling. Gap years aren't the end of the world, and when used productively can do you a lot of good.
Reply 4
I feel like applying to Uni's below ABB is beneath me, as pompous as it sounds. And believe me I am definitely NOT pompous.

What do you mean by unintentional btw? What circumstances did you find yourself in if that is ok to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Niglar
I feel like applying to Uni's below ABB is beneath me, as pompous as it sounds. And believe me I am definitely NOT pompous.

What do you mean by unintentional btw? What circumstances did you find yourself in if that is ok to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps not normally pompous, but saying that applying to sub-ABB universities is beneath you does have the potential to make you come over as pompous. You don't have much choice in the matter to be honest - five ABB applications when you are only predicted ABC is very risky. That is not only because not having the required grades will mean an instant rejection at some unis, but because there's a danger that you'll miss your offer. We normally recommend that you don't apply to more than one uni that is above your predicted grades.

Remember, the unis won't be able to see what grades you think you'll get, and so will have to rely on AS grades and A2 predictions, neither of which support the idea of you getting ABB+. You're also over a rather awkward grade boundary, because places for students with ABB+ are uncapped, but places for students with less than ABB are still capped by the government. This means that unis do not have as much leeway as they might like.

If you definitely want to avoid a gap year, then I would suggest that you do find some ABC / 300-point universities that you would be happy to go to.

My gap year was unintentional because I was told I'd missed my firm offer, and then decided that I didn't want my insurance place, or the place I was offered in Clearing. However, one module was strangely low, so I got a priority remark, and it rose enough that I actually met my firm offer. Unfortunately, by that point they said it was too late, but that I could get deferred entry. So I took a gap year! I was pretty upset on results day, but actually, with hindsight, I'm really glad that things turned out how they did.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Niglar

If nothing else, you should aim to get the best results you can, I have seen several grad schemes that require a 2:1 from (any) uni and 320 (ABB) at levels.
Reply 7
I guess I will put down Uni's that I'll get into for sure and then focus on getting the best grades, in that case I will just have to enter adjustment if I manage to get AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Everyone wants to get As and go to the top unis, but that's just not achievable for everyone. I got an E in AS geography, I redid it and ended up with 1 ums off a B at A2, but I didn't have to improve all my grades that much, and I struggle to see how people do, although some people do manage it.
Don't get your predicted grades made higher
Original post by Niglar

Zack

If you want to apply to more ABB options I'd recommend trying to get your teacher who predicted you a C to predict a B if you can! (+1 grades isn't too far fetched) and then you'll have much better chances with the ABB places.

If that does happen and you really dont like the sound of below ABB's I'd go for 3 ABB's one in he region of BBB-BBC and one in the region of BCC. If you get ABB, even if you get all rejections you'll have a good chance of finding one through adjustment/clearing because (as previously mentioned) theres no cap on ABB students :smile:
Original post by anonymouspie227
Don't get your predicted grades made higher

Why?? ACC-ABB would be considered pretty normal?
Original post by Dr. Django
Why?? ACC-ABB would be considered pretty normal?

When I said higher I meant reflecting what you think you can get. As in AAB instead of ABC/ABB.
You got acce Im sure you'll get AAB etc but i don't think AAB would appear likely to some/ realistic to your unis. But what do I know lol

Edit: I realise you're not op, sorry for wrong pronoun use
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by nic-nac
Everyone wants to get As and go to the top unis, but that's just not achievable for everyone. I got an E in AS geography, I redid it and ended up with 1 ums off a B at A2, but I didn't have to improve all my grades that much, and I struggle to see how people do, although some people do manage it.

Didn't have to improve all your grades that much for what?
Reply 14
Original post by Niglar
Didn't have to improve all your grades that much for what?
What do you mean ?? It was only geography that I did bad in, so the only subject I had to work extra for, because I needed at least a C in it, preferably a B to get into uni. But some people get all Es then think it's easy to turn them into all As, when its not.
Reply 15
Ah okay where did you go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Niglar
Ah okay where did you go

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing that's aimed at me? I went to Australia on a working holiday visa :smile:
Reply 17
Nah it was for Nic Nac but thanks anyways haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest