oranjuice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone,

with an electrical engineering degree from a top uk uni like imperial/ucl
#

what job prospects are there for me in the future, where can I work? how much can I earn?

one last question, do electrical engineering graduates become electricians, some electricians I have spoken to said they didn't even go to uni so im abit confused.
SummerAnthems
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Electricians are skilled labourers, they don't need a university degree. Usually electricians have some form of trade training and accreditation from a nationally recognised institution; this can be through an apprenticeship for example. Electricians do the actual work of installation and maintenance of systems.
Electrical Engineers don't get their hands dirty like an electrician, an engineer must have at least a Bachelors degree, usually a Masters. Engineers plan and design the systems that Electricians will install.
Both are well paying jobs.

There are plenty of job opportunities for Electical/Electronic Engineers in the UK including:
- Transport networks, including rail electrification and signalling
- Power generation, transmission and distribution
- Renewable energy sources, such as solar panelling, hydroelectric and wind turbines
- Manufacturing and construction
- Building services, such as lighting, heating, ventilation and lift systems.

Pay for a graduate Engineer starts of in the region of £20,000 to £25,000
Once an experienced incorporated engineer (Gained by professional registreation and demonstration of competencies, within about 3-5 years of graduating) pay can be £28,000 to £38,000
Once a Chartered Engineer (demonstration of higher level competencies) pay can be £40,000 to £50,000
After that managerial and corporate positions open up increasing your pay potential massively.

I graduated with an MEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, worked for a number of defence contractors and now work in Broadcast Engineering for a radio station network. I'm currently working towards getting incorporated.
oranjuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by SummerAnthems)
Electricians are skilled labourers, they don't need a university degree. Usually electricians have some form of trade training and accreditation from a nationally recognised institution; this can be through an apprenticeship for example. Electricians do the actual work of installation and maintenance of systems.
Electrical Engineers don't get their hands dirty like an electrician, an engineer must have at least a Bachelors degree, usually a Masters. Engineers plan and design the systems that Electricians will install.
Both are well paying jobs.

There are plenty of job opportunities for Electical/Electronic Engineers in the UK including:
- Transport networks, including rail electrification and signalling
- Power generation, transmission and distribution
- Renewable energy sources, such as solar panelling, hydroelectric and wind turbines
- Manufacturing and construction
- Building services, such as lighting, heating, ventilation and lift systems.

Pay for a graduate Engineer starts of in the region of £20,000 to £25,000
Once an experienced incorporated engineer (Gained by professional registreation and demonstration of competencies, within about 3-5 years of graduating) pay can be £28,000 to £38,000
Once a Chartered Engineer (demonstration of higher level competencies) pay can be £40,000 to £50,000
After that managerial and corporate positions open up increasing your pay potential massively.

I graduated with an MEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, worked for a number of defence contractors and now work in Broadcast Engineering for a radio station network. I'm currently working towards getting incorporated.
hello, thanks for the very informative reply... at the moment I cant decide between civil and electrical engineering. I love civil, the creativity and the fact that you can actually point to your accomplishments, however I'm really interested in electronics and the applications of electrical engineers. By the time you reach a managerial position your probably around 40 years+ right
SummerAnthems
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by oranjuice)
hello, thanks for the very informative reply... at the moment I cant decide between civil and electrical engineering. I love civil, the creativity and the fact that you can actually point to your accomplishments, however I'm really interested in electronics and the applications of electrical engineers.
I'm guessing you're still at school? If you're having trouble deciding, get yourself down to a university open day and book onto both the civil and electrical engineering talks. Try and speak to some of the current students and see how they enjoy it, what their job prospects are.

We had a saying at one of the defence companies I worked for; mechanical and electrical engineers built weapons, civil engineers built targets

By the time you reach a managerial position your probably around 40 years+ right
That depends how good you are!
oranjuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by SummerAnthems)
I'm guessing you're still at school? If you're having trouble deciding, get yourself down to a university open day and book onto both the civil and electrical engineering talks. Try and speak to some of the current students and see how they enjoy it, what their job prospects are.

We had a saying at one of the defence companies I worked for; mechanical and electrical engineers built weapons, civil engineers built targets

That depends how good you are!
"We had a saying at one of the defence companies I worked for; mechanical and electrical engineers built weapons, civil engineers built targets " hahahahahahaha that made me laugh good point... but why build weapons and have a war mentality in the 1st place....

by "how good you are", could you please elaborate who makes the desicion on if your good enough or not?

Thanks!

and by the way working for these big companies is really hard right, ie network rail etc for both civil and electrical does it depend on how well you do at uni etc?
SummerAnthems
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
by "how good you are", could you please elaborate who makes the desicion on if your good enough or not?
Well as for whether you get those jobs or not, that's down to the employer who will look at your past experience and qualifications. Engineering is all about taking responsibility for building up your own skills and experience, nobody else is going to do it for you. A benchmark for this is obtaining further qualifications (IEng and CEng) from a professional society like the IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology).
You'll need to demonstrate well rounded skills by providing examples of where you have obtained and practiced these skills. The IET Competence Guidelines can be found here.

and by the way working for these big companies is really hard right, ie network rail etc for both civil and electrical does it depend on how well you do at uni etc?
You will need to start looking for graduate schemes in the year or two before you leave university, some companies will even sponsor you through university on condition you join them afterwards. Typically to get onto grad schemes, you will need at least a 2:1.
It is hard and it will be difficult, but the career prospects at the end are brilliant and the progression up the career ladder is very quick. I didn't enjoy my course very much but I absolutely love my job!
Schwartzslyzzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Interesting stuff over here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.27%
I'm not sure (59)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (626)
48.83%

Watched Threads