The Student Room Group

Do you universities care about which GCSE options you choose?

Poll

Do universities care about which GCSE options you choose?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if universities care about which GCSE options you chose, because I'm not sure if I should take a strong subject or an easy one for year 11.

Thanks
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if universities care about which GCSE options you chose, because I'm not sure if I should take a strong subject or an easy one for year 11.

Thanks

Whatever you do, you should aim to get a good grade
Uni's often look at grades but don't give a **** about what you did- except the compulsory subjects i.e. (Maths, English Lan).

However, at A-level you should pick wisely and make sure it's relevant to what degree/course you're looking to do at Uni. (Look at degree requirements for preferred a- level choices)
Reply 2
Totally agree that as long as you get a good grade in the GCSE, universities won't care what subject it is. However, maybe think about picking a subject that will open up your choices for which A Levels you can choose?

Just pick something you enjoy and something you think you can do well at :smile:
Original post by walshie
Totally agree that as long as you get a good grade in the GCSE, universities won't care what subject it is. However, maybe think about picking a subject that will open up your choices for which A Levels you can choose?

Just pick something you enjoy and something you think you can do well at :smile:

That's definitely a politer way of putting it ^^ :biggrin:
I highly doubt that they care, as long as you get good grades in the core subjects. Unless you pick all totally stupid ones (which actually sometimes aren't that easy - one of my friends did media studies and it was her worst grade...).
Pick subjects you enjoy and are good at - and if you have an idea of which A levels you are interested in picking obviously pick relevant ones for those since that will make your life easier at A level...
Original post by subjectman10
Whatever you do, you should aim to get a good grade
Uni's often look at grades but don't give a **** about what you did- except the compulsory subjects i.e. (Maths, English Lan).

However, at A-level you should pick wisely and make sure it's relevant to what degree/course you're looking to do at Uni. (Look at degree requirements for preferred a- level choices)

Thanks for the advice.

Original post by walshie

Well, most of the subjects I enjoy are considered harder, :tongue:

Original post by dragonkeeper999
I highly doubt that they care, as long as you get good grades in the core subjects. Unless you pick all totally stupid ones (which actually sometimes aren't that easy - one of my friends did media studies and it was her worst grade...).
Pick subjects you enjoy and are good at - and if you have an idea of which A levels you are interested in picking obviously pick relevant ones for those since that will make your life easier at A level...

Yeh, I'm interested in doing Maths, Biology, chemistry, economics/physics.
It doesn't really make a difference but I say a humanity, a language, an art and something else is always a good choice.

Although loads of languages would be best :wink:
Triple Science definitely if you want to do a sciencey degree, a language or two and a humanities subject, preferably History and/or Geog, both Lit and Lang although I only know schools that have doing both of them as compulsory and maybe an arts subject like Music or Art

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Just do what you can get a good grade in as this is what they look at most, so long as you have the core ones in there and perhaps a language they don't really mind. That said, you do need to take things that will keep your options open at A level as your choices there do matter, this shouldn't be too much of an issue if you take what you enjoy though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and you can't apply to UCL unless you have an MFL at GCSE.
Original post by Tarquin Digby
If you want to go to a Russell group you must have triple science, history, geography and at least 2 languages.

Go away troll.

Not true either.

I have one language at GCSE, my only official qualification in it so far.
Original post by Tarquin Digby
If you want to go to a Russell group you must have triple science, history, geography and at least 2 languages.

I only have one humanity and no university cares.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Provided you have the core subjects (maths, English Lang, English Lit etc), no, universities don't really care what you took - the one exception to this is that UCL wants you to take a modern foreign language. In terms of science, I'd recommend (if you're capable of it) you take triple science, or double science if that's what your school offers, because taking single science often means that you can't take science subjects beyond GCSE. Just leave your options open - take a humanity (geography, history or RE), take a modern language, take an arts-related subject (drama, art or DT) and you'll be fine, but above all do subjects you genuinely enjoy and are good at.
Original post by Georgiecat
Provided you have the core subjects (maths, English Lang, English Lit etc), no, universities don't really care what you took - the one exception to this is that UCL wants you to take a modern foreign language. In terms of science, I'd recommend (if you're capable of it) you take triple science, or double science if that's what your school offers, because taking single science often means that you can't take science subjects beyond GCSE. Just leave your options open - take a humanity (geography, history or RE), take a modern language, take an arts-related subject (drama, art or DT) and you'll be fine, but above all do subjects you genuinely enjoy and are good at.

You missed out Music for the arts. ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
You missed out Music for the arts. ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I was just giving random examples! But yes, music is definitely an art too :smile:
Reply 15
Other than the compulsory subjects (which they do care about), your options aren't too important. If you think you may want to do a subject at college or university then you should do it at GCSE, especially if it's an academic subject. I know that I needed at least a B in GCSE biology to do biology at College. I also think that you are much more likely to do courses at college that you have done at GCSE, for example I didn't do History at GCSE and that put me off the idea of doing it at college, as I knew so little and wasn't sure whether I'd like it. So unless you might like to do one of your options after GCSE, just chose something you enjoy and can do well in :smile:
Generally they couldn't care less. But some universities require certain GCSE grades, the main ones are Maths and English - so look out for them. For example Computer Science at King's requires a B in GCSE Maths (from what I see they actually enforce it).

Quick Reply