The Student Room Group

Should we teach children about sexism/feminism?

Our generation face the same kind of situation our parents did as we reach adulthood. By that I mean, women are still paid less. We're still less likely to be awarded promotions. We still form only a small minority of MPs...

My theory is, to dramatically change things for the next lot, we need to teach them about the prejudices women face, predominantly in the workplace, but also in wider society, and how feminism acts to prevent this.

Education does a lot of good, so could it help in this case?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not quite sure how telling students that women are paid less/are less represented in politics will do anything.

Do we not already cover this in Citizenship from years 7 to 11? I know I did. That being said, it was a subject very few people cared about, so I doubt any education would be effective.
There is more than enough awareness of this - any more and you will just cause resentment amongst boys and young men, who had nothing to do with this, and will feel undersupported.

It will filter through if we teach children to treat everyone equally. It takes time - almost completely turning around a thousand years of prejudice in a hundred years is pretty quick as it is.
No. It's a thing that shouldn't be preached, IMO.
Don't teach it - rather anti-teach it. If a child never experiences sexism, they'll not be sexist.
Reply 5
I don't know if classes on feminism would be particularly effective, especially to a group of teenagers who don't give a rat's ass and just want it to be lunchtime already.

I think extra classes on related topics should be added for awareness - though like the above poster said, it's often incorporated into Citizenship and whatnot - but the biggest thing I think that needs to be sorted out is attitude. There should be stricter crackdowns on disgusting/ sexist/ harassment behaviour, because most kids make their final perceptions of men and women and their roles in society during adolescence, when they're at their most impressionable. More emphasis on highlighting the importance of consent and teaching why slut-shaming/ victim-blaming is bad etc.

Just generally teach a more respecting attitude.
Reply 6
Original post by Octohedral
There is more than enough awareness of this - any more and you will just cause resentment amongst boys and young men, who had nothing to do with this, and will feel undersupported.

It will filter through if we teach children to treat everyone equally. It takes time - almost completely turning around a thousand years of prejudice in a hundred years is pretty quick as it is.

:lol: The problem with sexism at its crux.

"Don't tell the guys straightforwardly or they'll get offended and pissed off."
I can't see this being given a whole slot in the timetable every week, but it might do good for students to discuss current events and learn about women's rights amongst many other things by gaining an awareness of the world around them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
No, I'd say rather teach them good values and the way things should be. As they grow older, they can get more information about the injustices that are being done. It will seem wrong to them then as they see the contrast.

I'm afraid it'll just turn in to nagging. It certainly does for me. If they are taught about sexism, the focus should be on Third World countries, where women are really suffering.
Original post by Millie228
No, I'd say rather teach them good values and the way things should be. As they grow older, they can get more information about the injustices that are being done. It will seem wrong to them then as they see the contrast.

I'm afraid it'll just turn in to nagging. It certainly does for me. If they are taught about sexism, the focus should be on Third World countries, where women are really suffering.

Part of the problem with sexism is that many good moral people are ignorant of its existence. Just teaching good values isn't enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by AWJChadders
I can't see this being given a whole slot in the timetable every week, but it might do good for students to discuss current events and learn about women's rights amongst many other things by gaining an awareness of the world around them.

I'm not saying a slot in the time table, but maybe dedicate a life/PHSE/RE class to it once every now and again
Reply 11
Original post by IlexBlue
I don't know if classes on feminism would be particularly effective, especially to a group of teenagers who don't give a rat's ass and just want it to be lunchtime already.

I think extra classes on related topics should be added for awareness - though like the above poster said, it's often incorporated into Citizenship and whatnot - but the biggest thing I think that needs to be sorted out is attitude. There should be stricter crackdowns on disgusting/ sexist/ harassment behaviour, because most kids make their final perceptions of men and women and their roles in society during adolescence, when they're at their most impressionable. More emphasis on highlighting the importance of consent and teaching why slut-shaming/ victim-blaming is bad etc.

Just generally teach a more respecting attitude.

I'm not sure that's a particularly good reason not to teach a class. If it were, there'd be far fewer lessons in general. Besides, I think it's too late once they're teenagers. Year 7 is probably the best time for it.

Victim-blaming/slut-shaming are good examples of societal sexism. But I think, like many other types of sexism, it goes under the radar a lot of the time. People either don't know it's happening, or, more often, don't understand why it's damaging to women.

So why not dedicate a class to it?
Reply 12
Original post by William Turtle
Don't teach it - rather anti-teach it. If a child never experiences sexism, they'll not be sexist.

But they will experience it. It's the norm in our society.
Reply 13
Original post by SHallowvale
I'm not quite sure how telling students that women are paid less/are less represented in politics will do anything.

Do we not already cover this in Citizenship from years 7 to 11? I know I did. That being said, it was a subject very few people cared about, so I doubt any education would be effective.

Not everyone does Citizenship.
Reply 14
Better to improve the command of STEM subjects than something as useless as this.
Reply 15
Would rather do an extra GCSE option than some ridiculous qualification called Feminism for example.

You can't dilute peoples perceptions from the school years, A-level psychology and sociology classes create feminists (unfortunately).

Take a look at this video Feminists, tell me right in my face that there's nothing wrong with it:

[video="youtube;pkDGx_dB10M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkDGx_dB10M[/video]

Egalitarianism all the way, Feminism is a dying cause. Mathematicians, Philosophers, Scientists, Doctors, Linguists etc are far more useful than a bunch of rowdy feminists who take sociology :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
No
Original post by techno-thriller
No

An elegant, well crafted argument

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by JuiceInTheBox
Our generation face the same kind of situation our parents did as we reach adulthood. By that I mean, women are still paid less. We're still less likely to be awarded promotions. We still form only a small minority of MPs...

My theory is, to dramatically change things for the next lot, we need to teach them about the prejudices women face, predominantly in the workplace, but also in wider society, and how feminism acts to prevent this.

Education does a lot of good, so could it help in this case?

@ Bold

what about male sexism? Or are we going to treat that as a non-issue? :rolleyes:
Original post by Ameliapond
@ Bold

what about male sexism? Or are we going to treat that as a non-issue? :rolleyes:

If we eliminate sexism against women, then sexism against men will also be eliminated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending