The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

What is it like being an English student in Queen's? (As in from GB)

I was wondering what it was like being an English student from Queen's. I know that the majority are N. Irish but I want to know if that affects making new friends or the general University atmosphere for a new English student. Thanks.
Hi, I'm considering applying for Queen's too! I'm from the South of England and I'm also worried about how hard it would be to make friends, how lonely it would be at weekends, etc. I'll keep watching this thread, ahh, this is so stressful because I want to send my UCAS form off soon but I just can't make decisions!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
There seems to be a lot of people worrying about this kind of thing.
Honestly don't!
It could be quite annoying as many students do go home for the weekend but if you get a part time job or need to study then those weekends will soon be a blessing!
Living in Belfast is great, ive been here 3 months from the mainland. The people are great and there is just a lot of things that are misunderstood for those from the mainland.
You'll learn more about the history over here etc as you go along and there are plenty of people who will tell you its not what it used to be.
Theres a different generation about now and generally I've found people a lot more open and many say they love places in england and will have questions for you as you do them.
Dont let the fear of the unknown stop you from applying :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
This question seems to get asked a lot, are we made out to be monsters in England, Scotland and Wales....
Reply 4
You're from the mainland of UK and ur worried? Try being an international student :tongue:

I'm hoping to firm QUB, and I'm from Malaysia. This is something that concerns me as well, but I'm sure N. Irish are a friendly bunch. I suck at making friends as I'm such an introvert. Maybe I could make some friends here first? Lol.
Reply 5
We are all lovely :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Jayni26
We are all lovely :smile:

You'd better be :tongue:
Reply 7
Anything anybody want to ask me, being a first year student at QUB. I'll try to reply to you if I can!:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by asr11
Anything anybody want to ask me, being a first year student at QUB. I'll try to reply to you if I can!:biggrin:

What's the law school like? Do you know any law student? How expensive is Belfast? I'm going to get only 800 pounds per month, will that suffice to pay the rental fees, food, transportation etc?
Reply 9
Original post by mderi2012
What's the law school like? Do you know any law student? How expensive is Belfast? I'm going to get only 800 pounds per month, will that suffice to pay the rental fees, food, transportation etc?

Don't know too much about the law school, being an engineer but I hear it's very well respected. I know 1 or 2 law students. Belfast is not a very expensive place to live providing you don't overspend and manage your money wisely. I'm guessing you would be staying in Elms which is around 400 pounds a month, the food is not expensive at all and you don't really need to transport to Queens as it takes like 10 minutes to walk to the university. Hope this helps:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending