The Student Room Group

Sandwich degree (Year Long Placement)

I am probably going to University to study Civil Engineering and an option is avaliable to do a year long placement, which I think is paid.

Does anybody have any experience in this, because I am wondering what it is like and what would you do?
Reply 1
Typically they are paid, but it's down to you to find a job and apply. At least for mechanical engineering, around 1/3 went on placements last year, so it's not something guaranteed, but it's certainly worth doing. For us the average salary is around £15,500, but typically £14-£17k from the ones I've seen. I have applied to 3 placement schemes so far (I have an interview with 2, and did a first-round assessment with another), but I have another dozen to try for... It takes a fair bit of effort as placements can be rare.

What will you be doing? You'll be working as a professional engineer. The type of work you do will depend on which company you apply for and what schemes they're running. I'm not too familiar with civil engineering, but I have applied to some jobs working on engines, others on high performance cars, some building chassis for motorbikes, etc.

A benefit (other than getting paid) is that you may secure a job with that company for when you graduate. You will also generally be better looking to employers as you'll have a year of experience over all the other graduates. You will return to your studies as a more focused engineer and this will help you to boost your grades. It is well worth considering. If you don't get a placement, you'll just return to studies as normal.

Quick Reply

Latest