The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you deny that there are no girls that don't sleep around, smoke or do drugs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by thegreatperhaps
Maybe someone's been watching too much Skins...
I'm ashamed to say that i've never watched that show in my life.
:eek:
I deny it but unlike a lot of the previous posters, I'm not going to get on my high horse because I admit I've done all three.
Original post by suzylemonade
Yes, I deny it. I don't sleep around, smoke or do drugs. And there are plenty of others like me

Same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I fdont
Original post by thoyub
There are people implying there are very few past the age of 18 and that the majority of girls do these things and they are starting at earlier ages etc.

But there are others who seem to be saying that girls who do this stuff are in the minority and there are lots who don't do this stuff.

So right now i'm slightly confused and am in two minds really..

About 2 or 3 people have said it might (Might. Not even definitely) be possible that some girls over the age of 18 would do these things. Nowhere in their posts did it mention that the majority. All the girls on here saying they don't do these things vastly outweighs the posts which girls could do these things. Girls (including myself) have told you time and time again that they don't smoke, do drugs and sleep around.
I'm not sure what is so confusing about all of this.
I'm a girl and I do them all. And what.
Having sex, drinking alcohol, smoking and taking drugs( which are prescribed too, you should know) do not reduce a persons worth, nor make them a bad person. (obvi using protection etc) Also, people can do what they like with their life. Their body their choices bro.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thoyub
True. Often before university.
Starting earlier? People go to university at 18 or 19, mostly.

Up until October 2007 it was legal to buy cigarettes at 16!

The age of consent has remained 16, of course, since 1885, prior to which it was 12 or 13. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Law_Amendment_Act_1885

You realise that people can get married at 16, too? In Scotland without parental consent, and in England and Wales with parental consent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Starting earlier? People go to university at 18 or 19, mostly.

Up until October 2007 it was legal to buy cigarettes at 16!

The age of consent has remained 16, of course, since 1885, prior to which it was 12 or 13. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Law_Amendment_Act_1885

You realise that people can get married at 16, too? In Scotland without parental consent, and in England and Wales with parental consent.

Ok then. But people often start these things at the same time they start university. It's not very common for girls to smoke or do drugs before the age of 18 (university age).
Reply 88
Original post by pink pineapple
About 2 or 3 people have said it might (Might. Not even definitely) be possible that some girls over the age of 18 would do these things. Nowhere in their posts did it mention that the majority. All the girls on here saying they don't do these things vastly outweighs the posts which girls could do these things. Girls (including myself) have told you time and time again that they don't smoke, do drugs and sleep around.
I'm not sure what is so confusing about all of this.

On page 2 Little Boots said "I deny it, but it is true for the majority"

Girls have mentioned just now that they do these things. I don't know what to believe now.
Original post by thoyub
Ok then. But people often start these things at the same time they start university. It's not very common for girls to smoke or do drugs before the age of 18 (university age).
You didn't go to my school...:biggrin: Who is "people"? Have you actually been to any university, never mind surveyed the habits of students at all universities?

Half of year 11 at my school left their exams early, because they needed a smoke!

Some males and females smoke; some don't. Some start early; some start late; some never start at all.

In my town, girls mostly started smoking at 14. If they'd made it to 18 without starting, they definitely didn't start burning their money then! Especially not if they were hard-working enough to go to university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thoyub

Girls have mentioned just now that they do these things. I don't know what to believe now.
Instead of persistently obsessing over anecdotal evidence, either
1) accept that individual males and females make different choices, and don't obsess over the ratio, or;
2) go and look at the official NHS statistics. They've been given to you before.

Or you could simply go on with cherry-picking posts that nearly agree with you, and pretend that they justify your belief that all young women smoke, drink and "sleep around".
Original post by thoyub

That's one person, it's hardly like every single person has said girls do these things. You can't come to a conclusion from what one person or a few people say.
Some girls do these things, yes but the majority over 18 don't. It's that simple, I don't why you keep making it out to be like rocket science.
Reply 92
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Instead of persistently obsessing over anecdotal evidence, either
1) accept that individual males and females make different choices, and don't obsess over the ratio, or;
2) go and look at the official NHS statistics. They've been given to you before.

Or you could simply go on with cherry-picking posts that nearly agree with you, and pretend that they justify your belief that all young women smoke, drink and "sleep around".

Well posts like those have the power to sway my opinion massively, just saying. I have seen the statistics and would like to believe they positively reflect the behaviour of young women as well but there is no way of knowing that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends where you go to look for girls. There are plenty of places where you'll find a very low percentage of the girls that do that sort of thing, and some places where virtually all of them do all three. It's not difficult to find a multitude of people that fit any combination as long as you expand your search enough. But certain habits go with certain personality types/interests, so if you're basing this on the types of girls you'll see in clubs then I'm not surprised that you think the ratio is so low - it goes with the scene, really.
Thoyub doing what Thoyub does best. :rolleyes:
Reply 95
Original post by pink pineapple
That's one person, it's hardly like every single person has said girls do these things. You can't come to a conclusion from what one person or a few people say.
Some girls do these things, yes but the majority over 18 don't. It's that simple, I don't why you keep making it out to be like rocket science.

I really want that to be true. But when people imply the majority do, even if it's just one person, it affects my opinions because I listen to everyone on this.
I'm not trying to be offensive or condescending or anything but are you 100% sure that that's true? You honestly aren't just saying that?

I just need the honest truth about how things really are.
Original post by thoyub
Well posts like those have the power to sway my opinion massively, just saying. I have seen the statistics and would like to believe they positively reflect the behaviour of young women as well but there is no way of knowing that.
And why is that? It's called confirmation bias, matey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

So you're convinced you can't trust the NHS stats, but you can trust your personal quantification of random posts from random people on the internet. Why is that? Because then you can hear what you want to hear!

I really want that to be true. But when people imply the majority do, even if it's just one person, it affects my opinions because I listen to everyone on this.
No, you don't. You listen to the people who agree with what you think you already know. Now, for goodness sake, stop hanging around Lava every Saturday night, looking longingly at girls in hotpants, and go to the library and read something.

I happen to know full well that Oxford Central has a good maths section.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by thoyub
This is a simple question so there's no need to get upset about it.

Do you deny the statement that there are no girls that don't sleep around, smoke or do drugs?

And if so, do you actually believe that there are girls that don't do that stuff or are you just saying random stuff because you don't really know what you're talking about?

Just a simple question.

Of course there are girls that don't sleep around, smoke and do drugs.
But there are a similar amount of girls, maybe more, that do. :smile:
I do all of those things, sue me.
Reply 99
Original post by staticas
Of course there are girls that don't sleep around, smoke and do drugs.
But there are a similar amount of girls, maybe more, that do. :smile:
Maybe more. Oh dear.

Latest

Trending

Trending