The Student Room Group

advice needed

hi all, my situation is quite complicated, but will try to keep this post brief:

I am a 21 years old, never had a serious relationship.
In the last year I really liked two girls: the most recent one is very christian and just told me she can't have a relationship with me if I don't convert, I am obviously not going to.
The previous one left for a very far country (and there were other non minor complications)

I find myself alone, as most of my years have passed, so I am wondering:
should I just start dating one of the girls that have been trying to get with me but that I have always rejected.
One of them is also quite good looking, I just don't find her very intelligent, but then again maybe that could help me get rid of my sense of superiority?

It is terrible to live this way: 95% of the times I start a conversation, I feel like my interlocutor is an idiot :frown:
Reply 1
This is going to be harsh, and I'll probably get bad rep from it- but here goes.... Welcome to life as a smart and intellectually bored person... your relationships aren't necessarily meant to satisfy you intellectually. The girls who want to be with you are there for emotional and physical support, and it does not have to be serious. So try them out, casually.
Reply 2
Original post by SK3PTIK4L
This is going to be harsh, and I'll probably get bad rep from it- but here goes.... Welcome to life as a smart and intellectually bored person... your relationships aren't necessarily meant to satisfy you intellectually. The girls who want to be with you are there for emotional and physical support, and it does not have to be serious. So try them out, casually.

You can't.

Also, your advice is garbage-ignore it OP.
Reply 3
Original post by Midlander
You can't.

Also, your advice is garbage-ignore it OP.
Ahh....I didn't mean the 'rep' system, I meant actual reputation. A lot of my classmates are on here. OK. What do you suggest the guy does?
Reply 4
Ahh....I didn't mean the 'rep' system, I meant actual reputation. A lot of my classmates are on here. OK. What do you suggest the guy does?

He should realise that his 'intellectual superiority' is manifesting itself as arrogance which is putting off women he could have a meaningful relationship with.
Reply 5
Original post by Midlander
He should realise that his 'intellectual superiority' is manifesting itself as arrogance which is putting off women he could have a meaningful relationship with.
I agree, the 'superiority' thing is arrogance. However, I have found that talking to people both cleverer and slower than me, there are definite limitations to the kind of intellectual conversations we can have. Some people 'click' on a mental level. But if he hasn't found that woman, and he doesn't want to be lonely, then he could change his standards :smile:
My advice would be to move on and hopefully you'll find a person who is just as intelligent as you are. Just don't dwell in the past because your previous relationships just didn't work out. And that's okay. :smile:
Reply 7
I agree, the 'superiority' thing is arrogance. However, I have found that talking to people both cleverer and slower than me, there are definite limitations to the kind of intellectual conversations we can have. Some people 'click' on a mental level. But if he hasn't found that woman, and he doesn't want to be lonely, then he could change his standards :smile:

Most people have something unique to offer-and it's unlikely that someone will know more about every worthwhile topic than someone else. OP just needs to be a lot more open minded about this-opposites attract after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending