On Nexplanon, should I still use emergency contraception? Watch

This discussion is closed.
terra_nova.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have the Nexplanon implant, but I have always used condoms as well. Last night the condom broke, and I'm debating whether I should get emergency contraception.
I'd rather not take it as I had a bad experience with it before getting the implant (it was totally unnecessary then, but I can get paranoid about these things). On the other hand, a preganancy would be an even worse experience.

I know that if I were to talk to a healthcare professional I'd be told that the implant is 99% effective and that I should still use condoms. I was wondering how cautious other people are with these things.

Is it common to rely solely on the implant? And pardon the graphic-ness, if you use the implant but not condoms, do people ejaculate inside? Is that considered safe? (STI's excluded from discussion)
diamondsky99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A pharmacy or GP wouldn't give emergency contraception to you, even if you asked for it as you are extremely well protected with the implant.

99.9% of couples who have sex regularly for one year (with no condoms) would not get pregnant. That's one couple in one thousand who would, having regular sex.

Generally people use long acting forms of contraception, like the implant, do so as they no longer have to worry about condoms or pregnancy (STIs aside).

So 1) You don't need (and wouldn't get) emergency contraception and 2) People using the implant have regular sex without using condoms and still with ejaculating inside as a very very effective method of contraception.

Hope that helps!
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're on one of the most reliable forms of contraception available and, if you're in a committed long term relationship, you don't need to use condoms. Obviously, use them if you have more than one sexual partner, use them to protect from stis, but the whole point of long term contraception is that they protect you from pregnancy so you don't need to use condoms and your partner can ejaculate inside you without worry.
You definitely do not need emergency contraception and you shouldn't be offered it.

Obviously, if you feel more comfortable continuing to use condoms, then do so, but a condom breaking, or forgetting or running out and not using one once in a while or even foregoing them altogether is so unlikely to get you pregnant. You'd have to be ridiculously unlucky to get pregnant using the implant.
Leslie54
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So we don't need to use a condome if I have the implan
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not for contraception, no. The implant is the single most reliable form of contraception there is, even more so than having a sterilisation op.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
I have the implant, but my boyfriend and I had sex last night and after he had ejaculated we talked then he took the condom off and the we where talking and making out and he got hard again and was rubbing it on my 😸 can i get pregnant? I know I’m on the implant but it come out in 6 months and I’m just a lil scared
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have the implant, but my boyfriend and I had sex last night and after he had ejaculated we talked then he took the condom off and the we where talking and making out and he got hard again and was rubbing it on my 😸 can i get pregnant? I know I’m on the implant but it come out in 6 months and I’m just a lil scared
It is almost impossible. It is safe to rely on the implant for contraception for 3 years - if it wasn't, they would advise changing it more frequently.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
its Comes out
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
It comes out in 6 months
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It comes out in 6 months
So it's still active for 6 months then
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
He took off the condom but we were talking for a a while and the he started rubbing it on my vagina (he didn’t clean off his 🍆 before doing this) but he didn’t put it in. So that mean I Could’ve get pregnant? Even if It’s active for 6 moths ?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
Sorry I’m just young and I’m scared, me and my boyfriend have been together for a year. And I don’t wanna have a baby yet
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
He took off the condom but we were talking for a a while and the he started rubbing it on my vagina (he didn’t clean off his 🍆 before doing this) but he didn’t put it in. So that mean I Could’ve get pregnant? Even if It’s active for 6 moths ?
You should be fine.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (79)
36.41%
I really love the subject (57)
26.27%
I don't know what else to do (29)
13.36%
I can't get a job (15)
6.91%
My parents want me to (5)
2.3%