The Student Room Group

Peanut allergy rules me out?

Hey, I have a mild peanut allergy, only ever had one reaction, and I was about 6, nothing since, but I've mainly avoided them (obviously!)...on the rare occasion I've eaten something with peanuts in I've spat it out and been fine. I'm assuming however, this is going to completely rule me out of joining the RAF? I've had an epipen for god knows how long, and never had to use it.

bit **** :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Serentonin
Hey, I have a mild peanut allergy, only ever had one reaction, and I was about 6, nothing since, but I've mainly avoided them (obviously!)...on the rare occasion I've eaten something with peanuts in I've spat it out and been fine. I'm assuming however, this is going to completely rule me out of joining the RAF? I've had an epipen for god knows how long, and never had to use it.

Yep, from all Forces, 'fraid so.

The answer from the MoD is they cannot guarantee the food you'll get will be free of them (ie, on ops food might be in short supply and it's very much a "no choice, you get what you're given") and cannot guarantee you a supply of medicine to sort it out should anything happen. It's easier for them not to take the risk of employing someone who needs 'special' conditions than it is to guarantee those conditions.

This pdf shows it (page 3)
RAF Medical Conditions that preclude entry
A need to carry adrenaline injections (EPIPEN, etc)
Nut and peanut allergy
Egg allergy
Latex allergy
Specific vaccine allergy (including tetanus allergy)
Gluten sensitivity (Coeliac disease), any confirmed food intolerance which results in
symptoms when the preferred diet is unavailable
Reply 2
Have you actually been tested to check you do have a peanut allergy. If you've only ever reacted once, it might be something else in what you ate that was gone off or something??
Reply 3
I was properly tested as a kid yeah :frown: they said it often gets milder the older you get, but I've never gone and actually tested how bad it is lol.

Guess I better go find another career path then. bugger.
Reply 4
OR you do like someone did on my IOT, he was horrifically allergic to peanuts as a kid, AFCO rejected him on medical grounds, he paid for private allergy testing which showed he was no longer allergic, back to the AFCO with a nice shiney bomb proof let from a fancy private clinic and he was passed medically fit
Reply 5
Original post by Turbo_Crow
OR you do like someone did on my IOT, he was horrifically allergic to peanuts as a kid, AFCO rejected him on medical grounds, he paid for private allergy testing which showed he was no longer allergic, back to the AFCO with a nice shiney bomb proof let from a fancy private clinic and he was passed medically fit

Thanks. Could give it a go I suppose! At least then I'd know whether I'm still allergic or not too.
Reply 6
Original post by Serentonin

When you have food with peanuts in it that you spit out, do you do that because you taste them or because you can tell as you get the beginnings of a reaction? If the latter you probably are still allergic unfortunately. Anyway you don't even need to go to a private clinic, you could ask if your GP could refer you to allergy clinic for testing.
Reply 7
Original post by *Liana*
When you have food with peanuts in it that you spit out, do you do that because you taste them or because you can tell as you get the beginnings of a reaction? If the latter you probably are still allergic unfortunately. Anyway you don't even need to go to a private clinic, you could ask if your GP could refer you to allergy clinic for testing.

Because I can taste them. I've only been told what happened when I ate peanuts, I don't actually remember myself, and I've never experienced anything since so I'm not sure what the beginnings of a reaction would feel like anyway haha. Ah really? My GP is really nice so I shall go and inquire :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I would get retested as allergies suffered as a child can disappear over time. If you are still allergic it is a no no I'm afraid.
Reply 9
So I rang my mother and asked about it, and she says I was diagnosed over the phone :erm: so I'm having a test next week. Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest