The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do

I recently started going out with a guy who I like a lot and I wanted to tell my parents about him. Problem is that they're quite controlling and still see me as a child even though I'm 19.

I told my mum about him and she started shouting at me and now she's told my dad and they're both really angry. I really do like this guy and I want my parents to be fine with me seeing him but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Any advice?
Reply 1
I understand that you want your parents to like and get along with your boyfriend, everyone wants their partner to be in a good relationship with their parents. It is sad that your parents are being like this, but at this stage you need to start teaching your controlling parents to suck it up and accept that you are your own person and can make your own decisions and mistakes in life. Try to explain this to them!
What is it that they don't like about him, is it just the fact that you have a boyfriend, or is there something about him particularly they don't like? Either way, try to talk to them calmly. If they don't accept normal conversation then unfortunately, if you like the guy and have a good feeling about him, I would continue to go out with him hoping that in time they will get used to the idea of you having a boyfriend. Please don't let your parents control your life, we all know parents mean good but they need to know when they are showing it in the wrong way, which is damaging to their children's feelings!
Good luck!
Reply 2
I was in a similar position with my parents disapproving of my boyfriend because I had A levels to focus on and I am quite academically competitive- but while my young heady 17 year old friends said 'fight for true love' 'its time you cut the apron strings' and 'why do you let your parents control you?' I acknowledged that actually, my parents are the bosses and they do decide the rules to live in their house. However, where I was 16/17 you are 19 and in Uni, so the situation is a little more estranged and you are far more independent than I was. I would accept your parents views but keep seeing the boy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending