The Student Room Group

English Language Film Review help and check please!

Hello, I am following the AQA specification for English language and next week we have two hours of controlled assessment to write about a film of our choice in a review style. I have wrote a draft out already and I was wondering if anybody could read it and help me answer the following, I would be so grateful!

Shall I memorise this and then write it up in the controlled assessment?

How can this be improved?

Approximately what grade could I get? I go to a grammar school where A* is the only good thing looked at really

Any tips and your general opinion of it?

I love films-the excitement and escapism of entering another world...another story; how the backdrop is so glamorous; the release is so exclusive and every last detail is perfected to a point of expert finesse. From science-fiction to romance, I have enthralled in a great many screenplays. However, none were even comparable to "The Great Gatsby", based on the classic book by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Dazzling, daring, decadent, the combination of DiCaprio, Mulligan, the 3D experience and amazing filming make this a film unlike any other.

Baz Luhrmann (who also directed Rome and Juliet and Moulin's Rouge) seamlessly captivates the timeless sophistication of the 1920s unto the 20th century, with an exhilarating modern twist, making "The Great Gatsby" one of the most well received classic adaptations today. The story follows writer Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) as he comes to an eclectic New York City in 1922 and discovers an era of sumptuous gatherings, loosening morals and glittering jazz amidst the splendour and magnificence of the parties thrown by his ambiguous neighbour, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio). Throughout the film, Nick unravels Gatsby's astonishing past, thus revealing his quest for Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan)-his one true love.

Gatsby's steely persistency for Daisy, played brilliantly by DiCaprio, keeps the plot intriguing throughout. Luhrmann has vividly captured Fitzgerald's portrayal of forbidden love similar to the style of Romeo and Juliet. Despite Daisy being already married, you feel compelled to want kindhearted Gatsby to win over her affections. The on-screen chemistry between Mulligan and DiCaprio is evident and if you have ever been in love so deeply, you can relate to the sense of longing, lust and never giving up. It doesn't stay that way though...

...The film also reaches into the depths of aristocracy and you cannot help but sympathise over the rise and fall of Gatsby. Once the elusive name on everybody's lips, Jay Gatsby slowly turns into a nobody, a faded memory. What sort of selfish, stubborn society is this? Even the most insensitive amongst us become moved to tears! But, we see Nick provide the light to Gatsby's lightbulb. Even though his whirlwind parties and tremendous gifts have vanished, loyalty remains in the form of Carraway as he still helps Gastby battle for Daisy; whilst everyone else has walked away. This point in the film makes you question who your true friends are and how Gatsby candidly handles this is extremely inspirational.

The production of the film is equally astonishing and goes above and beyond Luhrmann's usual unforgettably magical style. Consequently, the question is how did he successfully evolve a periodic classic into a 20th century film? Surely if he had used old-fashioned jazz music from the 1900s, "The Great Gatsby" would be more like a museum piece than a must-see film! Instead, a soundtrack featuring some of today's most renowned artists such as Alicia Keys, Lana Del Rey and Jay Z was created. In addition, the visuals of the film move it from the lifestyles of indulgence and wealth to an unjust and hostile civilisation. From the editing by Matt Villa (which makes the film more alive in 3D) to the revolutionary costumes designed by Miuccia Prada; the film is brought together with every last finishing touch perfectly put in place. It really is an eye pleaser.

Furthermore, the words "electrifying" and "captivating" do not do justice to DiCaprio's stellar performance and accurate representation of Jay Gatsby. Match this with Carey Mulligan's innocently sweet, Bambi-like expression and the result is an exquisite depiction of phenomenal raw talent. Such a good concoction of characters is the icing on the cake as we become truly enveloped into their believable performances.

You will feel like you have been on a rollercoaster by the end of it as the plot takes a remarkable number of twists and turns. The heartbreaking ending is very unexpected and almost too painful to watch! "The Great Gatsby" wonderfully comprises the decadence of a long-gone yet timeless era into today's world. Lovers of cliché happy-ending Hollywood films will be shocked. Because it is different and unique...Luhrmann has succeeded in modernly adapting a classic novel whilst retaining its original subtlety and sophistication. The film appeals to a number of different audiences due to the actors, designers, director, etc and people who would not have looked twice at the book before watching this would now be influenced to read it. Whenever I need to escape, "The Great Gatsby" enraptures me in a more enticing and sumptuously different world. Like a glittering chandelier, the story never fades. There really is only one word to sum up "The Great Gatsby": sensational.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending