Choosing universities, What to think about.

Watch
staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm one for making lists and pros and cons etc.
I did this when picking my preferred choices for university..
Just (maybe) trying to be helpful with what to take into account when choosing.

Name:  uni.png
Views: 153
Size:  23.2 KB

I first looked up what universities in the UK were well-respected, but more in my intelligence range than Oxford and Cambridge (I'm sure some other people have this same problem so could find this idea helpful), I admit I may be punching above my weight a little too much with Durham, but that is my 1st choice. Also, Leeds and Sheffield aren't very well respected, but I added them anyway because they are close by, and are my back up options.

I put them in order of preference (first choice Durham).
Then I used Google to find out how far each university is from my home, the over 4 hour distance between me and Exeter put me off a little.
I then went online to:

www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c o.uk/league-tables/rankings

and found out how respected in general each of my chosen universities were, with Durham being the 5th best in the country I was quickly drawn to it..

You should also think about what course you want to study, and find out where the school are ranked in that subject, I am currently undecided, but I looked at English, Maths and Economics (they are all in the table). With Durham being the 1st ranked in the country for English, and UCL being the 3rd, UCL became my 2nd choice. I also found out that Warwick is 4th for Maths (best out of my choices) and Warwick is 1st for Economics.

I then tried to focus on the less academic side by looking at last year's Times student survey to find out how they liked the university, nightlife, facilities etc. (These surveys use ratings),Then I worked out the averages (out of what information I'd used) to find out which university had the best feedback, and that was Sheffield. I don't know if maybe it is more enjoyable because there is less work to do (because it isn't as respected) or if it is because of the city life.

Then I got to the hard-hitting part that kind of makes me wonder if I will get into any university, ever..
I researched what the Typical entry requirements were for popular courses like English, Maths, Economics and Sciences, and found out that Durham is A*AA, down to AAB, with Leeds and Sheffield. AAB were also on the typical offers for Warwick and Exeter but I assume they would go for more able applicants so I don't want to speak falsely of them.

You should also take into account which of your chosen universities focus on more (i.e. GCSE's, personal statements, A-Levels, etc.) as I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that Durham do not take much notice of GCSE's, but then saw somebody with mostly all A's at A-Level, and a mix of A's and B's and maybe 1 or 2 C's at GCSE get rejected.

I don't know, maybe this was helpful .
391iady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by staticas)
I'm one for making lists and pros and cons etc.
I did this when picking my preferred choices for university..
Just (maybe) trying to be helpful with what to take into account when choosing.

Name:  uni.png
Views: 153
Size:  23.2 KB

I first looked up what universities in the UK were well-respected, but more in my intelligence range than Oxford and Cambridge (I'm sure some other people have this same problem so could find this idea helpful), I admit I may be punching above my weight a little too much with Durham, but that is my 1st choice. Also, Leeds and Sheffield aren't very well respected, but I added them anyway because they are close by, and are my back up options.

I put them in order of preference (first choice Durham).
Then I used Google to find out how far each university is from my home, the over 4 hour distance between me and Exeter put me off a little.
I then went online to:

www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c o.uk/league-tables/rankings

and found out how respected in general each of my chosen universities were, with Durham being the 5th best in the country I was quickly drawn to it..

You should also think about what course you want to study, and find out where the school are ranked in that subject, I am currently undecided, but I looked at English, Maths and Economics (they are all in the table). With Durham being the 1st ranked in the country for English, and UCL being the 3rd, UCL became my 2nd choice. I also found out that Warwick is 4th for Maths (best out of my choices) and Warwick is 1st for Economics.

I then tried to focus on the less academic side by looking at last year's Times student survey to find out how they liked the university, nightlife, facilities etc. (These surveys use ratings),Then I worked out the averages (out of what information I'd used) to find out which university had the best feedback, and that was Sheffield. I don't know if maybe it is more enjoyable because there is less work to do (because it isn't as respected) or if it is because of the city life.

Then I got to the hard-hitting part that kind of makes me wonder if I will get into any university, ever..
I researched what the Typical entry requirements were for popular courses like English, Maths, Economics and Sciences, and found out that Durham is A*AA, down to AAB, with Leeds and Sheffield. AAB were also on the typical offers for Warwick and Exeter but I assume they would go for more able applicants so I don't want to speak falsely of them.

You should also take into account which of your chosen universities focus on more (i.e. GCSE's, personal statements, A-Levels, etc.) as I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that Durham do not take much notice of GCSE's, but then saw somebody with mostly all A's at A-Level, and a mix of A's and B's and maybe 1 or 2 C's at GCSE get rejected.

I don't know, maybe this was helpful .
Cool.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.29%
No (84)
20.59%
Not sure (78)
19.12%

Watched Threads