HND Or Degree-Much difference?

Watch
xxartixx
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out if there is much difference between a HND and a Degree. I am looking to study Business through RDI but after looking at the different courses, I am a bit confused as to which would be better for me.

A bit of background about myself, I don't have A-Levels but I do have two Level 3 qualifications; one in psychology(Not nationally recognised though) and one in Massage Therapy(practical as well as theory). I have atleast 5 years work experience but in different roles and companies. One of the companies I worked at I dealt with a lot of the business side of things.

On speaking to someone at RDI she suggested I apply for the HND but said it was up to me whether I wanted to apply for the degree. I know with the HND it can take from 2-4 years (distance learning) and that I would be able to complete a year top up which makes it a degree? Where as the degree is 3-6 years to complete. Is there much difference? Would I be worse off doing a HND or better off doing a degree?

The degree is through Anglia Ruskin and the HND is edexcel, then the top up is, I think, through Anglia Ruskin or Sunderland.

Thanks
DanH7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I'm currently doing exactly the same thing with RDI,

I'm nearing the end of my 2 year HND course and will be going on to the Degree top up after the degree you get is a full degree and it can be obtained in 3 years. Once you're finished you can go off and use it to better your work prospects.

I have enjoyed it all so far and have found the course structure to be well put together with RDI, of course it's not always easy I've struggled sometimes to find the time to get all the Assignments in on time, but if you need more time you can withdraw your intent to submit and keep working.

I would definitely recommend RDI for the HND/Degree Top-up, all been good so far.

Dan (Member of the Student Advisory Council)
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xxartixx)
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out if there is much difference between a HND and a Degree. I am looking to study Business through RDI but after looking at the different courses, I am a bit confused as to which would be better for me.

A bit of background about myself, I don't have A-Levels but I do have two Level 3 qualifications; one in psychology(Not nationally recognised though) and one in Massage Therapy(practical as well as theory). I have atleast 5 years work experience but in different roles and companies. One of the companies I worked at I dealt with a lot of the business side of things.

On speaking to someone at RDI she suggested I apply for the HND but said it was up to me whether I wanted to apply for the degree. I know with the HND it can take from 2-4 years (distance learning) and that I would be able to complete a year top up which makes it a degree? Where as the degree is 3-6 years to complete. Is there much difference? Would I be worse off doing a HND or better off doing a degree?

The degree is through Anglia Ruskin and the HND is edexcel, then the top up is, I think, through Anglia Ruskin or Sunderland.

Thanks
HND is a Diploma, and is equivalent to two years of University.

A degree is much better as it actually enhances your prospects, unlike a HND. People that do HND's etc usually are those that don't have the grades to get on to a degree programme.

With that said, after the HND you can complete the top up degree, turning it in to a degree.

It is up to you which you decide to do, however the work you do on the HND will be the same work you do in the first two years of the degree.
janfelton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For now you can do your HND and if you don't afford so many years for getting a degree right now then do it afterwards.. You have the flexibility to learn at your own pace in RDI.. So, don't worry and go for it..
Abbas78600
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I know its been a long time since you have done your top-up degree but how was it compared to the HND and if you moved out did you find suitable accommodation. Reason I am asking is because I will be doing a top-up in a few weeks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.15%
England (109)
33.54%
Belgium (27)
8.31%
Germany (38)
11.69%
Spain (6)
1.85%