The Student Room Group

What's wrong with reading the daily mail?

It's just a paper, and if you read it, it doesn't mean you agree with all that they say. Some, like me, just read it for the sport, so don't tar us all with the same brush.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DailyMail reader
It's just a paper, and if you read it, it doesn't mean you agree with all that they say. Some, like me, just read it for the sport, so don't tar us all with the same brush.

nothing wrong, i read dm everyday
I read it :dontknow: I don't know what the big deal is.
What's right with reading the Daily Mail?
Reply 4
I read it mainly for the sports pages.

I can say that I read it now negs are gone:biggrin:

Don't know why there's the hatred to be honest - other newspapers publish controversial things.
I like the fact it has lots of pictures. When other websites have one tiny stock image, you can trust the DM to have at least 16 high definition images of the grisly crime scene displayed virtually full size.
Original post by Maid Marian
I read it :dontknow: I don't know what the big deal is.

This is the opinion of most of the British public. I fear for our society.
I think the Daily Mail website is very good, to be honest.
Its hardly a good source of factually information. Its mainly filled with propaganda to get little Englanders talking about how the nation is going to the dogs. I find it annoying they distort, select and even outright lie in their stories to an extent I generally don't get annoyed by even the most silly of stories, because I'm more annoyed with the journalism. No one looking for news reads it as a news paper.

Their sport's section is pretty poor tbh, especially for football it terrible just made up stories lacking any quotes or sources. The Guardian generally has pretty good detail, but BBC sport is usually good enough for coverage.

The only think worth reading on the DM site is the celeb gossip if you're in the mood for that kind of thing. Money section isn't actually all that bad either.
Reply 9
One look at the comment section on their website for any controversial article tells you all you need to know. It seems like the majority of the readers (though not all) are incapable of any kind of critical thinking or detecting when there may be more to an article than meets the eye. There is deliberate and blatant bias in so many of their articles and it just goes over the heads of the readers. That's what worries me.

I'm speaking exclusively about political/social articles. Nothing wrong with their sport/entertainment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
The quality of the writing is poor.
It talks down to it's readership.
It assumes you know nothing.
It never backs up it's statements with relevant sources or quotes.
It publishes controversial stories in full knowledge that they're incorrect.
It refuses to ever acknowledge mistakes.
It's columnists are rude, belittling and hateful.

...just off the top of my head.
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
The quality of the writing is poor.
It talks down to it's readership.
It assumes you know nothing.
It never backs up it's statements with relevant sources or quotes.
It publishes controversial stories in full knowledge that they're incorrect.
It refuses to ever acknowledge mistakes.
It's columnists are rude, belittling and hateful.

...just off the top of my head.

This is just your opinion , these aren't facts.

Just asking, have you ever read the Daily Mail or are these opinions you've got off the " we hate the daily mail" threads?
I read their website. I don't really see the problem, all newspapers put their own spin on a story and make it sound how they want it to sound.
Reply 13
Original post by mccrae01
This is just your opinion , these aren't facts.

Just asking, have you ever read the Daily Mail or are these opinions you've got off the " we hate the daily mail" threads?

Some are opinions, some are facts. Of the 7 things I listed, points 4, 5 and 6 are facts and while 1 is an opinion, it as opinion very few would argue against - including the DM, who deliberately want to make the paper readable to many which means lowering the reading age of the paper.

Used to be the family paper so would get it and read it everyday. That stopped about 10yrs ago, thankfully.
I read it, although only for the comedic value in the comment section.
Reply 15
I saw this on the Daily Mail website recently after being linked on facebook. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2283777/Boy-9-hanged-bullied-white.html The article attempts to stir up prejudice for no apparent reason and if you examine the comments, the worst-rated ones are some of the few that haven't mindlessly fallen for the **** that the article peddles.
Reply 16
I read it everyday, alongside other publications. I only take issue with those who gain all of their opinions and information from it. A stupid public leads to a corrupt political system. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Drewski
Some are opinions, some are facts. Of the 7 things I listed, points 4, 5 and 6 are facts and while 1 is an opinion, it as opinion very few would argue against - including the DM, who deliberately want to make the paper readable to many which means lowering the reading age of the paper.

Used to be the family paper so would get it and read it everyday. That stopped about 10yrs ago, thankfully.

Oh right , Thanks.
I agree with 4, 5 and 6 but personally I don't think the writing quality is as bad as some of the other tabloids ( Daily Express for example). Yes , the columnists can be hateful and go too far ( particularly in articles concerning the BBC) but I generally just avoid the regular columnists sections and read the rest of it.
really bad journalism.
It's full of far-right bile and reads like it's printed by the BNP.

Quick Reply

Latest