Most Favorable types of Energy for the UK Watch

Poll: What is the most favorable types of Energy for the UK?
Oil (2)
1.35%
Coal (7)
4.73%
Gas (9)
6.08%
Nuclear (35)
23.65%
Geo-thermal (14)
9.46%
Hydroelectric (14)
9.46%
Tidal (17)
11.49%
Solar (12)
8.11%
Biomass (8)
5.41%
Wave (14)
9.46%
Wind (16)
10.81%
Henry_Tudor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello all,

With the recent Chinese investment in the UK's nuclear energy I would like to know what type of Energy you believe is the best for the UK.
Sammydemon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chernobyl.
Wait, I mean nuclear.
lt35
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bristol tidal barrage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
(Original post by lt35)
Bristol tidal barrage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here here! The Severn Barrage would meet 5% of the UK's energy mix!
lt35
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Henry_Tudor)
Here here! The Severn Barrage would meet 5% of the UK's energy mix!
Well it's a start init?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
(Original post by lt35)
Well it's a start init?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It sure is and it's reliable unlike other renewable sources (wind/solar) also it will create a new road from Bristol to Cardiff thus increased infustructe which encourages trade and investment!
lt35
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It sure is and it's reliable unlike other renewable sources (wind/solar) also it will create a new road from Bristol to Cardiff thus increased infustructe which encourages trade and investment!
True say.. There's no words for it imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
lt35
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am worried that the location of the new nuclear plant may preclude it as there will be too much electricity being produced in one place...

Posted from TSR Mobile
lt35
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Something needs to be done fast so that they put enough grid infrastructure in. At the same time! Any CivEng students out there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
(Original post by lt35)
Something needs to be done fast so that they put enough grid infrastructure in. At the same time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If we don't hurry up we are going to have an energy deficit in the near future!
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a fan of wind farms, in the right areas. I disagree that they blot the landscape, however I will agree that they should be placed in already industrial areas where they are more likely to 'fit in.'
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello all,

With the recent Chinese investment in the UK's nuclear energy I would like to know what type of Energy you believe is the best for the UK.

A mix of energy sources is best. It would be fool hardy to rely on one type... Although the French seem to have done particularly well focusing on nuclear only.
Alfissti
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not a fan of a single energy source, prefer a balanced mix from several sources.

I voted for hydro, nuclear, gas, coal and biomass.

Nuclear energy IS necessary especially as UK electrifies more rail lines, more cars run on electric rather than fossil fuels and in future hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will need huge amounts of energy and this is probably going to be the only way to ensure energy security. I'm not too fussed about the dangers of a nuclear reactor as UK has ample health, safety and environmental laws as well as the technology has improved in leaps and bounds that a risk of meltdown is lower than you cracking your skull from taking a shower.

UK has plenty of gas and more can be had from fracking, there is also biogas which can be reclaimed from various sources.

UK has one of the largest deposits and coal reserves in the world, I won't suggest this be the only source of energy for the sole reason that I don't want to see a repeat of the 70s and also the miners strike of 84 which almost crippled the country. Never again should a country be held hostage by a bunch of low class people. Also it can only be used in conjunction with the necessary carbon capture technologies which though at present time remains expensive will get cheaper in future.

Hydropower should definitely be exploited as this is in general the only real source of clean renewable energy and it is relatively speaking almost emissions free.

Biomass has it's place, also nothing is more renewable than this, you can plant a forest but you can't replace rare-earths, metals and the vast majority of sands required for the manufacture of wind turbines and solar panels, whilst a biomass plant you could burn just about everything in it that grows.

I also would like to see more waste-to-energy systems in place, currently many parts of UK pays countries such as Norway, Netherlands and Sweden for garbage disposal, these garbage is then used to power up the district heating systems, recently in one of my classes we had someone who came to speak to us about their waste-to-energy incinerator that provides heat for all schools, public buildings and some homes in Oslo. It is essentially a free source of energy because several places in UK notably Leeds has paid the plant lots of money to take this garbage and not just is it enough to pay for transport it is also enough to maintain the facilities as well as infrastructure. It used to be the heating facility would require 8 tonnes of fuel per day for it's heating operations, now it uses 5 tonnes of fuel per year and on average it can process 150 tonnes of garbage per day, food-waste is sorted though and sent for gas-reclamation which is then used as fuel for buses in Oslo. Surprisingly it is actually a very clean operation and it is proven to be a carbon neutral operation, very profitable too as for every 1000tonnes you get around 2 tonnes of steel, 11 tonnes of aluminium and around 1 tonne of ash....... guess what happens to these?? Yup you got that right, it is sold back to UK for a good profit.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's predictable. But doesn't generate when youau need it.

There's also significant economical and environmental impacts associated with the Severn barrage.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Barrage
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If we don't hurry up we are going to have an energy deficit in the near future!
Speaking to a friend who works in the energy sector and he's saying that the energy deficit is being overplayed a bit. Also remember that the coal fired power stations due to shut down are being mothballed for a period of time first and not dismantled. There's still the options of energy imports, although the failed German 100% renewables target is eating up excess capacity from France at an alarming rate.
pgtipstea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why only the uk? 4000 zettajoules of energy can be harnessed from geothermal energy alone. The world uses about half a zettajoule a year.
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
(Original post by pgtipstea)
Why only the uk? 4000 zettajoules of energy can be harnessed from geothermal energy alone. The world uses about half a zettajoule a year.
Nice little stat their!
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Speaking to a friend who works in the energy sector and he's saying that the energy deficit is being overplayed a bit. Also remember that the coal fired power stations due to shut down are being mothballed for a period of time first and not dismantled. There's still the options of energy imports, although the failed German 100% renewables target is eating up excess capacity from France at an alarming rate.
Interesting-I didn't know this!
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Immediate investment in new nuclear, and a real commitment to thorium flouride salt reactor research. Conventional nuclear will bridge the gap until the cleaner cheaper, safer LFTR reactors are ready. Then keep funding ITER and beyond whether we remain in the EU or not, so we can be among the first to get domestic fusion plants on a commercial scale.
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sammydemon)
Chernobyl.
Wait, I mean nuclear.
Chernobyl was a poorly designed, poorly maintained facility manned by poorly trained and poorly paid workers. The UK has the most effective safety regulations in the world, and properly designed, built and maintained facilities are perfectly safe, though we should push towards LFTR reactors, as they are even safer (they basically can't meltdown, as a reactor leak would immediately solidify the salt and stop the reaction) and produce way less radioactive waste, which has a shorter decay time than the waste from uranium fission. As a final incentive, there's a much lower security risk, as thorium can't be used for nuclear weapons (which is why it has been ignored in favor of uranium plants by world governments)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (4)
4%
No (96)
96%

Watched Threads