starred firsts in Cambridge

Watch this thread
bouboukimou
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I was wondering if anyone knew how many starred firsts there have been in Law over the last few years? Are starred firsts more likely to be offered in other subjects such as history or sps?

where can i get such stats?
not that i could ever aspire to such greatness!

thanks
amateurish
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 15 years ago
not sure about exact numbers but friends who do law tell me that there are relatively few firsts awarded in law part II compared to other arts subjects, so there's probably likely to be less starred firsts as well.
proudclod
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Firsts of any kind in law are incredibly scarce, or so I've been lead to believe. They're fairly uncommon in SPS too - out of ~120 Part I students whose results were released today, there was only one starred first.

The history department are apparently more willing to give 1*s as a way of distinguishing the best Class I students - this is what I was told by a guy who got one in his second year, I don't have any stats to back it up.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bouboukimou)
I was wondering if anyone knew how many starred firsts there have been in Law over the last few years? Are starred firsts more likely to be offered in other subjects such as history or sps?

where can i get such stats?
not that i could ever aspire to such greatness!

thanks
Who cares, you're not going to get one?!
Ticki
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
In History, any student achieving a first in every paper is awarded a starred first. This may also be the case in Law, although I'm not certain.
KaiserSoze
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ticki)
In History, any student achieving a first in every paper is awarded a starred first. This may also be the case in Law, although I'm not certain.
It isn't also the case in law, more's the pity... :rolleyes:
Intelligentsia
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
*bump*
bob_54321
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Intelligentsia)
*bump*
any particular reason for this???? :confused:
proudclod
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Seconded: the information in my post and Ticki's post covers just about everything.
Intelligentsia
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Well I apologize. It's just nice to fantasize....
bob_54321
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
just seemed a rather odd thread to bump without any explanation, normally someone will bump something and then give a reason . . . i noticed you did it for another thread as well, lol.
Intelligentsia
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Ah hmm yes, I remember now. I wanted to ask about starred firsts in natsci/maths/eng/compsci basically science/math oriented courses. Do they even have them?
sebbie
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
when do they give double starred firsts? is this like a once every 10 years thing? and do the sciences give starred firsts?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sebbie)
when do they give double starred firsts? is this like a once every 10 years thing? and do the sciences give starred firsts?
Double starred first simply means you got a starred first in both parts of the tripos. I honestly don't know if they award them for the sciences.
Alaric
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Intelligentsia)
compsci basically science
don't think they exist in compsci, you can win prizes if you do well in exams, but I don't think starred degrees exist.

A.
Mithent
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I don't even know it would be possible for me (NatSci) to get one. I'm not sure if they award them at all.
hungry_hog
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
This dude got a triple!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Ascherson

I guess in theory a quadruple is possible - Part IA, IB, II and III. but subjects with four year courses (e.g NatSci, Eng) tend not to award starred firsts
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I think starred Firsts are only given out in some of the more arty Triposes. I've never heard of one in NatSci or Medicine, despite knowing some brilliant people who I reckon would have got it if it existed.
Mib
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hungry_hog)
This dude got a triple!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Ascherson

I guess in theory a quadruple is possible - Part IA, IB, II and III. but subjects with four year courses (e.g NatSci, Eng) tend not to award starred firsts
Given that Mr Ascherson studied History, and given that History has only a Part I and Part II, how could he have got a triple starred first?
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Well... history students don't take a part 1a and 1b, they take a prelim. He could have done so well in his prelims that he -would- have got a starred first had they been real exams, and so this has been interpretted as him having got a starred first in his prelims.

Just a suggestion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (34)
68%
No (12)
24%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
8%

Watched Threads