The Student Room Group

starred firsts in Cambridge

I was wondering if anyone knew how many starred firsts there have been in Law over the last few years? Are starred firsts more likely to be offered in other subjects such as history or sps?

where can i get such stats?
not that i could ever aspire to such greatness!

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
not sure about exact numbers but friends who do law tell me that there are relatively few firsts awarded in law part II compared to other arts subjects, so there's probably likely to be less starred firsts as well.
Reply 2
Firsts of any kind in law are incredibly scarce, or so I've been lead to believe. They're fairly uncommon in SPS too - out of ~120 Part I students whose results were released today, there was only one starred first.

The history department are apparently more willing to give 1*s as a way of distinguishing the best Class I students - this is what I was told by a guy who got one in his second year, I don't have any stats to back it up.
Reply 3
bouboukimou
I was wondering if anyone knew how many starred firsts there have been in Law over the last few years? Are starred firsts more likely to be offered in other subjects such as history or sps?

where can i get such stats?
not that i could ever aspire to such greatness!

thanks

Who cares, you're not going to get one?!
Reply 4
In History, any student achieving a first in every paper is awarded a starred first. This may also be the case in Law, although I'm not certain.
Reply 5
Ticki
In History, any student achieving a first in every paper is awarded a starred first. This may also be the case in Law, although I'm not certain.

It isn't also the case in law, more's the pity... :rolleyes:
*bump*
Reply 7
Intelligentsia
*bump*

any particular reason for this???? :confused:
Reply 8
Seconded: the information in my post and Ticki's post covers just about everything.
Well I apologize. It's just nice to fantasize....
Reply 10
just seemed a rather odd thread to bump without any explanation, normally someone will bump something and then give a reason . . . i noticed you did it for another thread as well, lol.
Ah hmm yes, I remember now. I wanted to ask about starred firsts in natsci/maths/eng/compsci basically science/math oriented courses. Do they even have them?
Reply 12
when do they give double starred firsts? is this like a once every 10 years thing? and do the sciences give starred firsts?
Reply 13
sebbie
when do they give double starred firsts? is this like a once every 10 years thing? and do the sciences give starred firsts?

Double starred first simply means you got a starred first in both parts of the tripos. I honestly don't know if they award them for the sciences.
Reply 14
Intelligentsia
compsci basically science

don't think they exist in compsci, you can win prizes if you do well in exams, but I don't think starred degrees exist.

A.
Reply 15
I don't even know it would be possible for me (NatSci) to get one. I'm not sure if they award them at all.
This dude got a triple!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Ascherson

I guess in theory a quadruple is possible - Part IA, IB, II and III. but subjects with four year courses (e.g NatSci, Eng) tend not to award starred firsts
Reply 17
I think starred Firsts are only given out in some of the more arty Triposes. I've never heard of one in NatSci or Medicine, despite knowing some brilliant people who I reckon would have got it if it existed.
Reply 18
hungry_hog
This dude got a triple!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Ascherson

I guess in theory a quadruple is possible - Part IA, IB, II and III. but subjects with four year courses (e.g NatSci, Eng) tend not to award starred firsts

Given that Mr Ascherson studied History, and given that History has only a Part I and Part II, how could he have got a triple starred first?
Reply 19
Well... history students don't take a part 1a and 1b, they take a prelim. He could have done so well in his prelims that he -would- have got a starred first had they been real exams, and so this has been interpretted as him having got a starred first in his prelims.

Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending