The Student Room Group

starred firsts in Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Shellbeach
Ahaha, well you would think so, but I don't think that's the case; more people than you would think achieve a first, of any kind, in the MML Tripos in Cambridge in the Part II (final year). It's usually around 40%-50%. The reason? A lot of 'up marking' and higher grades awarded in the literature/film papers.

My source of information? A linguistics professor I know, who spills all on Facebook after the faculty meetings....:cool:

Is that 40-50% get firsts?! From the 2016-7 class list, still only a handful of the firsts in MML part II were starred firsts. But 40-50% getting "normal" firsts is a lot!! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Claree
Is that 40-50% get firsts?! From the 2016-7 class list, still only a handful of the firsts in MML part II were starred firsts. But 40-50% getting "normal" firsts is a lot!! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

41% of MML Part II got a 1st in 2016.
Original post by Doonesbury
MML has gone from 20% in 2000 to 41% in 2016 :smile:
http://bernardrivers.com/exam-analysis/

I know, and it's because of 'up marking' in certain sub-disciplines (literature, film papers.....it's fairly common to be awarded marks of 75+). MML and Linguistics are the same faculty in Cambridge. The prof I know has tried to argue in faculty meetings that Linguistics and MML should be split into two separate faculties because of this. But, alas, it has yet to happen (as far as I know).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending