Turn on thread page Beta

Can you mark my GCSE English Language answer please? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is a Q6 answer worth 24 marks, it would be great if you gave me an honest answer! Thankyou! (AQA)

16 marks are for communication and organisation of ideas.
    8 marks are for structure, spelling, punctuation, grammar and vocabulary.

Q6: it has been said that : "people who save lives or help improve the lives of others are the true role models of today."

write an article for a newspaper in which you argue your view about what makes a good role model.

A:

Heroic. Admirable. Assiduous. Three words which I'd like to use to describe people who save and help the lives of others.

It's hard work helping people, but could you imagine how satisfied you'd feel if your heroic actions were the reason somebody else was still alive? You'd feel on top of the world!

People always get a chance in the spotlight, to be a hero, but there are some people who choose to do the job and stay out of the spotlight. People like my super smart surgeon Dr. Roberts; who is the reason why my heart still beats. You see, I myself took a heart attack last year. One of my coronary arteries were blocked. Don't ask why. Don't ask how. I've always had a healthy diet, and did a bit of jogging every week. Dr. Roberts had to quickly clear the blockage using an endoscope- key-hole surgery. Lucky for me I live 10 miles from the city Hospital and the ambulance came minutes after my major heart attack. Dr. Roberts operated on me immediately, and within an hour, I was as fit as a fiddle.

Dr. Roberts is my hero. My role model. He is a true role model in this society, where money-obsessed Hollywood 'stars' are labelled as 'role models' and 'people we should look up to.' Why is this? These attention-seeking scumbags are robbing the real heroes! When was the last time you read an article about a brave fireman who risked his life to save a vulnerable child from a house fire? Maybe a year ago, maybe never. When was the last time you heard a story about a celebrity giving a small fraction of their earnings to a charity that they obviously never heard nor care about? Likely in the last week or sooner!

what makes a good role model? Somebody who does a selfless act of goodwill or risks their lives to help another. That's a real role model! Helping people in the smallest ways like carrying their bags or giving them a helping hand with something that you don't benefit from is what I call being a good role model. Who would you choose as your role model, your idol? Miley Cyrus, or a friendly fireman? One is a helping, caring person who helps people everyday they live; the other is Miley Cyrus!

Have I made my views clearer? Have you changed your views on attention-grabbing celebrities? I hope so! I could talk all day about the ideal role model, but for now... I digress...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thank you so much for reading! Please give your honest opinions on this and the mark you'd think I'd get in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    What board are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsmiles123)
    This is a Q6 answer worth 24 marks, it would be great if you gave me an honest answer! Thankyou!

Q6: it has been said that : "people who save lives or help improve the lives of others are the true role models of today."

write an article for a newspaper in which you argue your view about what makes a good role model.

A:

Heroic. Admirable. Assiduous. Three words which I'd like to use to describe people who save and help the lives of others.

It's hard work helping people, but could you imagine how satisfied you'd feel if your heroic actions were the reason somebody else was still alive? You'd feel on top of the world!

People always get a chance in the spotlight, to be a hero, but there are some people who choose to do the job and stay out of the spotlight. People like my super smart surgeon Dr. Roberts; who is the reason why my heart still beats. You see, I myself took a heart attack last year. One of my coronary arteries were blocked. Don't ask why. Don't ask how. I've always had a healthy diet, and did a bit of jogging every week. Dr. Roberts had to quickly clear the blockage using an endoscope- key-hole surgery. Lucky for me I live 10 miles from the city Hospital and the ambulance came minutes after my major heart attack. Dr. Roberts operated on me immediately, and within an hour, I was as fit as a fiddle.

Dr. Roberts is my hero. My role model. He is a true role model in this society, where money-obsessed Hollywood 'stars' are labelled as 'role models' and 'people we should look up to.' Why is this? These attention-seeking scumbags are robbing the real heroes! When was the last time you read an article about a brave fireman who risked his life to save a vulnerable child from a house fire? Maybe a year ago, maybe never. When was the last time you heard a story about a celebrity giving a small fraction of their earnings to a charity that they obviously never heard nor care about? Likely in the last week or sooner!

what makes a good role model? Somebody who does a selfless act of goodwill or risks their lives to help another. That's a real role model! Helping people in the smallest ways like carrying their bags or giving them a helping hand with something that you don't benefit from is what I call being a good role model. Who would you choose as your role model, your idol? Miley Cyrus, or a friendly fireman? One is a helping, caring person who helps people everyday they live; the other is Miley Cyrus!

Have I made my views clearer? Have you changed your views on attention-grabbing celebrities? I hope so! I could talk all day about the ideal role model, but for now... I digress...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thank you so much for reading! Please give your honest opinions on this and the mark you'd think I'd get in the exam!
    This is really good!! I'm no marker, but I'm pretty sure this is in the top band. I'm not gonna specify which mark, because, quite frankly, I have no idea. A good range of sentence length and writing techniques (e.g. rhetorical question). Both compelling and convincing from the start and consistent the whole way through. I think there might have been a bit of comma splicing, but I'm not sure (putting a comma before "and"). Maybe some more complex vocabulary... I dunno.
    I'm guessing you're taking your exam on Tuesday... So am I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    What board are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AQA , sorry for leaving that out!

ReputationRep:
    i'm no examiner but, just as a random passer-by, i couldn't help but notice how many exclamation marks you used!
    i think if you use that many then they start to lose their impact compared to if you just use it once or twice.

good luck ~

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA too, so I showed this to my English teacher (who's on the exam board for our school) and he says it's an A/B piece of work. Great job! I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA too, so I showed this to my English Teacher (whose on the exam board for our school) and he says it's a B/A grade piece of work. Hope this helps! ^ ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsmiles123)
    This is a Q6 answer worth 24 marks, it would be great if you gave me an honest answer! Thankyou! (AQA)

A:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is good, but could do with a lot of improving.

I think your use of techniques are clear and your variety of sentence lengths are effective. You do also try to use a range of punctuation with some success. While you do talk about some points in your argument, you don't acknowledge the counter argument nor do you engage with a range of material.

With your techniques, your use of the rhetorical question is absurdly excessive. It just detracts from the impact. Instead, just try to use other techniques, like lists, statistics, imperatives, satire and even contrast.

You do have some good structural techniques, with the three words at the beginning - a bit how I used to do my pieces sometimes.

I'd say you could adhere towards the fact that this is a newspaper article more with an improved tone and a title - that would gain you a few more marks, in my opinion.

My marking tends to be reliable, and I would give this a 9/16 for content and 5/8 for your skills. Hope it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    this is quite a good piece and I like how you included an anecdote to support your argument.I am not an examiner but there is room for improvement. firstly you should structure your arguments a lot more formally in order to obtain more marks.use more punctuation and also explore more opening words for specific sentences to make it less tedious. a good effort though. 9/16 for content and 6/8 for skill

ReputationRep:
    I would give this 8/16 and a 6/8 for a combined 14/30. I think the structure of the text is very good, especially in the introduction as it is eye catching and attention grabbing - perfect for a newspaper article which fits the form perfectly. I think a much more formal tone is needed as well as more language devices as well as the rhetorical questjons. Hope that helps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would say a mark of around 15-16. Its a little short for a question six, and vocabulary is limited and rather basic.Good deployment of 'AFOREST' techniques, however content could have been explored more thoroughly, perhaps with an anecdote. Good try though at this stage! Still got a long time to practice until GCSEs, so you're more than on track

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.