The Student Room Group

BPTC Applicants 2014/2015

Hello everyone!

I thought I would create a thread for all BPTC applicants for September 2014 entry to get together and support each other as the application system opens today!

I am an LL.B finalist and Nottingham Law School is my first choice for the course. Where is everyone else applying to? What stage are you at?

Good luck and all the best!

B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
also applying - i'm a recent graduate (on a gap year at the mo) and i'm undecided as to my first choice at the moment, but it would definitely be a london provider (either city or UoL - the latter's electives suit my interests more).

a friendly suggestion - this thread would likely get more attention in the legal careers section as that's where previous threads have been iirc; it might be worth asking a mod to move it :smile: (i only saw it as i'm also applying for LLMs so check the postgrad forum)
Reply 2
Original post by arguendo
also applying - i'm a recent graduate (on a gap year at the mo) and i'm undecided as to my first choice at the moment, but it would definitely be a london provider (either city or UoL - the latter's electives suit my interests more).

a friendly suggestion - this thread would likely get more attention in the legal careers section as that's where previous threads have been iirc; it might be worth asking a mod to move it :smile: (i only saw it as i'm also applying for LLMs so check the postgrad forum)

Thanks! Wasn't sure where to put it. I'll get it moved!!

Good luck :smile: Did you apply for scholarships?
Reply 3
Original post by *BB*
Thanks! Wasn't sure where to put it. I'll get it moved!!

Good luck :smile: Did you apply for scholarships?

yes, i did - a slightly traumatic experience...! much refreshing and re-checking of the application form was had. i wasn't sure if i felt better or wose when i finally clicked submit! how about you?
Reply 4
Original post by arguendo
yes, i did - a slightly traumatic experience...! much refreshing and re-checking of the application form was had. i wasn't sure if i felt better or wose when i finally clicked submit! how about you?

I know what you mean! I checked over it again and again but I always feel like that! If you checked and checked I'm sure you'll be fine. Which Inn did you apply to? :smile:
Reply 5
hi!

does anyone know when the Bar Aptitude Test comes in? I've done some searching, but I can't tell if we're expected to have completed it BEFORE we submit an application, or during, or after we get acceptance. It's all very confusing.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Reply 6
Original post by sher91
hi!

does anyone know when the Bar Aptitude Test comes in? I've done some searching, but I can't tell if we're expected to have completed it BEFORE we submit an application, or during, or after we get acceptance. It's all very confusing.

Hi Sher.

I submitted my application and then booked a BCAT. That's fine - there's a 'Pending' box for BCAT on the form.

Presumably you could also take the BCAT and then fill out the form, but it wouldn't give you any sort of advantage. The providers you put down get notified when you've passed the BCAT automatically (not when you book it, how many attempts you take or if you fail, though!).

Hope that helps.

EL
Reply 7
Original post by sher91
hi!

bsb bcat faqs state it must be passed before 22 august 2014 to start the bptc in september 2014.

https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/media/1543043/bcat_faq_2013.pdf
Reply 8
thank youuu! this is a huge load off my mind. I've been freaking out wondering if i had the time to schedule the test before I submit the application. Good luck, you guys!
Reply 9
Hi There, Just came across your comments. I'm currently in Yr 2 of BPTC at UWE. Just a tip, if you are planning on joining the course do remember that for most of the Inns you can start doing your Qualifying Sessions before commencing the BPTC. This is very useful, as the BPTC is extremely intensive, and time is something you don't have on the course. So try and get as many QS's done beforehand. Good Luck!!!
Reply 10
Question: how can one find out what their BPTC application reference number is?
Hi all :smile:
I'm planning to study the BPTC at City Law School (2014/15). Just finished my LLB. And I've joined Middle Temple Inn.
Q: what days & times do the qualifying sessions normally occur?
Hi, I am at the same inn and will study BPTC at City too! Can't wait to meet you! I am freaking out about qualifying sessions. What should I wear and when to go and who to talk to. Anyone can give any insight?
Hi there. I have just completed the BPTC at City and I am a member of Inner Temple. In response to your question regarding what to wear for dining sessions, it is entirely dependent upon the type of session you attend.

I managed to gain many of my qualifying sessions through advocacy workshops and the like. We were often advised to dress smart/casual. For the more traditional sessions, i.e. dinners, we were required to wear dark suits.

I would not panic too much about this as you are often advised as to dress code beforehand. I am not too sure how the other Inns operate in terms of the frequency of sessions, but do get them out of the way sooner rather than later so that you are able to focus on exam preparation towards the end if the academic year.

You will all be fine. Lots of planning and communication with members of your Inn and you have nothing to worry about. All the best x
Original post by SevenAteNine
Wear a suit/business attire - as a girl, I would normally wear a black dress, black suit, or a black skirt and white shirt. Always with a jacket - although you wear robes over the top. Men mostly wear suits.

You can choose when to go - you pick your evenings and the tickets will say the time to arrive by.

Who to talk to - on a Student night: classmates, friends from the Bar Course if they book at the same time as you. If not, talk to someone near you - everyone's in the same boat, so happy to share experiences!

Who to talk to - on a mixed night: everybody! barristers will attend, so get some insight from them etc.

Who to talk to - on a debate night: everybody!

Who to talk to - on a family night: hopefully your family ;-)

Any more questions, let me know.

ETA: Also - religious dress can be worn too.

Wow thank you very much for your help! I was more worried about going to the QS prior to starting the BPTC as I obviously haven't met any of my course mates. So do I just go there on my own? Is that sensible?
Original post by kriekstina
Wow thank you very much for your help! I was more worried about going to the QS prior to starting the BPTC as I obviously haven't met any of my course mates. So do I just go there on my own? Is that sensible?

I've done that for one dinner night - everyone's friendly enough, but it can be a little isolating if others are all there in groups. But you can bring your own guests to some QS, even pre-BPTC, so that could be an option? Equally, if all you're bothered about is getting a tick in the box on your way to 12, then being by yourself for a couple of hours isn't exactly a hardship.
Reply 16
Hi there, I'll be starting BPTC in Bristol this year. Like you all, I'm also very nervous about qualifying sessions as I'll all alone at the moment. I truly hope that we'll be able to hurdle these hardships. All the best to our future! :wink: Gosh, now I really hope there's someone in my course that's going to the same inn as me. Lincoln's Inn, anyone?
Thanks all. Kriekstina see you there hopefully! Really excited now.
Reply 18
Hello! I will be starting the BPTC at NLS in September, just wanted to see if anyone else on this thread was!? Cheers!
Hey,

I'll be Part-Time at Northumbria and am a Middle Templer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending