The Student Room Group

The Selfish Gene - question

In the selfish gene, Dawkins proposes a system of extending human life-span by pushing forward by setting a minimum age for reproduction and progressively making it higher.

I do not study biology, or have i studied it in 6th form, so i only have basic knowledge. But I have 2 questions about this.

1. If this was the case, for example starting the minimum at 30.. wouldn't we see a higher rate of children with birth defects to begin with?

2. The supposed reason this would work is because we are tricking our genes into thinking we are younger than we are when we give birth, which subsequently means our 'lethal old age' genes don't kill us until we die.

How do our genes 'know' once we've reproduced, as a man? Surely they couldn't think every ejaculation produces offspring.

I am not questioning Dawkins' expertise, I just don't understand.. so any clarification would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
good question, why don't you ask Dawkins himself
he actively responds to people on twitter and probably reads a lot of the stuff people send him...

But to answer your question I think this would take place on the mother's side, as it is the female mitochondria that gets passed down isn't it ?
Reply 2
1. yes, it probably would

2. no the reason it would (possibly) work would be because the people most fertile at later ages, and so who are likely biologically "younger", would average the most offspring, and so genes that keep them younger longer would increase in frequency throughout the population.
Reply 3
Original post by lucaf
1. yes, it probably would

2. no the reason it would (possibly) work would be because the people most fertile at later ages, and so who are likely biologically "younger", would average the most offspring, and so genes that keep them younger longer would increase in frequency throughout the population.

so essentially it is purely theoretical? as in, because of the birth defect problem it would never be beneficial enough to be a real practical idea..

2. I understand that those genes keep them 'younger' in terms of fertility, but is there a proven correlation between fertility and living longer?
Reply 4
Original post by peach42
so essentially it is purely theoretical? as in, because of the birth defect problem it would never be beneficial enough to be a real practical idea..

2. I understand that those genes keep them 'younger' in terms of fertility, but is there a proven correlation between fertility and living longer?

well the birth problems would only be an issue at first, after several generations they would become less common as those who are less likely to produce children with birth defects in later life will pass on their genes more. The initial increase in defects would obviously be a reason why people are unlikely to do it, but it is probably less of a factor than people not wanted to be told when they can breed.

I don't think there is no, but I guess the idea is that hypothetically an individual that stays youthful longer would also remain fertile longer, and such a system would select for such individuals. whether the hypothesis matches the reality I don't know. I guess this could easily be tested on rats :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by lucaf
well the birth problems would only be an issue at first, after several generations they would become less common as those who are less likely to produce children with birth defects in later life will pass on their genes more. The initial increase in defects would obviously be a reason why people are unlikely to do it, but it is probably less of a factor than people not wanted to be told when they can breed.

I don't think there is no, but I guess the idea is that hypothetically an individual that stays youthful longer would also remain fertile longer, and such a system would select for such individuals. whether the hypothesis matches the reality I don't know. I guess this could easily be tested on rats :tongue:

interesting! I imagined the population looking something like this '><' until those genes were the majority.. because as far as i know its something like after 40 its a 1/4 chance of birth defects of some sort...

so far i've found this idea in the book the most interesting part .. hopefully theres more like it later on
Reply 6
Original post by peach42
interesting! I imagined the population looking something like this '><' until those genes were the majority.. because as far as i know its something like after 40 its a 1/4 chance of birth defects of some sort...

so far i've found this idea in the book the most interesting part .. hopefully theres more like it later on

well I don't think it is as high as 1 in 4, but it certainly is higher. interestingly the average age of women baring children is rising, so we might actually see an effect like this happening naturally! I found it a very interesting book, as was the Blind Watchmaker. I still need to read the Extended Phenotype, and maybe the God Delusion while I am at it :smile:
Reply 7
Think of it this way. If there were some genes that predisposed you to dying young, but you already had children before they struck, the genes are passed on to the next generation.

If you are not allowed to reproduce until these genes had had their effect, these genes could not be passed on, hence the next generations would be less likely to die young.

Rinse and repeat!

This is actually a very mainstream theory of senescence - age-related mortality is due to the accumulation of genes that have negative effects late in life but positive effects early in life (the "shadow of selection").

You're in for a treat. The book is packed with brilliance!
Reply 8
Original post by lucaf
well I don't think it is as high as 1 in 4, but it certainly is higher. interestingly the average age of women baring children is rising, so we might actually see an effect like this happening naturally! I found it a very interesting book, as was the Blind Watchmaker. I still need to read the Extended Phenotype, and maybe the God Delusion while I am at it :smile:

i don't know why the idea interests me so much, but i'm a bit disappointed i won't be around to find out if it would work out haha!

the god delusion was the first dawkins book that I read, its very good! I'm pretty much working backwards.. i'll probably be on the Blind Watchmaker afterwards..

starting to make me wish i did biology at school
Reply 9
Original post by chazwomaq
Think of it this way. If there were some genes that predisposed you to dying young, but you already had children before they struck, the genes are passed on to the next generation.

If you are not allowed to reproduce until these genes had had their effect, these genes could not be passed on, hence the next generations would be less likely to die young.

Rinse and repeat!

This is actually a very mainstream theory of senescence - age-related mortality is due to the accumulation of genes that have negative effects late in life but positive effects early in life (the "shadow of selection").

You're in for a treat. The book is packed with brilliance!

i understand what you're saying about how it would mean that you avoid passing on genes that cause you to die young..

the part i don't understand is how in doing this.. it eventually INCREASES the expected lifespan of humans.. for example from 85 (or whatever it is) to 100 eventually..

because as far as i know.. even if you're fertile beyond 40 .. you are still possessing the 'old age lethal' genes, as mentioned a few pages earlier in that chapter..

so from my perspective those would still get passed on.. and essentially you would be increasing the age of fertility, rather than life span ..
Average lifespan = (average age of death)/n

Therefore if you increase average age of death you increase average lifespan by simple arithmetic.

With regard to pleiotropic genes, the idea is that some genes might be beneficial when you are young (helping you to heal, or have children), but detrimental when old. They thus act to constrain life expectancy at birth, but are still selected. Artificial selection by preventing breeding until a certain age would counteract the early beneficial effects because everyone who breeds must have survived to that age. Thus their selective advantage will not be retained and future generations will not have so many, and so will live longer.
Reply 11
Average lifespan = (average age of death)/n

Therefore if you increase average age of death you increase average lifespan by simple arithmetic.

With regard to pleiotropic genes, the idea is that some genes might be beneficial when you are young (helping you to heal, or have children), but detrimental when old. They thus act to constrain life expectancy at birth, but are still selected. Artificial selection by preventing breeding until a certain age would counteract the early beneficial effects because everyone who breeds must have survived to that age. Thus their selective advantage will not be retained and future generations will not have so many, and so will live longer.

okay so when we assume that the average age of death would eventually would approach a certain number that could be considered the 'maximum biological age' ( can't be quantified obviously, but the deviation between the ages would obviously become smaller) ...

so with how much certainty can we assume that from this process,, this age could be extended to say, 150 .. ( for example) ?
Original post by peach42
okay so when we assume that the average age of death would eventually would approach a certain number that could be considered the 'maximum biological age'

Yeah, exactly. I would probably conceptualise it as an asymptote.

so with how much certainty can we assume that from this process,, this age could be extended to say, 150 .. ( for example) ?

Who knows? After enough time, mutations could crop up that favour longer life - some animals are immortal so that is theoretically possible - and then we could preserve these mutations using artificial selection, thus increasing our asypmtote.
Reply 13
Yeah, exactly. I would probably conceptualise it as an asymptote.

Who knows? After enough time, mutations could crop up that favour longer life - some animals are immortal so that is theoretically possible - and then we could preserve these mutations using artificial selection, thus increasing our asypmtote.

perfect, that's what i imagined (the asymptote) ..

thanks for the answer
That is an interesting though: genes which compete with each other. Genes adapt themselves to get an advantage in terms of selection (mutations, genetic drift), so why genes shouldn't be in competition? perhaps humans came into being by competing genes, so apes evolved to humans step by step, because the human genes came out on top? but as far as I understand the meaning genes, which were defeated by the selfish genes, were not avalaible anymore, thus apes must not exist. But apes still exist...
Reply 15
Original post by Kallisto
That is an interesting though: genes which compete with each other. Genes adapt themselves to get an advantage in terms of selection (mutations, genetic drift), so why genes shouldn't be in competition? perhaps humans came into being by competing genes, so apes evolved to humans step by step, because the human genes came out on top? but as far as I understand the meaning genes, which were defeated by the selfish genes, were not avalaible anymore, thus apes must not exist. But apes still exist...

no no no, thats not what the theory means.. if you're saying that you think that human genes came out 'on top' because their genes outcompeted the 'selfish' ones that isn't it...

It is a continuous process and that all genes are 'selfish' .. so this includes the current ones we have today..

as for what you said about the apes..

the 'apes' that we evolved from no longer exist.. but further back there are ape species that the current apes and us share common ancestors in.

however we are not directly related to any current apes.. and thus it is still plausible that they exist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending