The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by WGR
I attended two of them and hated them both.

As a result if I ever do go back to university I am going to try an ex-poly instead.

Ever been to a non RG?

Sure its not just you...?

I found York pretty nice, especially compared to non-RG Bath which was pretty 'sharp'.
Reply 21
Original post by ActusReus
I definitely agree with you here. Why on earth would anyone choose an ex-poly over a russell group? unless they knew they wouldn't get in.

Ex polys are just crap I'm sorry. You can't honestly tell people go to Ruskin or Brookes because they're good universities? They just come to sponge off the Oxbridge tag. Funny how the union allows ruskin members to join, they can't string a coherent sentence together.

I was a bit ott with my rg comments my beef is with certain students at these universities who act like they are inferior in some way to Oxbridge when in reality in some departments they are just as good if not better. Durham however I stand by in calling overrated as a cheap Oxbridge knockoff which has yet to produce any credible alumni or research.

The other RGs are in the group based on research funding, mainly for Medicine with universities in big cities housing such research facilities etc. Nobody in the right mind would suggest that Southampton or Leeds were on the same academic standing as Oxford.
I definitely agree with you here. Why on earth would anyone choose an ex-poly over a russell group? unless they knew they wouldn't get in.

KCL used to be Strand Poly.
Eh, think it's just a personal bad experience... I've met a fair few people have gone to Oxbridge/Imperial amongst other Russell Group universities and I've found them to be nothing but pleasant. :P
Reply 24
Original post by Soft Cat
If you wish to be a loser then so be it.

And why does going to an ex-poly make one a loser?
Reply 25
What is wrong with russell group universities? people are generally friendly,..you can't expect everyone to be though! The staff are pretty damn good if you ask me...it seems like you're being fussy to me but if you're so bothered, then don't go to a russell group uni...
Reply 26

I'd be up for trying somewhere like Sheffield or something but unfortunately I can't afford to leave home so I have a choice of going back to the local RG that I hated or go to an ex-poly.
Reply 27
Original post by WGR
I'd be up for trying somewhere like Sheffield or something but unfortunately I can't afford to leave home so I have a choice of going back to the local RG that I hated or go to an ex-poly.

or not go back to uni...?

Setup that bank mebby?
To be honest I meant the ex polys you know like Plymouth, Brighton, manchester met, Anglia Ruskin, Oxford Brookes.

Anglia Ruskin I find particularly funny the whole going to a crap institution then having your graduation photo in St John's. Gosh what uncivilised inbreds.

how would you regard dentistry at plymouth?
Reply 29
Er, there's plenty of reasons to go to a university beyond its name or prestige. Cost, having a good department or program you like, location, etc are all factors.
I attended university of nottingham - Child nurse. the medical research they do is brilliant :smile: but hey! everyone has there own view :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by alexs2602

By ex-poly you know what I mean. Besides KCL is russell group now anyways.
Reply 32

KCL is England's third-oldest university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
By ex-poly you know what I mean. Besides KCL is russell group now anyways.

KCL is England's third-oldest university and its first secular one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by TonyPeterson
how would you regard dentistry at plymouth?

I forgot to add that this argument doesn't apply to Medicine, Dentistry or Vet Sci which is highly regarded wherever you attend.
Original post by CEKTOP
KCL is England's third-oldest university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_oldest_university_in_England_debate

But you may be right in that it wasn't Strand poly. Seems I may have misread something and that name is just part of its rivalry with UCL.
Reply 36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_oldest_university_in_England_debate

But you may be right in that it wasn't Strand poly. Seems I may have misread something and that name is just part of its rivalry with UCL.

Well UCL wasn't exactly UCL in 1827.
Reply 37
Original post by WGR
And why does going to an ex-poly make one a loser?

Erm why do you think? Because they're rubbish institutions with a severe lack of decent academic reputation which in turn attract students who aren't exactly going to amount to much post graduation.

Cliques, competition, cutthroat attitudes, that's all part and parcel not just of decent universities but also most top end professional fields. If you feel you can't cope with little bit of cliqueyness at this level then it's pretty much a strong indication that you won't succeed in a top profession or even enter one. Hence you choose to go to an ex polytechnic with lower academic/professional standards, be surrounded by dimwits who probably averaged 5 GCSEs and whose idea of top grades at A-level are BCC. So yes if you can't handle the pressure and want to go to a place with lower standards and prospects then yes take the step down and go to an ex-polytechnic and be a weak loser.
I forgot to add that this argument doesn't apply to Medicine, Dentistry or Vet Sci which is highly regarded wherever you attend.

thank you
Reply 39
Erm why do you think? Because they're rubbish institutions with a severe lack of decent academic reputation which in turn attract students who aren't exactly going to amount to much post graduation.

Cliques, competition, cutthroat attitudes, that's all part and parcel not just of decent universities but also most top end professional fields. If you feel you can't cope with little bit of cliqueyness at this level then it's pretty much a strong indication that you won't succeed in a top profession or even enter one. Hence you choose to go to an ex polytechnic with lower academic/professional standards, be surrounded by dimwits who probably averaged 5 GCSEs and whose idea of top grades at A-level are BCC. So yes if you can't handle the pressure and want to go to a place with lower standards and prospects then yes take the step down and go to an ex-polytechnic and be a weak loser.

Get a load of this guy lol. I'm going to stop using this site; it clearly hasn't changed in 4 years. Still full of university prestige obsessed kids. I'm too old for this ****.

Latest

Trending

Trending