KateEllie95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm thinking of working for Camp America in summer 2014, however, I'd like a bit of information from anyone who has experienced it? It would be really helpful if you could provide me with first hand experiences.

Thanks!
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never been on it but it looks like a total con in my opinion.
snowster
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been looking recently too as one of my friends went last year and they said it was amazing. Been looking at the brochure and it seems to be such an awesome experience... As long as my term dates fit in I'll be applying for sure
username1290254
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey!!!

Definitely do Camp America!!! I've been working at camp for the past two summers and am planning to get back this summer!! Provided I pass my exams!!

They've literally been the best summers of my life - I've got up to some crazy things (e.g. accidentally kicking my shoe over Niagara Falls, swimming in a lake at midnight!!), made some amazing friends (clichéd yeah, but they really are - I'm going inter railing with a camp friend before camp next summer!! ) Aaaaah!! Even talking about it makes me want to get back!!

It's an amazing experience and it's pretty sweet to have it on your CV!!! One of the first things I was asked in my job interview was all about camp!! Employers just love the fact that you have the guts to get up and head off to America for at least two months!!!

If you've got more questions or want to know more about what I got up to, send me a wee message!!

SERIOUSLY, GO FOR IT!!!!!
smudge_moon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
DO IT

I've applied for this year, and I'm spending three months in PA
I've done videos on my youtube including my application video, and what to expect at your interview if you want some more information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR2wp...ature=youtu.be
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes! Do it!

Cannot recommend it enough.
It always seems like we're sounding corny, but it will be one of the best summers of your life!
Well worth doing.
If you want to return to the same camp the year after just apply direct to the camp, some will do that and help with visas etc and then you'll end up with better pay as Camp America do take a cut for finding staff etc, same as most companies that do that (ie agencies)
But going with Camp America helps a lot and does take the stress out of it.
You'll be amazed at what you learn out there and what you get the chance to see. It also looks great on your c.v and I've always been asked by employers how i found it etc and why I did what I did (ie.going out there on my own).
All I can say is its definitely worth it and will change you as a person when you come back (even if thats just some american twang you pick up and a few extra pounds in weight haha)
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
charchr123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really want to do camp america, it honestly sounds amazing and right up my street. Im finishing my A2 exams at the end of june 2016, which will be too late to apply for 2016 camp. I just wondered when you went to camp and what did you do if you went the year after like i would have to. I'm thinking of just getting a job in a supermarket or something and earning money till the next june.
Many thanks
hannahbasx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I cannot recommend CA highly enough. I'm going back to camp for the third time this summer! I said that this year would be the year where I get my life together (just graduated uni) but camp is addictive and it was impossible for me to say no.

I've worked on two different camps, both have been special needs. My first summer I got placed at the Edinburgh recruitment fair, and had the most wonderful time at camp, but the campers were predominantly adults and I want really wanted to work with kids. So last year I went to the Manchester recruitment fair as there was a special needs camp there I wanted to speak to, and got placed at it! I adored the summer so much and after being asked back to the same camp for summer 2016 I said yes straight away. I'm actually having to leave my job to go back but as far as I'm concerned I've got all the time in the world to settle down with a proper job.

Camp is so unique, you're in a bubble where everyone just loves their job and the kids and what they're doing and it sounds so cheesy but it's the best environment ever. It's hard work, you work ridiculously long hours and get barely any time off but it's so worth it. You get really close to people really quickly and camp relationships are a lot more prominent than I ever expected haha, so be prepared for lots of that! When you get back to England you'll spend all your time wishing you were back at camp, and miraculously forget how tired and stressed you ever were.

Do it do it do it, you'll have the summer of a lifetime.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads