The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances for Student Finance?

Is there such a thing?

Otherwise I really think I'm going to end up living in a homeless shelter and have no food when I go to university next year :frown:
There is 'Compelling Personal Reasons' for if you need additional years funding (and in some cases, funding for years while you are a student but not studying (e.g your course is suspended on health grounds).

I am not aware of any extenuating circumstances to get more money in a given year, with the exception of the Special Support Grant (usually, in practice for lone parents,student couples with a child or students who have a qualifying disability). There is the access to learning fund at most universities which is extra money from your university instead of SF - see here.
Reply 2
Original post by rmhumphries
There is 'Compelling Personal Reasons' for if you need additional years funding (and in some cases, funding for years while you are a student but not studying (e.g your course is suspended on health grounds).

I am not aware of any extenuating circumstances to get more money in a given year, with the exception of the Special Support Grant (usually, in practice for lone parents,student couples with a child or students who have a qualifying disability). There is the access to learning fund at most universities which is extra money from your university instead of SF - see here.

I'm going to look into all the things you have mentioned and talk to my school. I know it's quite a while until I have to apply but this is just worrying me so much! Thank you so much for your reply :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SummerPi
I'm going to look into all the things you have mentioned and talk to my school. I know it's quite a while until I have to reply but this is just worrying me so much! Thank you so much for your reply :smile:

No problem - best of luck, hopefully you get something sorted :smile:
Reply 4
I might be reading the OPs problem differently. Because to me it sounds as though they're at school, want to apply to uni; but they feel their grades may suffer because of something that's happened.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
I might be reading the OPs problem differently. Because to me it sounds as though they're at school, want to apply to uni; but they feel their grades may suffer because of something that's happened.

I'm at school but I've just applied to university to start in 2014.

To cut it short there is a bit of a bad family situation going on which means our expenses are much much greater than our fairly high household income. It's upsetting all of us but I don't think it will effect my grades because I really do work so hard and I'm so determined to go to university :smile:
Family money problems do not qualify for exceptional circumstances at all.
Reply 7
Original post by balotelli12
Family money problems do not qualify for exceptional circumstances at all.

I didn't specify 'family money problems' I just do not want to be very specific on a public Internet forum. Someone in my family has a severe mental illness that causes him to lose a lot of money, this makes it very obvious what I'm talking about now.
Still won't make any difference to SFE I'm afraid.
If your family income will be more than 15% lower this year you can apply for a current year assessment which allows your entitlements to be worked out on that year rather the usual year behind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Still won't make any difference to SFE I'm afraid.
If your family income will be more than 15% lower this year you can apply for a current year assessment which allows your entitlements to be worked out on that year rather the usual year behind.

I really don't know how I'm going to be able to go to university then :frown: This has made me really sad and worried. I hope my school can help me.
(edited 10 years ago)
The most you could possibly expect is max grant and loan. That's what someone with no income in the family would receive. They never give more than that whatever the circumstances. Family debt is no concern of SFE.
(edited 10 years ago)
What balotelli said. They don't take any debts into account. Depending on your situation, you may get things like a bursary (but you usually need to be getting the grant on top) or a scholarship.
Reply 12
Okay. Thanks all for your help.
Nothing is going to stop me from going to university! Just need to have a long think about how I'm going to pay....
Are you sure you understand how it works?

You can get a tuition loan and a minimum maintenance loan without any trouble. Whilst you will need to do some part time work to make ends meet it is doable. Thousands do the same every year. You don't start paying a penny back until you are earning £21K a year, and only continue to pay as long as your income is over that figure.
Reply 14
Are you sure you understand how it works?

You can get a tuition loan and a minimum maintenance loan without any trouble. Whilst you will need to do some part time work to make ends meet it is doable. Thousands do the same every year. You don't start paying a penny back until you are earning £21K a year, and only continue to pay as long as your income is over that figure.

I think I do understand how it works. I know that I will get a tuition fee loan no matter what but what I am actually concerned about is that I will not get a maintenance loan because of my household's high income. Does this happen for some high income families?
I have worked throughout sixth form and so have some savings (maybe enough for almost a year's rent) and I really don't want to work through university as my A-Level grades have suffered because of it.
Ah, that explains it!

Everybody, no matter their income can have a non income assessed maintenance loan.
It won't be quite enough to get by on but as I said you can get a part time job to supplement it.

Go to the yougov site and put in student loans or visit moneysavingexpert student loans section for more information.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Haha! Sorry I'm really awful at explaining things sometimes :doh:

That's really good news to hear! Will look into it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending