The Student Room Group

Any advice for someone thinking of studying in Europe?

So I messed up first year at MMU and am currently taking a year off to assess my options and regroup a bit, but the main decision I've come to is I want to put myself through university and not waste my parents money.

As a result I've been looking into European universities, with a mind to study history in one of them (Copenhagen seems particularly good). Is there anyone currently doing a year abroad or maybe even a full degree in Europe and can provide me some advice, feedback or just general. Maybe someone whose just a bit sick of the prohibitively expensive uni system here in the UK?

Anyways, get back to me soon this is something I've got my heart set on but I could use some help.

Chris
Reply 1
In most cases, you will have to learn the language of the country you go to to the extent that you can fluently speak and write on academic level. Plus, if you failed first year at Manchester Metropolitan, what makes you think you will be more successful at a university in mainland Europe? No offence, but many universities in the European countries with a more respectable system of higher education (France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Scandinavian countries etc., as compared to, say, Eastern Europe, Portugal, Greece etc.) have a standard that is at least as high or higher than that of the UK in terms of assessment and workload.
Reply 2
OK, dont really think I have time to learn a language so ideally it would be a uni that teaches undergraduate courses in english, which I've been looking into and there are a few though admittedly not that many.

And obviously I would try next year, given the opportunity, I didn't fail the year at MMU out of stupidity (at least not academic stupidity) I just ****ed it up and didn't try at all. I dunno, I just feel like going to university in Europe and living in Europe would be so much more fun than England, help me out here man
Reply 3
Original post by hancockcjz
... help me out here man

You just asked about general advise, feedback etc. Well, what do you want to know about? It's pretty straightforward: check which universities in Europe offer history in English, check admission requirements (if not clearly stated on the website, e-mail them), check whether there are any tuition fees and how the cost of living is. The decide where you want to apply - factor in course content (bet you got a favourite phase in history, would be a shame if the specific course would skip it or only put minor emphasis on it), costs of living, the location etc. When you get offers, try to find people who have studied at your preferred location and visit the place before deciding.

And, quite frankly: being unwilling to learn the language of a place where you will live for at least three years is just lazy. A new language is not only helpful and great on a CV, you will also want to communicate with locals (not everyone on this planet is sufficiently proficient in English), especially in history universities place emphasis on the country they are located in and how exactly do you picture yourself analysing sources in a language you do not understand?

You don't want to live the stereotype of an anglophone expecting everyone abroad to speak his/her language, unwilling to learn any other language, do you? Most degrees in mainland Europe start in September/October, you got plenty of time to get at least a basic hang of any European language and time in the country will boost that to advanced proficiency faster than you would have imagined.

Now, I'm a German studying in Scotland (and currently in a year abroad in Australia) - I've obviously never studied in Germany, but have enough friends doing just that, so if you have any questions about Germany in general and universities in particular, feel free to ask :smile:

P.S. The language part might have sounded a bit harsh, but I'm just a bit tired of people from the UK/US travelling around the world with an "Walk into the club like 'Wazzup, speak my language!'" attitude. You'll have a hard time integrating into a society without being able to watch the television, read the newspaper etc., and you'll give others a hard time demanding them to speak a foreign language.
Original post by Sir Fox
In most cases, you will have to learn the language of the country you go to to the extent that you can fluently speak and write on academic level.

Whilst that may be true there are still many places in Europe where it is possible to study for a degree entirely in English. The Netherlands in particular offers many courses taught in English. Unless you have a lot of money I'd forget about studying in Scandinavia, the fees might be cheap/free but the cost of living is very high and you are unlikely to find work without speaking the local language.
Even though there are European countries which offer degrees in English, I think it's very disrespectful to move to a country and not learn the language.
Reply 6
well its just I've done some research and a lot of countries, particularly Germany and the Netherlands already have large english speaking populations so you dont neccesarily need the language to function. I would obviously try to learn I just don't want to apply to a course in a language I don't know confidently. I can't be the only English person whose thought of this fees here are so ridiculously expensive and living in Europe would be so much nicer then living in the UK in like every single way!
well its just I've done some research and a lot of countries, particularly Germany and the Netherlands already have large english speaking populations so you dont neccesarily need the language to function. I would obviously try to learn I just don't want to apply to a course in a language I don't know confidently. I can't be the only English person whose thought of this fees here are so ridiculously expensive and living in Europe would be so much nicer then living in the UK in like every single way!

Not only is that disrespectful of the culture of the European country that you will be studying, it also shows that you are being very culturally insensitive, ignorant of other cultures, and unwilling to learn new things.

Given that you have another chance to make up for your mistakes by going to another country, don't you think it will be somewhat appropriate to learn at least part of their language and culture? I don't think it's that hard to speak a few words and at least know the basic function of that language, especially since you'll be going to one who does not use English as their primary language.

Another point: German universities set pretty high standards with their higher education system, so I would suggest raising your standards up before considering going to one. I don't know too much to comment about the Netherlands, but I'm sure its standards will be similar to that of Germany, especially with Leiden University and Utrecht.

Personally, I would suggest continuing your studies in the UK and make up for your past grades, and maybe you will end off better than if you were to study in the mainland. However, if you are interested in history and persistent in studying abroad, then I would recommend countries like France, Germany, or Austria.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I'd only be living there three years and I'm frankly really really bad at learning languages, its nothing to do with culture or respect I just want to get uni done and make up for lost time. its not even a short cut or anything I just want to be able to go to university and pay for it myself debt-free
I'd only be living there three years and I'm frankly really really bad at learning languages, its nothing to do with culture or respect I just want to get uni done and make up for lost time. its not even a short cut or anything I just want to be able to go to university and pay for it myself debt-free

It's fine if you are bad at learning languages, but you have to understand that you'll have to know the language of the country where you'll be going to university in order to take their classes. The problem here is that there aren't many universities, or even programs, in other countries that will teach in English. And even if you do find one, it will most likely be one that has high admission requirements, one with a program that is not history, or one that is teaching in English, but it is a masters program.

Anyways, I found a website that lists a few European universities that teach in English, but most of them are MA programs. http://www.study-info.eu/index.htm
I want to do an MA in Copenhagen next year (sept2014) but may end up doing some BA courses there to get on to the MA archaeology course, I'm in my final year of History degree but same as you really want to move away badly. I have Danish friends out there making it easier for me to settle in, everyone out there speaks in English they don't think I need Danish to find work but still learning using Copenhagencast.com, free courses taught in English, can receive grants excess of £500 a month you don't have to pay back, and can travel round the city by foot or bicycle saving plenty of money in that regard, definitely would recommend going away big difference on your CV life experience and a language behind you or pay £9000 a year here plus whatever else
Reply 11
thank for not biting my head off Jordan, I'm glad someone had th same idea and its not such a mad and offensive idea

do you know of anyone whose actually managed to pull this off though and is currently living the dream?
thank for not biting my head off Jordan, I'm glad someone had th same idea and its not such a mad and offensive idea

do you know of anyone whose actually managed to pull this off though and is currently living the dream?

Well theres loads of people on this site who've moved away to do some courses in Europe and loved it, don't know anyone who has gone away personally like but you've got to take the initiative, I've had enough here of the lifestyle and its impossible to find work so no way would I pay £9000 a year only to work at Asda at the end of it, think I'm going to apply for some BA Archaeology courses for Sept 2014 at Copenhagen Uni

There's a few US Need blind colleges you could try for if you don't want to learn a language (and you will need to, things like setting up a bank account, renting somewhere etc. demand reasonable linguistic ability). Harvard, Yale, Amherst, MIT, Cornell and Princeton if I remember rightly.

Obviously you'd need the grades for them too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending