The Student Room Group

Should I appeal against my driving test?

Hello everyone.. :smile:

I saw that you guys having a nice discussions here, as I am especially interested in the practical test.

I am forced to appeal in order to get a new appointment for my driving test as I am absolutely unsatisfied with the test I had, even I am person who always blame myself in order to improve and no one else.

This is what happened:
The test was positive for me, I passed everything I had, but eventually after more than 40 minutes of driving I was coming back to test center.
When I was heading forward, examiner instantly said to turn to car park in order to do bay parking, unfortunately the details he provided to me were way after I could focus and do the turn.
At least I even managed to check the middle mirror and press the breaks quickly, but even that it was not enough to get in to the car park, I was thinking to keep going forward and come back for proper turn, in that way he couldn't fail me of missing a turn, but however I was forced to turn by examiner, where I saw it's not going to be possible to get in any way, so therefore it led me to go backwards a little and then get in to. The bay park was fine - I passed.
Ultimately when we came back to test center, I was really hoping that examiner will understand his mistake and will not fail me for this. However he failed me for change of speed, that I stopped quickly, which I was forced and steering which is absolutely unfair, everything else was perfect.
If I would look from another point of view, if the details were provided for me earlier I would have done completely good turn, as I was doing during the whole test and ultimately would have passed the test.
Instructor was 100% sure that I have to appeal, after he heard the conclusion. I was just shocked and without words.

What do you think??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NaturalProduct

I saw that you guys having a nice discussions here, as I am especially interested in the practical test.

I am forced to appeal in order to get a new appointment for my driving test as I am absolutely unsatisfied with the test I had, even I am person who always blame myself in order to improve and no one else.

This is what happened:
The test was positive for me, I passed everything I had, but eventually after more than 40 minutes of driving I was coming back to test center.
When I was heading forward, examiner instantly said to turn to car park in order to do bay parking, unfortunately the details he provided to me were way after I could focus and do the turn.
At least I even managed to check the middle mirror and press the breaks quickly, but even that it was not enough to get in to the car park, I was thinking to keep going forward and come back for proper turn, in that way he couldn't fail me of missing a turn, but however I was forced to turn by examiner, where I saw it's not going to be possible to get in any way, so therefore it led me to go backwards a little and then get in to. The bay park was fine - I passed.
Ultimately when we came back to test center, I was really hoping that examiner will understand his mistake and will not fail me for this. However he failed me for change of speed, that I stopped quickly, which I was forced and steering which is absolutely unfair, everything else was perfect.
If I would look from another point of view, if the details were provided for me earlier I would have done completely good turn, as I was doing during the whole test and ultimately would have passed the test.
Instructor was 100% sure that I have to appeal, after he heard the conclusion. I was just shocked and without words.

What do you think??

Unfortunately, I don't think you can appeal. They will just dismiss your claim straight away. I think it's pretty disgusting given that it costs £62 to take the test. On my second attempt, I only had two minors, but was given a serious fault for taking too long to notice a green light at traffic lights. I was 3/4 seconds too slow. My driving instructor was pretty annoyed, but said there was nothing I could really do about it.

I failed my 3rd and 4th tests (mainly due to nerves - I was a relatively confident and competent driver). I then passed on my 5th attempt, meaning I'd spent £312 in total, just on tests. There should be some sort of appeal process, but the DVLA are too lazy to do anything about it.
yes but what you did was dangerous so fair enough. You can't be failed for missing a turn - you just have to right yourself safely. If you don't drive safely throughout your whole test you will fail. End of.
Reply 3
You are in control of the car, it doesn't matter what your examiner says, you still have to drive safely and as you would no your own. You cannot be failed for missing a turning, you would just turn around later.
There is no official 'appeal' system. I think you can try to reclaim your test fee by going through a magistrates court, but this could be a lengthy process that wouldn't actually save much money or effort. If the circumstances were indeed as you report, then it is extremely unfair but I'm afraid there's not much I would advise you to do other than to pick yourself up and get ready for the next one.
Thank you for quick answers guys. :smile: I am still going to try to appeal and will see what answer they will give to me, as I am not risking anything because of just asking them..
Personally I think, it is one of the situations that appeal must work if its even work (if they are even giving a new appointment because of appeals), so will see where this will go.. :smile:
At the bottom of the website where you can appeal they say: "Our service standard is that we will: make appointments available within 9 weeks at car driving test centres in 90% of cases" - which is makes more interesting.

However it was my fourth attempt. In first I failed because of bad signaling in roundabout(in which I never been before), in second one I had 0 minors and 1 serious, third one 1 minor and 1 serious and eventually this was my fourth attempt and this is the reason.. :smile: I don't even take lessons after my second attempt, as the hour before test makes me to get used to the car again. However as you can see I keep failing on one specific thing.. I feel like I am really unlucky at this and getting negative examiners, where they spot serious where it should be a minor - for example in my second test I didn't check 100% is the car coming on the road - examiner told me. Even I was aware about the coming cars, the road was with cars parked on both sides and only one car can get through, however even before coming in that road I spotted car and stopped for it, but still failed, which is ridiculous as well.

I am sure that this is the UK driving tests, one of the toughest tests in the world - but at the end of the day they just need to make sure that certain amount of people would not pass the test.

So therefore let's back to the topic, does anyone have done the appeal and had a positive answer?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by james22
You are in control of the car, it doesn't matter what your examiner says, you still have to drive safely and as you would no your own. You cannot be failed for missing a turning, you would just turn around later.

I don't think that it doesn't matter what the examiner says.. :smile: it depends on situation eventually. It's even tougher when you are under the pressure and want to do everything fine.. :smile:
Reply 7
I don't think that it doesn't matter what the examiner says.. :smile: it depends on situation eventually. It's even tougher when you are under the pressure and want to do everything fine.. :smile:

What you did was, by the standards of the examiner and the standards of the DVLA, a serious fault. What you did is not made any better just because you were following instructions.
Reply 8
You can't appeal the result of a driving test. You can only appeal if the test wasn't conducted properly e.g. you aren't tested on enough manoeuvres.

The situation you experienced on your test is reflective of something that could happen in real life - a friend forgetting to tell you to turn in at the last minute. Your reaction was dangerous and you failed the test.

Take it on the chin and rebook. We've all had to pass the same test. It's difficult because driving is dangerous.
I feel even bad for my friend rather than myself. He failed his third attempt today hitting the kerb very bad at the very end of the test when he had to stop next to the driving center, so therefore examiner was forced to fail him even my friend had 0 minors at all.

Oh god...:smile:)
Reply 10
Original post by FXX
You can't appeal the result of a driving test. You can only appeal if the test wasn't conducted properly e.g. you aren't tested on enough manoeuvres.

The situation you experienced on your test is reflective of something that could happen in real life - a friend forgetting to tell you to turn in at the last minute. Your reaction was dangerous and you failed the test.

Take it on the chin and rebook. We've all had to pass the same test. It's difficult because driving is dangerous.

To be fair, a friend doesn't carry the same authority of a driving examiner. However, I personally would have thought it was a test to see if I'd do it, a bit mean though.
I am sure that this is the UK driving tests, one of the toughest tests in the world - but at the end of the day they just need to make sure that certain amount of people would not pass the test.

Try passing the Finnish test. :yep:

They have to really be able to drive!
Reply 12

This is what happened:

What do you think??

No point appealing, unfortunately you drove dangerously by slamming on your breaks. What you should have done was continued driving, found a sensible place to turn, and then come back for the bay park. You cannot be failed for going the wrong way, so long as you drive safely.
Original post by MJ1012
To be fair, a friend doesn't carry the same authority of a driving examiner. However, I personally would have thought it was a test to see if I'd do it, a bit mean though.

Same as I thought.. :smile: Just waited for someone to say this first:wink:
Reply 14
Best advice I was given was if you can't do it in good time, don't bother and drive past. You will only risk a minor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Failed first atempt due to reversing wide around a corner gt 11 minors. Passed 2nd time yesterday :tongue: (Ridiculous). I suggest you have a 2hr session once a week or every fortnight and test week you should have another 2 hrs session a day before test day. It will cost a lot but in the long run it is better to have more practice than to get used to the car on test day WITH so much nerves. I wish you all the best. Btw you driving manual or automatic?
Original post by singleandrich
Failed first atempt due to reversing wide around a corner gt 11 minors. Passed 2nd time yesterday :tongue: (Ridiculous). I suggest you have a 2hr session once a week or every fortnight and test week you should have another 2 hrs session a day before test day. It will cost a lot but in the long run it is better to have more practice than to get used to the car on test day WITH so much nerves. I wish you all the best. Btw you driving manual or automatic?

Good job! :smile: It's manual. The key thing is I feel confident about test, I do not even feel nervous anymore, I am just doing my best, seems everything going fine and suddenly little mistake happens which cost to fail the test, it's like a curse or something :\

Obviously Instructor going to stay in your side in one way or another, but the basic thing is he says that I am driving like the person who should have licenses for long time already.

At the end of the day, the biggest reason is the money and time that I should feel upset about.

:smile:
Good job! :smile: It's manual. The key thing is I feel confident about test, I do not even feel nervous anymore, I am just doing my best, seems everything going fine and suddenly little mistake happens which cost to fail the test, it's like a curse or something :\

Obviously Instructor going to stay in your side in one way or another, but the basic thing is he says that I am driving like the person who should have licenses for long time already.

At the end of the day, the biggest reason is the money and time that I should feel upset about.

:smile:

true lol I spent more than a grand from June to now. Funniest thing is that the examiner that failed me 1st time was the same guy I had yesterday. Lol i laughed it off. Yh money is a very big issue. The test cost a fortune.
You don't get failed for missing a turn, only if you drive unsafely e.g. changing speed too drastically. When I had my test, my examiner told me to pull over as soon as possible in a safe spot, only for me to find that the road had loads of side streets, bus stops and cars parked all down it so as far as I could see there was no safe place to stop. He wasn't happy and claimed there was loads of places, but he couldn't fail me as I didn't do anything unsafe. I passed first time. Unfortunately there is no appeal process for driving tests, they will just dismiss it and ask you to do a retest. It is a con really, since you may have a genuine case, but from what you've explained of the situation it does seem that you drove unsafely by breaking hard and turning quickly.
Hello community,

They replied to my appeal and the answer was negative, what I was kind a sure about it. However, I took my 5th test today and finally passed with 4 minors! Such a relief and good feeling.. :smile: with theory and driving lessons/tests it took me nearly a year to finally get to this stage.

For those who still trying to pass, all I can tell, this day will come in to your lives as well, I am certainly sure about that. :wink:) best of luck