The Student Room Group

Remembering our fallen - the rise of poppy snobs.

Anyone who reads the Metro in the morning may be aware of the recent debate in the comments section about the wearing of poppies.

Essentially, there were a few comments which suggested that those who do not wear poppies are unpatriotic haters of war veterans. This has caused outrage amongst morning commuters.

Now I have just seen this article on google, from our old friend: Richard "Mein Fuhrer" Littlejohn. When did you last see a poppy on a burka?

In the article, Littlejohn manages to combine his love of England with his hate for Burkas and human rights. To be fair to him - the article isn't too bad. But it is the last few lines which annoy me:

Women who opt to hide their ‘modesty’ in these ridiculous sackcloth bin-liners are no less patriotic than the rest of us, they insist.

Oh, yeah?

When I see a bird in a burka wearing a poppy, I might just agree with them.

Slightly insulting - but also suggesting that anyone who fails to pin a poppy to themselves is not patriotic.

So, do you agree with this view? Do you need a poppy to remember the fallen? Do you wear a poppy and look down on those who don't?
(edited 10 years ago)
I've never personally worn a poppy apart from at primary school. It doesn't mean for one second that I have any less respect towards those lives lost.

And how does he know that everyone who IS wearing a poppy is even doing it for the right reasons? Some might not even know what the whole point of it is. Just like people who wear band shirts of bands they've never even heard of.

This whole debate is just insulting to those who lost their lives, imo. People should just shut the hell up. Buy a poppy if you want to, and don't if you don't. Just stop the hate, it's vile.
Reply 2
I usually buy them but I never wear them.
Reply 3
You've got people who seem to compete to be wearing the largest poppy possible too. As long as you aren't burning poppies, I see no reason to assume you are an unpatriotic hater.
Its all just covert hatred of foreigners at the end of the day. Basically working class heroes projecting their thuggery, zenophobia and economic woes on to the national collective; creating that bizarre spectable we see every single sodding mid November of football hooligans standing shoulder to shoulder with Mail reading pensioners.
Reply 5
This isnt a rise. it happens every damn year. and every year we just have to ignore such ********s.
Reply 6
If there wasn't a media ****storm that followed a public non-wearing of one, it wouldn't be a deal. The papers stir up a fuss where there was none previously.

Do I wear a poppy? I do. But I wear a metal pin badge that I've had for a few years and donate frequently. If, however, I was waiting until I see an RBL fundraiser, I'd still be poppy-less. If I don't come across someone selling them, then what?

This is the media's fight, not the public's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending