The Student Room Group

What are the odds on a 40 year old single mum getting a place at Uni?

Desperately want to be a Primary School teacher, have done for years now, and now, thankfully, wahoo!! I have the chance!!
I am doing an HEFC access course to gain the right amount of credits as they've said my qualifactions were too long ago and not enough. Just half-wondering if Northumbria or Sunderland have a quota of mature students that they need to fill or are all applicants compared exactly!
I'd have thought you stand as much chance as any other student? I know some unis offer lower entry grades for mature (eg: 21+ starting age) students
There's not normally a quota, but I don't think that you'll have a problem. With the right academic qualifications (which you'll have), and some childcare experience (having kids is good, but having some school based experience is better - could you volunteer in your child's school e.g. listening to reading?) you'll be a fairly attractive candidate. I've seen some fairly clueless 18 year olds get onto primary teaching courses, so I don't think you'll have a problem.
Reply 3
Thanks all, done 3 years non-school voluntary work with Girl guides, a day in a Montessori school and 1 day a week booked into local primary school so hopefully I'll be a good candidate.
Just a bit worried that I have been told by both Northumbria and Sunderland to get DDD at my HEFC course, bricking it a bit as it is really hard!
Reply 4
your chances are as good as you make them, and also make sure you have some options or if those are the only unis you want to go to study damn hard to meet the conditions
Reply 5
They're the only local universities that offer the course as I can't go further afield. Studying damn hard yes!!!! :smile:
Hi, I did an Access Course last year and there were a few over 40's and there was one lady in particular that had a young child, she did fine. In fact, all the older students got into uni. Good luck though I'm sure you will do great.
Reply 7
Original post by Northie74
Desperately want to be a Primary School teacher, have done for years now, and now, thankfully, wahoo!! I have the chance!!
I am doing an HEFC access course to gain the right amount of credits as they've said my qualifactions were too long ago and not enough. Just half-wondering if Northumbria or Sunderland have a quota of mature students that they need to fill or are all applicants compared exactly!

Your chances are just as equal as everybody elses, no matter how old you are! And what grades you've got too. There's absolutely no quota whatsoever on age. You can be 99 and still apply for university! It's all about the diversity and equality side of life :biggrin: good luck! I'm happy for you!
Reply 8
Sent off application yesterday, fingers and toes crossed :smile:
Sent off application yesterday, fingers and toes crossed :smile:

Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thank you. Turns out I had BCE as my grades. Amazing what you find out when you research your history!
All teaching courses are competitive and limited on places so you need too get best grades possible and really sell yourself in interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I'm revising like mad for my current access course exam in 10 days and I've got my QTS English exam booked the week after. Fingers crossed I will get an interview at Northumbria and Sunderland.
Reply 13
Original post by Stephanie_12
Hi, I did an Access Course last year and there were a few over 40's and there was one lady in particular that had a young child, she did fine. In fact, all the older students got into uni. Good luck though I'm sure you will do great.

Thanks Stephanie, much appreciated!
I'm revising like mad for my current access course exam in 10 days and I've got my QTS English exam booked the week after. Fingers crossed I will get an interview at Northumbria and Sunderland.

Best of luck. I know a few people who did the HEFC last year who applied for primary teaching. Most of them were successful.
Reply 15
Got interview @ Northumbria :-)
Well done, and good luck!
That's great to hear, good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending