The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I dont think so. Usually its an optional expectance at A-level. The only GCSE qualification i think universities look for is english at B grade and above.

Have a look at uni courses and see what the minimums are, for medicine its usually chemistry and two others from biology, physics, mathematics.
Reply 2
no you only need chemistry and biology
Reply 3
only chem n bio:smile:
Yeah no worries you don't need Physics. I'm surprised you didn't do it though-don't most people whether they do Triple Award or Double (Co-ordinated Sciences)? If you didn't have do to it...you're incredibly fortunate :smile: The IGCSE Physics course in Co-Sci was a complete waste of time.
Reply 5
Everyone should do some Physics at GCSE, doesn't matter what board or what syllabus. Even in double science people do Physics and in Triple (obviously) as well.
Reply 6
ye if u did dual award science that includes physics right
but bio and chem are required with maths being useful
Cataclysm
Everyone should do some Physics at GCSE, doesn't matter what board or what syllabus. Even in double science people do Physics and in Triple (obviously) as well.

Yep that's what I meant. You said it better :smile:
Reply 8
lol, nah i just did biology and chemistry (as separate sciences), my school doesn't offer dual award science, students just have to do a minimum of one science at GCSE. But they're changing it now, so the current year 9s (will be yr10s from september),have to either do 3 separate sciences (bio, chem and phys) or they do dual award, but it wasn't like that for me or previous years.:biggrin: And I hated Physics, so I dropped it!!:biggrin:
pagal kuri
lol, nah i just did biology and chemistry (as separate sciences), my school doesn't offer dual award science, students just have to do a minimum of one science at GCSE.

Same at mine - you could choose any combination of between one and three science subjects. Everyone in the year bar one did biology (seen as a "friendly" science...?) and most people did atleast one other, with many choosing all three.
From Manchester Uni Dentistry entry req.

A level: Grades AAB. This must include Chemistry and Biology at grade A and one AS-level at grade B or above. Alternatively, two A-levels at grades AB and three AS-levels at grades AAB, including Chemistry and Biology. If only one of Biology and Chemistry is studied to A-level the other must be studied to AS-level and one other science, from Physics, Mathematics or Computer Science, must be studied to A-level. General Studies is excluded.

GCSE: We normally require five of your GCSEs to be at a minimum of Grade A (including either Integrated Double Award Science or Physics, Chemistry and Biology) and Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.

But they do a 6 year course of which you dont need any science background. So you should be fine, assuming other universities have similar entry requirements.

Latest