The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry help!!!!

Write down the symbols, with charge signs for ions of the following elements. Lithium, sodium, potassium, beryllium, magnesium, calcium, oxygen, fluorine and chlorine.

Water and diamond are both covalent compounds. Explain why water melts at 0•c and diamond at more than 300•c.

Common salt (sodium chloride) and aluminium both have giant structures. Explain why aluminium conducts electricity and solid salt does not?

Any help would be incredible!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
At least symbols you can easily check by yourself, it is just a matter of opening your book on the periodic table, or googling for the periodic table, or googling for the elements you listed.
Reply 2
Original post by Borek
At least symbols you can easily check by yourself, it is just a matter of opening your book on the periodic table, or googling for the periodic table, or googling for the elements you listed.

Yeh, I know that. It's the other two I need a little help with :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
1.check period table:smile:
2.Water are a simple molecules with covalent bonds.
When one of these substances melts or boils, it is these weak 'inter molecular forces' that break, not the strong covalent bonds. Simple molecular substances are gases, liquids or solids with low melting and boiling points.
Substances with giant covalent structures have very high melting points, because a lot of strong covalent bonds must be broken such as diamonds. (bbc bitesize helped me here:colondollar:)
3.Aluminum is a metal and so it experiences delocalised electrons (so doesn't stay attached to each atom) and has a sea of delocalised electrons so the electrons can move freely in the structure. Where as solid salt has no delocalised or free electrons so when a current is sent through it the electrons cannot move freely!

hope this helps:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by karlismith
1.check period table:smile:
2.Water are a simple molecules with covalent bonds.
When one of these substances melts or boils, it is these weak 'inter molecular forces' that break, not the strong covalent bonds. Simple molecular substances are gases, liquids or solids with low melting and boiling points.
Substances with giant covalent structures have very high melting points, because a lot of strong covalent bonds must be broken such as diamonds. (bbc bitesize helped me here:colondollar:)
3.Aluminum is a metal and so it experiences delocalised electrons (so doesn't stay attached to each atom) and has a sea of delocalised electrons so the electrons can move freely in the structure. Where as solid salt has no delocalised or free electrons so when a current is sent through it the electrons cannot move freely!

hope this helps:biggrin:

Thanks so much!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest