Conservation volunteer recommendations

Watch
Brunoski
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I live in the UK and have taken a gap year, before going to university to study zoology. I plan to spend a month or two volunteering abroad, starting around February 2014. However, I am struggling to find a suitable project.

I am looking to go to either south east Asia or Latin America to help conserve terrestrial wildlife. I want the work to be as research orientated and scientific as possible and I do not want to take part in community projects or teaching activities, since I am strictly interested in zoology and conservation.

Since it will be my first time away from home, I will require good in-country support and preferably transfers to/from the airport.

I have looked at many of the larger companies such as GVI and Frontier, but after reading certain reviews that describe these placements as more of a summer camp than conservation work, I am somewhat skeptical about the actual work.

It would be great if someone who has previously been on a similar project could recommend me a company, however any and all advice will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pariah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What is your longer term aim/what are you hoping to get from the experience?

If it is to get conservation work in the UK I would recommend volunteering here, spending some time building natural history skills (which in my experience are often woeful in students who want to get into conservation) and then just travel for fun. Get a wildlife guide and some binoculars and travel around Costa Rica or something.
liv89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I have recently spent six months in the peruvian amazon rainforest. I was an intern but the organisation also has a lot of volunteers. It is very scientific based and you will learn about different survey techniques such as pitfalls, visual encounter surveys, camera traps etc. Also the in country support is great and you will get picked up from the airport at cusco and they will organise accomodation until you depart for the rainforest. They will happily arrange transport to the airport at the end of trip, book extra tours and trips such as Macchu picchu. The organisation is called the crees foundation. feel free to pm me for more info.
addymartin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Except both the company many other organization available for volunteering work abroad and specially for conservation. You can volunteer in Costa-Rica, Ecuador, Israel, Peru, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka and Thailand. You need to visit at volunteeringsolutions.com and select project which is most suitable for you.

Cheers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.58%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.42%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.33%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.4%
Financial worries (22)
6.9%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.52%

Watched Threads