The Student Room Group

A question for girls

Okay, I don't want this question to come accross in the wrong way so I will try and word it correctly.

I have never had a problem getting girls or girlfriends as such but since moving to london a few months back I am finding it hard to meet new people as I spent my whole life in bournemouth.
I don't like using dating websites and the people I hang around with dont attract the sort of girls I would class as someone I would want a relationship with.

So what I am wondering is if a guy you thought was fairly attractive just walked up to you in the street and seemed like a nice sort of person and just came out and said something like " hey, I know you have no idea who I am but your really pretty and I was wondering if we could hang out sometime " or something along those lines what would your reaction be.

sometimes I just see the most gorgeous girl in the street and wish I would do it but my confidence being low and fear of being thought of as a weirdo or someone just looking for sex ( witch I am not ) stops me.

Any advice or tips would really be appriciated, as I said i'm not really into dating sites I prefer to meet people the natrual way but have found it hard to meet the " right " sort of girl for me since moving here.

one of my main questions I guess is if A guy did that in an nice and polite way would you automaticly assume he was just looking for sex, as I cant stand the idea of being thought of like that when just asking someone for there number or to hang out.

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Interesting thread. Looking forward to the responses
Reply 2
Get a friend to hook you up
Go clubbing and hope you find a decent girl

That's all

London isn't like other cities (e.g. Newcastle) half the women may politely tell you they aren't interested/ have a boyfriend the other half will simply ignore you straight up or tell you to **** off.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd be flattered, but would assume you were taking the mickey.
Reply 4
Original post by Ameliapond
Interesting thread. Looking forward to the responses

What would your reaction be :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Maid Marian
I'd be flattered, but would assume you were taking the mickey.

what do you mean as In I was trying to make a joke out of you ?
Reply 6
Original post by chr1s5opher
What would your reaction be :biggrin:

I'm a guy sorry

yes I know my thing has a female gender sign.

If a girl did it though I would probably take it seriously, I suppose I'm naive in that respect
Reply 7
Original post by yaboy
Get a friend to hook you up
Go clubbing and hope you find a decent girl

That's all

London isn't like other cities (e.g. Newcastle) half the women may politely tell you they aren't interested/ have a boyfriend the other half will simply ignore you straight up or tell you to **** off.

Is london really like that ?
I do go clubbing and don't have a problem "getting laid" if thats what your reffering to, but thats not what i'm looking for.... Besides I don't tend to see the kinda girls I like in clubs that often anyway.
Reply 8
I'm a guy sorry

If a girl did it though I would probably take it seriously, I suppose I'm naive in that respect

I cant really imagine why anyone would think someone was taking the micky, Why would someone play a sick joke like that by themsevles without even friends with them to laugh at it, Bit sociopathic
what do you mean as In I was trying to make a joke out of you ?

Yup. :sadnod:
Reply 10
Okay, I don't want this question to come accross in the wrong way so I will try and word it correctly.

I have never had a problem getting girls or girlfriends as such but since moving to london a few months back I am finding it hard to meet new people as I spent my whole life in bournemouth.
I don't like using dating websites and the people I hang around with dont attract the sort of girls I would class as someone I would want a relationship with.

So what I am wondering is if a guy you thought was fairly attractive just walked up to you in the street and seemed like a nice sort of person and just came out and said something like " hey, I know you have no idea who I am but your really pretty and I was wondering if we could hang out sometime " or something along those lines what would your reaction be.

I like the idea of seeing a girl I like the look of and just doing that but my confidence being low and fear of being thought of as a weirdo or someone just looking for sex stops me.

Any advice or tips would really be appriciated, as I said i'm not really into dating sites I prefer to meet people the natrual way but have found it hard to meet the " right " sort of my girl for me since moving here.

I think that's a bit too bold and in your face coming from a complete stranger tbh, especially the 'I know you have no idea who I am' part :indiff: Instead find something to make small talk about like the weather or another neutral topic and then after a few minutes you can gauge her reaction to see whether she's interested or not. Asking someone to hang out without even talking a little bit first seems like a bad move to me.
Another thing is that appearance does matter, make sure you're well presented and people are less likely to think you're a creepy weirdo, and the confidence will come soon enough once you realise that even if you do get rejected, you haven't lost much at all and you can learn from it :iiam:
Reply 11
I cant really imagine why anyone would think someone was taking the micky, Why would someone play a sick joke like that by themsevles without even friends with them to laugh at it, Bit sociopathic

That's the exact view I take. Unless they enjoy manipulating strangers who ask them out
I'm a guy sorry

:eek: traitor!

OP I would be flattered but probably very embarrassed. It's very forward. Although some girls like that.
Reply 13
I wouldn't be interested at all, I have no interest in dating random people I haven't gotten to know before hand.

I wouldn't feel safe going on a date with someone I didn't know. After all, a lot of the guys in that rape/victim responsibility thread would suggest that if anything were to happen to me, it would be partially my fault. I don't agree at all of course, but just consider that. Nope, not going there.

Other people may feel differently though, just thought I'd point out that some girls wouldn't take the chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I would most likely ignore you and keep walking like most people in London would do if you asked them for anything. Also because I don't (and a lot of girls wouldn't) trust a random guy on the street not to be some danger to me just because he's attractive.
Also the way you said you'd approach girls pretty much comes across as you only wanting sex, because how can you really want a relationship with someone you've never talked to before?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
:eek: traitor!

OP I would be flattered but probably very embarrassed. It's very forward. Although some girls like that.

sorry girls. you have to wonder why I've never posted on the Girls Vs Boys thread, I don't want to go against my fellow comrades :lol:
Reply 16
Is london really like that ?
I do go clubbing and don't have a problem "getting laid" if thats what your reffering to, but thats not what i'm looking for.... Besides I don't tend to see the kinda girls I like in clubs that often anyway.

I mean it's rare that you are gonna see a girl at a train station and then end up going off in the sunset together that just doesn't happen here.

you really do have to get to know them before knowing whether or not anything will happen.
This is the problem. We're told to be weary and cautious of strangers to the point where we instantly suspect a stranger coming up to us as having some sort of ulterior motive. It's ridiculous.
Reply 18
Original post by nyan~
I think that's a bit too bold and in your face coming from a complete stranger tbh, especially the 'I know you have no idea who I am' part :indiff: Instead find something to make small talk about like the weather or another neutral topic and then after a few minutes you can gauge her reaction to see whether she's interested or not. Asking someone to hang out without even talking a little bit first seems like a bad move to me.
Another thing is that appearance does matter, make sure you're well presented and people are less likely to think you're a creepy weirdo, and the confidence will come soon enough once you realise that even if you do get rejected, you haven't lost much at all and you can learn from it :iiam:

your right about trying to make small talk first, But the lacking confidence part means its even harder for me to start a conversation with someone than just blurt out " HIII CAN WE HANG OUT SOMETIME " haha.

I'm just not sure how to meet the kinda girls I really like I have made friends since moving here but without being rude the girls they hang out with just arent my type, Sometimes I see a girl in the street and think OMG I wish I would just talk to her, I have done it once in the past by making small talk with a really pretty girl I Saw and it worked but it turned out she was heading back to live in france 2 weeks later so no luck haha/
Unfortunately if you're not a pretty good-looking guy then most girls will be creeped out, I know from experience.

Because I'm good-looking:awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending