University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I'm a second year student Sociology student at the University of Bath so feel free to quote me and ask me any questions about studying sociology at university, studying at Bath or just university life in general!

If you want to be really mean, you can even ask about my plans after university and where studying Sociology might take you.

I look forward to talking to you guys and hopefully I can help some of you out

Nicole.
Talia:)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Nicole
I am thinking of taking sociology. How do you find the course? Did you take alevel sociology? How do you think they differ in difficulty level?

And I'll be mean, what are your plans after uni? :P
tminty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Nicole,

I'm also thinking of doing sociology What plans do you have for the future as i'm worried that i won't have a career at the end of it. Is it all essay based? What's Bath university like as i went to Bath Spa and i was really disappointed :/

Thanks!!
Damonashlee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey I'm a first year at uclan and I'm having a lot of difficulty with my first assignment... I don't know how to structure it and reference... Don't suppose you could help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Bath
Rep:
?
(Original post by Talia:))
Hi Nicole
I am thinking of taking sociology. How do you find the course? Did you take alevel sociology? How do you think they differ in difficulty level?

And I'll be mean, what are your plans after uni? :P
Hi there,

Glad to hear that! I really enjoy studying it, it's such an interesting course! Sociology really allows you to examine the society around you and how its organisations can affect how people within it will experience life. I've got to study some great units as part of my course too.

I did take A Level Sociology, but it is very rare that an institution will require you to do so. In fact many people who do apply haven't studied the course before. Having that prior knowledge will help throughout the course, but not taking the A Level definitely won't put you at a disadvantage!

The first year of a Sociology degree is usually there to go through all the key thinkers, theoretical perspectives and debates within Sociology and get everyone up to the same level. So if you haven't studied it before, don't worry!

I would say they do differ in difficulty, but it helped already having studied the A Level. Studying it at university can be harder because you'll go into much more depth with issues and theories, but this can also be much more interesting. You're also expected to do outside reading as well, but there is always so much support available if you struggle.

Well luckily studying Sociology leads you to many career paths because it's so interdisciplinary. So my options are endless! I'm largely thinking about a career in social media and marketing at the moment, as I'm really interested in technology and the internet's impact on society.

However, I've also considered teaching, human resources or working with young offenders. I'm hoping my placement year will help me choose for certain. Don't worry if you're not entirely sure yourself, because the skills and knowledge you'll gain are transferable and suitable for so many different careers. It's likely studying at university will help you decide!

I really hope this isn't too much information and that I've helped, feel free to quote me if you have any more questions.

Good luck with everything,

Nicole.
University of Bath
Rep:
?
(Original post by tminty)
Hi Nicole,

I'm also thinking of doing sociology What plans do you have for the future as i'm worried that i won't have a career at the end of it. Is it all essay based? What's Bath university like as i went to Bath Spa and i was really disappointed :/

Thanks!!
Hi!

That's great! Have you studied sociology before?

In the post above I've mentioned my plans for after I've finished my degree if you want to check them out there. But like I said before - studying sociology really keeps your options wide open, and the skills you'll gain from studying the course are transferable to many career paths.

You can go into almost anything; finance and accounting, journalism, public relations, government organisations, social and policy research, human resource management and so much more! So you don't need to be worried about not getting a career after it all.

If you did choose to study at Bath in particular, there is also the opportunity to take a placement year as part of your degree. This not only gives you the chance to experience a year in a career field you may be thinking about pursuing, but this opportunity also makes you highly employable.

Studying Sociology at Bath really stood out for me because there are a vast range of optional units to choose from throughout your degree such as Social Concepts of Humans, Monsters and Machines and Sociology of Criminal Justice Policy. This means you can always study what you're really interested in. There is also a huge interdisciplinary approach to the course at Bath as there is the opportunity to study units from Languages, Psychology, Politics and Education.

Whilst studying at Bath there is also so much support provided from staff as you'll be assigned a personal tutor who will be there to help you out during your time at Bath, should you need it.

Having been a student in Bath before you'll probably already know it's a great city to study in with so much to do, but University of Bath itself is a brilliant university. It's a campus university so everything is located in one place, giving it a real community feel. There are regular club nights, events and sports fixtures going on at the campus so it's always a lively place to be!

Also there are so many societies (ranging from circus skills to student theatre), activities, arts programmes and sports clubs to get involved in that will really enhance your time at university and are a great way to meet like-minded people!

I hope I haven't overloaded you with information and that I've helped you.

Don't hesitate to quote me if you have any more questions.

Nicole.
University of Bath
Rep:
?
(Original post by Damonashlee)
Hey I'm a first year at uclan and I'm having a lot of difficulty with my first assignment... I don't know how to structure it and reference... Don't suppose you could help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I'll do my best! It's difficult to help with something like this, but I would say just try and structure your essay logically so that your argument flows well. This will make it both easier to write and easier for your lecturer to read! Introduce the topic at the start of the essay, and ensure that each paragraph of your argument links in some way to the previous one.

If you are really unsure of how to structure an essay, you should try and speak with either your unit convener, personal tutor or a similar academic who is able help you with this. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.

What referencing system are you using? My department at Bath uses the Harvard Referencing System and there's a really useful document on it that you can access here. However, you may want to check if this is suitable to use at your university as there are so many variations of this system - there is probably something similar from UCLan you can access.

Also, if you are using a new version of word (from 2007 onwards) it has a built in referencing system, so that may help you as well!

I hope this has helped, feel free to quote me if you have any other questions.

Good luck with the assignment!

Nicole.
tminty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi!

Yes, i'm currently doing Sociology at A Level and after visiting Bath yesterday and staying in accommodation with my boyfriend, i think i will make Bath my firm

(Original post by University Of Bath)
Hi!

That's great! Have you studied sociology before?

In the post above I've mentioned my plans for after I've finished my degree if you want to check them out there. But like I said before - studying sociology really keeps your options wide open, and the skills you'll gain from studying the course are transferable to many career paths.

You can go into almost anything; finance and accounting, journalism, public relations, government organisations, social and policy research, human resource management and so much more! So you don't need to be worried about not getting a career after it all.

If you did choose to study at Bath in particular, there is also the opportunity to take a placement year as part of your degree. This not only gives you the chance to experience a year in a career field you may be thinking about pursuing, but this opportunity also makes you highly employable.

Studying Sociology at Bath really stood out for me because there are a vast range of optional units to choose from throughout your degree such as Social Concepts of Humans, Monsters and Machines and Sociology of Criminal Justice Policy. This means you can always study what you're really interested in. There is also a huge interdisciplinary approach to the course at Bath as there is the opportunity to study units from Languages, Psychology, Politics and Education.

Whilst studying at Bath there is also so much support provided from staff as you'll be assigned a personal tutor who will be there to help you out during your time at Bath, should you need it.

Having been a student in Bath before you'll probably already know it's a great city to study in with so much to do, but University of Bath itself is a brilliant university. It's a campus university so everything is located in one place, giving it a real community feel. There are regular club nights, events and sports fixtures going on at the campus so it's always a lively place to be!

Also there are so many societies (ranging from circus skills to student theatre), activities, arts programmes and sports clubs to get involved in that will really enhance your time at university and are a great way to meet like-minded people!

I hope I haven't overloaded you with information and that I've helped you.

Don't hesitate to quote me if you have any more questions.

Nicole.
mrandmr.crane
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi! I've applied for Politics and IR with a placement year, but I have a few general questions about the uni before I visit

In terms of how much there is to do, how does Bath compare to bigger cities? Is it common for people to just get the train into Bristol for a day out? I'm sort of worried about the fact that i'm used to being in fairly large, busy cities.

I was also wondering how much of a diverse university Bath is - do you get lots of people from different countries, backgrounds, etc? (Sorry, this is kind of a stupid question )

Thanks! ^.^
University of Bath
Rep:
?
(Original post by mrandmr.crane)
Hi! I've applied for Politics and IR with a placement year, but I have a few general questions about the uni before I visit

In terms of how much there is to do, how does Bath compare to bigger cities? Is it common for people to just get the train into Bristol for a day out? I'm sort of worried about the fact that i'm used to being in fairly large, busy cities.

I was also wondering how much of a diverse university Bath is - do you get lots of people from different countries, backgrounds, etc? (Sorry, this is kind of a stupid question )

Thanks! ^.^
Hi,

Glad to hear that you've applied to Bath!

There's so much to do in Bath despite it not being a huge city. Bath itself is a UNESCO world heritage site meaning there is so many cultural and historic attractions to explore like the thermal spa, the galleries and Roman Baths.

If this isn't your thing there's a huge arts comedy and music scene in Bath. We have several music venues such as Moles and Komedia where there are regular gigs, and Komedia also holds regular comedy nights too that many famous comedians have actually performed at. As well as this there's multiple theatres, and a huge range of shops and boutiques!

Within the city there is always something going on, throughout the year there are several events such as festivals and markets all of which you can find out more about on The Bath Leap List.

People often forget that Bath is home to two universities, so there's a huge student population meaning there are loads of student events in the city such as the Student Lock-In. This also means there's a great nightlife scene with several bars and clubs holding regular student nights both on and off campus so there's definitely lots to do. Because of this people don't usually go to Bristol for days out because there's actually lot to do in Bath.

That's definitely not a stupid question! In terms of diversity, there are students from so many different countries and cultures, in fact 30% of our student population is international and they come from over 100 countries.

Because of this, we have so many different societies for students from different countries and cultural backgrounds which is just a small reflection of the diversity of the students at Bath if you want to take a look at that list.

I really hope I've helped and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck with the rest of the application process!

Nicole.
yogurtpot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Nicole,
I got an offer for Sociology, and Im so happy!! Are you doing the sandwich course? I still haven't made it my firm choise as I am still not sure about moving out, but I really like the uni. My choice is between City in London and Bath...

Posted from TSR Mobile
jodiepitfield
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Nicole,

I have an offer to study sociology at Bath and was just wondering what made you choose to go Bath and where else you applied as I am stuck choosing between Bath Durham and LSE :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Bath
Rep:
?
(Original post by yogurtpot)
Hi Nicole,
I got an offer for Sociology, and Im so happy!! Are you doing the sandwich course? I still haven't made it my firm choise as I am still not sure about moving out, but I really like the uni. My choice is between City in London and Bath...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

That's great! Congratulations on receiving an offer!

I am doing a sandwich course, however I changed onto it at the start of the year after realising I wanted to a do a placement. So if you haven't applied/received an offer for a sandwich course, don't worry - you can change onto it at any point during your degree.

I know moving away from home when you go to university can be pretty daunting, I was nervous about it at first too! I personally would recommend moving into halls, as moving away from home has really helped me become independent and get the most out of the university experience.

Don't forget that if you do choose to move away from home, it's likely you'll be living with other first years that will have done the same thing and will probably be as nervous as you! I can assure you than within halls of residence at Bath there's such a comfortable, welcoming, community feel that you'll rarely feel homesick.

Also, Bath is only an hour or so away from London by train so you'll easily be able to visit home if you want to.

In one of the posts above I've explained a little bit about how Bath compares to bigger cities like Bristol and London, if you want to check that out - there's still so much going on within the city, particularly for students, despite it being smaller.

I really hoped this has helped, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to quote me!

All the best with making the decision,

Nicole.
University of Bath
Rep:
?
(Original post by jodiepitfield)
Hi Nicole,

I have an offer to study sociology at Bath and was just wondering what made you choose to go Bath and where else you applied as I am stuck choosing between Bath Durham and LSE :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Congratulations on receiving an offer to study at Bath!

When I was choosing which university to choose as my firm choice I was also stuck between some amazing universities, so I know how difficult this choice can be! When I applied I also received offers from Warwick, Southampton, Oxford Brookes and Bournemouth.

One of the things that stuck out most about studying Sociology at Bath was the large amount of choice you have over the optional units you can study within your degree. This means that I get to study exactly what I'm interested in or tailor the units I study to suit my future career. It's worth having a look at the unit catalogue and seeing what optional units you might be interested in. Sociology at Bath is also very interdisciplinary, as I'm able to study units from Psychology, Politics and Languages which isn't offered at many other universities.

I also chose Bath because I really liked the feel of the campus. With most of the halls of residence and all the university facilities in one place it really feels like a little community. Also as it's a fairly new university, most of it is fairly modern and investments are still being made to improve the campus such as a new centre for the arts and hall of residence.

Another reason why I chose to come to Bath is because of the city. It's a beautiful city full of culture and has so much to explore. Despite not being as big as cities like London or Southampton it still has so many bars, clubs and shops for students and there is always something going on in the city, such as festivals, student lock-ins and the Christmas market. You can find out more the venues and events in Bath on the Bath Leap List.

It was a combination of all of these that made me choose to come to Bath, it sounds really cliché but I just fell in love with the university, so pick the one you think you'll be happiest at!

I hope this has all been helpful! If you have any more questions about Bath then don't hesitate to ask them here.

Best of luck with the decision and the rest of the process!

Nicole.
ksully
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I'm a second year student Sociology student at the University of Bath so feel free to quote me and ask me any questions about studying sociology at university, studying at Bath or just university life in general!

If you want to be really mean, you can even ask about my plans after university and where studying Sociology might take you.

I look forward to talking to you guys and hopefully I can help some of you out

Nicole.

Hi, im studying Social Science in Cardiff university.
For one of my essays I have to do a "sociological analysis of Christmas using one theory of research" The theory I have chosen to do is feminism. I was wondering whether you have an advice as to the structure of a sociological analysis essay or whether it is just the same as a normal essay.
Also i was wondering if i needed to include the sociological imagination in my essay.
The essay is for a "Key ideas in social science module" so im not sure whether you would have done this module or be able to help me.
Im really confused and my teachers wont give anymore guidance.
Thanks, Kate
University of Bath
Rep:
?
(Original post by ksully)

Hi, im studying Social Science in Cardiff university.
For one of my essays I have to do a "sociological analysis of Christmas using one theory of research" The theory I have chosen to do is feminism. I was wondering whether you have an advice as to the structure of a sociological analysis essay or whether it is just the same as a normal essay.
Also i was wondering if i needed to include the sociological imagination in my essay.
The essay is for a "Key ideas in social science module" so im not sure whether you would have done this module or be able to help me.
Im really confused and my teachers wont give anymore guidance.
Thanks, Kate
Hi Kate,

That sounds like a really interesting essay!

I personally would structure it in the same way as a normal essay, with a paragraph for each point you're making in a logical order that flows.

It's hard to say because I don't know what points you are making in the essay. I would say include it if you feel it is relevant to a specific point (for instance, looking at how Christmas may be responsible for a reproduction of gender roles). Or you could also include the sociological imagination somewhere in the essay if it has possibly provided a different perspective on how Christmas can be examined sociologically.

I don't think it would harm you to include it as long as it fits in the essay, especially if you can make use of a reference from the text by C. Wright Mills!

Hope this helps - if you have any more questions don't hesitate to quote me

Best of luck with your essay!

Nicole.
yogurtpot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

That's great! Congratulations on receiving an offer!

I am doing a sandwich course, however I changed onto it at the start of the year after realising I wanted to a do a placement. So if you haven't applied/received an offer for a sandwich course, don't worry - you can change onto it at any point during your degree.

I know moving away from home when you go to university can be pretty daunting, I was nervous about it at first too! I personally would recommend moving into halls, as moving away from home has really helped me become independent and get the most out of the university experience.

Don't forget that if you do choose to move away from home, it's likely you'll be living with other first years that will have done the same thing and will probably be as nervous as you! I can assure you than within halls of residence at Bath there's such a comfortable, welcoming, community feel that you'll rarely feel homesick.

Also, Bath is only an hour or so away from London by train so you'll easily be able to visit home if you want to.

In one of the posts above I've explained a little bit about how Bath compares to bigger cities like Bristol and London, if you want to check that out - there's still so much going on within the city, particularly for students, despite it being smaller.

I really hoped this has helped, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to quote me!

All the best with making the decision,

Nicole.
Thank you for the advice Nicole.
I decided to make Bath my firm choice and I'm now looking around at accommodation. So far Woodland court looks really good to me, but I would really appreciate to hear your opinion.
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by yogurtpot)
Thank you for the advice Nicole.
I decided to make Bath my firm choice and I'm now looking around at accommodation. So far Woodland court looks really good to me, but I would really appreciate to hear your opinion.
Hi there,

You're welcome! I'm happy to help and glad to hear you've decided to firm Bath!

I think Woodland Court is really nice accommodation, it is currently the most expensive and popular hall of residence at the university. It can often be over subscribed during the application process but don't let that put you off applying if you decide it's the one you want to live in.

Have you looked at any other accommodation? I lived in Norwood House last year and really enjoyed it there. It's located on top of the SU and in the centre of campus which made it really convenient for me. It has also been recently refurbished so for me it was really good value for money.

It may be considered the 'loudest' accommodation on campus as it is located above the SU where the club nights take place, however the noise wasn't a problem as the SU will ensure it remains at a reasonable volume and a 24/7 restriction is placed on noise during exam periods.

I would say, when considering which accommodation you would like to live in, remember to think about how it will fit into your budget and consider the size of the flats you might be placed in. (e.g. in Westwood you could be in a flat of up to 22 people, with multiple bathroom facilities and two large kitchens) I would also advise you to apply as soon as you can!

Also, a new accommodation block of en-suite bedrooms is currently being built on campus and I'm sure some information about it will be released before the applications open in April, so keep an eye out for that!

Here is the comparable list of all the on campus accommodation for you to see how they compare in terms of their price and standard.

Don't hesitate to quote me if you have any specific questions about a hall of residence and I will do my best to help you!

Good luck,

Nicole.
yogurtpot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

You're welcome! I'm happy to help and glad to hear you've decided to firm Bath!

I think Woodland Court is really nice accommodation, it is currently the most expensive and popular hall of residence at the university. It can often be over subscribed during the application process but don't let that put you off applying if you decide it's the one you want to live in.

Have you looked at any other accommodation? I lived in Norwood House last year and really enjoyed it there. It's located on top of the SU and in the centre of campus which made it really convenient for me. It has also been recently refurbished so for me it was really good value for money.

It may be considered the 'loudest' accommodation on campus as it is located above the SU where the club nights take place, however the noise wasn't a problem as the SU will ensure it remains at a reasonable volume and a 24/7 restriction is placed on noise during exam periods.

I would say, when considering which accommodation you would like to live in, remember to think about how it will fit into your budget and consider the size of the flats you might be placed in. (e.g. in Westwood you could be in a flat of up to 22 people, with multiple bathroom facilities and two large kitchens) I would also advise you to apply as soon as you can!

Also, a new accommodation block of en-suite bedrooms is currently being built on campus and I'm sure some information about it will be released before the applications open in April, so keep an eye out for that!

Here is the comparable list of all the on campus accommodation for you to see how they compare in terms of their price and standard.

Don't hesitate to quote me if you have any specific questions about a hall of residence and I will do my best to help you!

Good luck,

Nicole.
Thanks so much, this has been very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tminty)
Hi Nicole,

Thanks!!
That's like visiting Oxford Brookes and using it to gauge Oxford
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads