The Student Room Group

Classics Applicants 2014

I realise there may not be very many of us but probably a good idea to have a thread in here for future years to reference!

Basically, if you've applied to read Classics at university starting in 2014, post here - I've used a template you might want to use!

Application sent: 11th October
Universities applied to: Oxford (New College), Edinburgh, Durham, KCL, UCL
AS level grades: AAAAAAB [Latin, Greek, English, French, Politics, General Studies, Economics]
A2 predictions: A*A (already achieved: Greek, Latin); A*A*A*A* [English, French, Politics, General Studies]

I've had no offers yet so am getting more and more on edge about the whole thing - hopefully they'll start trickling in soon mind... did the CAT and submitted my written work yesterday for Ox so the waiting game just continues...
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Application sent: 27th September
Universities applied to: Oxford (St John's), Exeter, Durham, KCL, UCL (Ancient Languages)
AS level grades: AAAA [Latin, History, English Literature, Business Studies]
A2 predictions: A*A*A* [Latin, History, English Literature]

I've got one offer from KCL so far...
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey, just thought I'd post my stuff:

Application sent: 26th September
Universities: Oxford (Oriel), Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol, Glasgow
AS: AAAAAA (Class Civ, Latin, Eng Lang, Philosophy and Ethics, Psychology, General Studies)
A2 predictions: A*A*AA (Class Civ, Eng Lang, Philosophy and Ethics, Latin)

Had AAB offers from both Glasgow and Bristol (Edinburgh and Durham both reply late in January or something)

How did you two find the CAT test if you did it?
Hi! Nice to see another Classics applicant!

I thought the Latin part of the CAT was reasonable. There were a few vocab items I was uncertain about, but think I got most of the grammar right, and I definitely understood what was going on. I don't think my translation was particularly brilliant, but I don't think it was particularly bad either, so overall I'm fairly satisfied with that. How about you?
Yeah it seemed strangely straight forward :P the verse was one of the easier ones I've done and the prose was alright, a few vocab errors and wooly translations in parts but yeah nothing awful! I think its easier than other years, might mean more people at interview or less taken out of the running by the exam? Thats just a guess though :P
By my sums, there were about 315 applicants last year, of which 126 were ultimately successful (40%). Considering 96% were invited for interview last year, that means there were approximately 12 applicants (out of the 315) who were not invited for interview. So really that's only a very few who were outright rejected, compared to other courses. Does anyone know what weight Oxford place on the CAT (if any) post-interview?
Reply 6
Which bits specifically did people find tough on the CAT? I found the Latin part pretty straightforward, and the Greek part even more straightforward than that bar the last line of the Polyneices bit.

Apparently if you do badly on the CAT it's enough to break your application because the Oxford course is so language based.
Reply 7
Universities applied to: Oxford (University), Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham
AS level grades: Haven't done them yet (do them in U6th)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*AA (English, Latin, Extended Project, History, Physics)

Offers from Nottingham and Bristol so hopeful so far!
Reply 8
Universities applied to: Oxford (Brasenose), Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol, UCL
AS level grades: AAAAB
A2 predictions: A*AA
No offers, ah well, no rejections either.
Thought the verse went well (did Latin only) and the prose not so well. There were some weird bits of vocab which I made up and the majority of the paragraph was a tangled mess leading nowhere in particular. Hopefully will be outweighed by verse.
Has anyone who's sent work via e-mail received confirmation?
Application sent: 11th October
Universities applied to: Oxford (Magdalen), Exeter, Durham, St.Andrews, Nottingham
AS level grades: AAAAB [English Lit, Maths, Classical Civ, GS, French]
A2 predictions: A*A*A*AA [English Lit, Maths, GS, Classical Civ, French]

Offer from Nottingham so far :smile:
Might be worth mentioning I'm applying for Classics and English!
Original post by Jonjoe12
Thought I'd break the string of Oxfords with a Cambridge!

Application sent: 14th October
Universities applied to: Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Bristol and St Andrews
A2 Grades (achieved): A*A*A [Classical Civilisation, English Literature and History]

Offer from Bristol but no word from anywhere else as of yet.

Nice one! Be different! :smile: Are you on a gap year at the moment? Doing anything interesting?
Original post by J_asper
Universities applied to: Oxford (University), Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham
AS level grades: Haven't done them yet (do them in U6th)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*AA (English, Latin, Extended Project, History, Physics)

Offers from Nottingham and Bristol so hopeful so far!

Ahh cool so you're doing both AS and A2 exams in upper 6th? :P
Original post by spocklock

Has anyone who's sent work via e-mail received confirmation?

I'm not sure if they reply or not, I assume no news is good news, Oriel wanted mine posted and said they'd email me if it hadn't arrived by the deadline :L
Reply 13
CAT - I assume you realised one of the Greek texts was the current pre u set text?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied to: Cambridge (Queens'), Durham, Exeter, St Andrews and Warwick
AS: AAAAA (Latin, Clas Civ, French, Italian and History)
A2: (predicted)A*A*A* (Latin, Clas Civ and French) A* Italian (already achieved in Yr12)
No offers hahaa but got my interview at cambridge on the 10 decemeber, woop woop gonna fail
Original post by SeanPaulFan
Applied to: Cambridge (Queens'), Durham, Exeter, St Andrews and Warwick
AS: AAAAA (Latin, Clas Civ, French, Italian and History)
A2: (predicted)A*A*A* (Latin, Clas Civ and French) A* Italian (already achieved in Yr12)
No offers hahaa but got my interview at cambridge on the 10 decemeber, woop woop gonna fail

Congratulations on the interview. I'm sure you'll be fine! :wink:
Reply 16
Ah I really don't feel intellectual right now, you're all so intelligent. Congratulations everyone on all your offers, I got an ABB offer from Manchester for Classics a few days after applying :-) Glad there are some other Classics enthusiasts out there!
Original post by burnley
Ah I really don't feel intellectual right now, you're all so intelligent. Congratulations everyone on all your offers, I got an ABB offer from Manchester for Classics a few days after applying :-) Glad there are some other Classics enthusiasts out there!

haha there's a difference between getting good grades in exams and being intelligent :P
I received an AAB offer yesterday from UCL! Although I applied for the new Ancient Languages programme, rather than Classics as at my other four choices.
Original post by Darth_Newdar
I received an AAB offer yesterday from UCL! Although I applied for the new Ancient Languages programme, rather than Classics as at my other four choices.

It really annoyed me that they called it 'Ancient World' for non Greek or Latin candidates instead of Classics. I was probably reading too much into it but I felt it was as if we weren't good enough to study Classics. If Oxford and Cambridge still offer a Classics course for people without Greek or Latin, why can't UCL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending