season1209
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey!

I am going to be sending off my application on in a few days but am still unsure for the courses I should apply for at LSE. LSE has been my dream university since I was young.

Anyways, I am predicted A*A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History at A2. I would probably end up doing a post graduate as well but would like a career in banking/finance.

So far I am thinking of applying to the Maths and Economics course AND the Economics course. However, would it be better if i applied for an easier course in terms of their grade requirements? Such as Management OR Accounting and Finance. I mean, both Maths and Economics AND Economics are quite competitive. Would it be easier for me to get into if i apply to an AAB or AAA course instead of a A*AA course with A*A*A*A predictions?

If so, should i apply instead of the 2 courses I am already planning to apply for (Maths and Economics AND Economics) or should i apply to that course as a third option?

All replies are appreciated!
kaufman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
choose what you like!!!
Ur grades are awesome!

I applied for both economics course and econometrics and math economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it more important to you that you go to the LSE or that you study the course you want to? For me it would be still more galling to be in a position to see people trooping into the lecture halls for the classes I wanted to take but couldn't.

(Original post by season1209)
LSE has been my dream university since I was young.
Don't put this on your PS. It always and only seems either of phony or actually weird. What kind of little kid has a dream provider of tertiary education?
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LSE has been my dream university since I was young.
!
As above, dont put this in your PS. Unis arent too keen on these generic, cliché statements which so many people put in.

If youre going to say why you like LSE then be specific, perhaps talk about their courses etc, that'll be much more impressive.
season1209
Rep:
?
I'm obviously not going to be putting that on my personal statement haha. I wasn't asking for my personal statement. I was asking about the actual applying to more than one course at LSE. They are all related courses I am talking about too...

Maths and Econ, Econ, Accounting and Finance, Management. These are the 4 courses out of the whole university that appeal to me.

I wanted to ask if its worth applying to more than 2 courses for example and if so should i make it in a lower grade requirement? For example would it increase my chances that i have exceeded the requirements for the Management course which is AAB in getting in?

Any advice is appreciated.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey!

I am going to be sending off my application on in a few days but am still unsure for the courses I should apply for at LSE. LSE has been my dream university since I was young.

Anyways, I am predicted A*A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History at A2. I would probably end up doing a post graduate as well but would like a career in banking/finance.

So far I am thinking of applying to the Maths and Economics course AND the Economics course. However, would it be better if i applied for an easier course in terms of their grade requirements? Such as Management OR Accounting and Finance. I mean, both Maths and Economics AND Economics are quite competitive. Would it be easier for me to get into if i apply to an AAB or AAA course instead of a A*AA course with A*A*A*A predictions?

If so, should i apply instead of the 2 courses I am already planning to apply for (Maths and Economics AND Economics) or should i apply to that course as a third option?

All replies are appreciated!
You can only receive 1 offer from LSE.
season1209
Rep:
?
yeahh I knew that already but thanks.
arrowhead
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm obviously not going to be putting that on my personal statement haha. I wasn't asking for my personal statement. I was asking about the actual applying to more than one course at LSE. They are all related courses I am talking about too...

Maths and Econ, Econ, Accounting and Finance, Management. These are the 4 courses out of the whole university that appeal to me.

I wanted to ask if its worth applying to more than 2 courses for example and if so should i make it in a lower grade requirement? For example would it increase my chances that i have exceeded the requirements for the Management course which is AAB in getting in?

Any advice is appreciated.
Absolutely, DO NOT DO THIS!

I don't know if the same podcast is still available on the LSE website, but when I was applying, I heard a podcast on the website where a member of admissions was speaking to a bunch of students at an LSE Open Day.

He categorically told them NEVER to apply to the LSE for all 5 or 4 or 3 of their options, it's a terrible idea. "When a students does this," the admissions person said, and I quote "he/she comes across as desperate, and we don't like desperate students".

The LSE prefers students who are actually interested in the course they're applying for. You have to show then that you're committed to a course and actually interested in pursuing that course in order to get a place there.

If I find that podcast, I'll post it on here.
season1209
Rep:
?
(Original post by arrowhead)
Absolutely, DO NOT DO THIS!

I don't know if the same podcast is still available on the LSE website, but when I was applying, I heard a podcast on the website where a member of admissions was speaking to a bunch of students at an LSE Open Day.

He categorically told them NEVER to apply to the LSE for all 5 or 4 or 3 of their options, it's a terrible idea. "When a students does this," the admissions person said, and I quote "he/she comes across as desperate, and we don't like desperate students".

The LSE prefers students who are actually interested in the course they're applying for. You have to show then that you're committed to a course and actually interested in pursuing that course in order to get a place there.

If I find that podcast, I'll post it on here.
thanks for this! ok its set, ill apply for 2 courses then. Thinking Economics and Maths and Economics.

I just wanted to ask though, Is it easier to get into the course with lower grade requirements, like AAA or AAB in comparison to A*AA when you have predicted grades of A*A*A*A??
arrowhead
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thanks for this! ok its set, ill apply for 2 courses then. Thinking Economics and Maths and Economics.

I just wanted to ask though, Is it easier to get into the course with lower grade requirements, like AAA or AAB in comparison to A*AA when you have predicted grades of A*A*A*A??
Each applicant is different when it comes to different courses. Your PS and reference play a huge role in this alongside your AS grades and GCSEs.
season1209
Rep:
?
so over exceeding the grade requirements for a course doesn't make much of a difference?
arrowhead
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so over exceeding the grade requirements for a course doesn't make much of a difference?
Not really. You can't think it's a rarity that students over-exceed the grade requirements. There were people on my course who had like 6 A*s in their A2s, I knew a girl a year below me with 7A*s and 2As in her A2s.

One of the student's whose personal statement I helped with this cycle has already gotten an LSE offer and she had 43/45 in the IB with an additional 14 IB points for extra certificates and a Grade 5 in an AP (American) class, rounding her out to over 1,000 UCAS points.

Trust me, if you want to stand out as special, it's not going to happen. What you can easily do with your grades is stand out as someone competent; deserving of a spot because of your excellent grades, PS and reference.
season1209
Rep:
?
(Original post by arrowhead)
Not really. You can't think it's a rarity that students over-exceed the grade requirements. There were people on my course who had like 6 A*s in their A2s, I knew a girl a year below me with 7A*s and 2As in her A2s.

One of the student's whose personal statement I helped with this cycle has already gotten an LSE offer and she had 43/45 in the IB with an additional 14 IB points for extra certificates and a Grade 5 in an AP (American) class, rounding her out to over 1,000 UCAS points.

Trust me, if you want to stand out as special, it's not going to happen. What you can easily do with your grades is stand out as someone competent; deserving of a spot because of your excellent grades, PS and reference.

thanks a lot for the help! I just hope my personal statement is going to be good enough :/
express01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thanks a lot for the help! I just hope my personal statement is going to be good enough :/
Hi season1209
Reopening your post ;-)
I have applied for both courses same as you did....how did it end?
I have just been rejected for Economics and Maths at LSE, now waiting for Economics.
Do you reckon they will always only consider you for only one of the courses you have applied for?
Did you get offers for both courses? Or you got rejection for one, and when in the process did it happen?
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.23%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.78%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.32%
No - I live at home during term anyway (111)
29.37%

Watched Threads