Are you a Welsh speaker at Bangor?

Watch
(Tom)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Quick question:

I'm a trustee at Bangor Uni Student Union. At the moment the union gets all its facebook updates and tweets translated into Welsh by the university language center. This means the language comes out very correct and often quite formal sounding. An alternative would be to ask native Welsh speakers at the Union to translate into Welsh that they would use to talk to their friends (so less formal).

Which do you think is the better option?
FoxWolf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Honestly, as a Welsh speaker myself, I'd prefer the latter. The University translation just uses words I've never even heard of, as if they've really just google translated everything -.-
(Tom)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by FoxWolf)
Honestly, as a Welsh speaker myself, I'd prefer the latter. The University translation just uses words I've never even heard of, as if they've really just google translated everything -.-
Thanks Foxwolf - anyone else agree/disagree?
melwyn94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Keep it as it is. What's the problem with it being 'very correct and formal sounding'? That's how the English comes out isn't it? Why drop the standards of the Welsh language? That sounds very absurd to me, and additionally, there is no guarantee that you will get a correct, 'less formal' version from Welsh speakers at the Union. I am studying Welsh first language, and I know that there is much need for formality in the Welsh language otherwise it will suffer more than it is already.
Nionnyn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree - keep it as it is. It's understandable, so it's fine as it is. And as the post above says, if you change it to be more informal, it's going to lower the standard, and give the English a higher status than the Welsh.
wrexhamfc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not at Bangor, but most native Welsh speakers are very colloquial with lots of "Wenglish". Without having seen how formal these updates/tweets are, I'd say there's nowt wrong with a bit of formality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (276)
34.07%
No (534)
65.93%

Watched Threads