The Student Room Group

Will these A levels be too much work?

I went to my A level options evening last night and after talking to all the teachers I would really like to do English Literature, History, Geography and Psychology (I do them all at GCSE except for Psychology). However, I'm worried that doing all four of these will be too hard and affect my grades for when I apply to university in the future. I'm thinking about doing either a Law or Psychology degree at one of the "top" universities like Nottingham or Sheffield, etc. But will I be able to handle the workload? (I will probably drop one at AS, so 4 AS levels and 3 A2's, but I have no idea what I'll drop. Maybe Geography?) I've been told that I'd be better off doing a "soft" subject for my extra AS, but all my teachers think I'm capable of doing four. I was thinking of doing Sociology instead of Psychology because of the maths maybe making it too difficult for me, but I'm not sure. So help? Haha. :P
Reply 1
Original post by Lucy-marie97
I went to my A level options evening last night and after talking to all the teachers I would really like to do English Literature, History, Geography and Psychology (I do them all at GCSE except for Psychology). However, I'm worried that doing all four of these will be too hard and affect my grades for when I apply to university in the future. I'm thinking about doing either a Law or Psychology degree at one of the "top" universities like Nottingham or Sheffield, etc. But will I be able to handle the workload? (I will probably drop one at AS, so 4 AS levels and 3 A2's, but I have no idea what I'll drop. Maybe Geography?) I've been told that I'd be better off doing a "soft" subject for my extra AS, but all my teachers think I'm capable of doing four. I was thinking of doing Sociology instead of Psychology because of the maths maybe making it too difficult for me, but I'm not sure. So help? Haha. :P

I'm not sure if there is any maths in psychology? At least there wasn't in my course at least.

If you think you are up to it then go for it. Think about what subject you plan to drop towards the end of your AS year as you will know better then what your favourite subjects are.
Reply 2
Yes if you work consistently overtime
Reply 3
Original post by breakeven
I'm not sure if there is any maths in psychology? At least there wasn't in my course at least.

If you think you are up to it then go for it. Think about what subject you plan to drop towards the end of your AS year as you will know better then what your favourite subjects are.

I think maybe one board you have to do something about χ2 test. I remember one of my friends saying about it but they didn't actually have to calculate anything.

well tbh most uni's (top) only make offers based on 3-A levels anyway.

So do 4 at AS and if you feel pressured, then carry on with only 3 for A2.

Essay subjects are generally easy for ppl 2 score high marks on if you have the right exam technique and good essay skill.

It shouldn't be too hard tbh, alot of people I know have done it. There is quite abit of reading/memorizing involved in psychology though so be prepared to put in the hours before exams :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'm in the same position as you. I've chosen Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and English Lit&Lang. The workload does worry me a bit, but I do strongly believe that if you put your and down and work hard, then you will be able to succeed :smile:
Reply 6

hi :smile: I do English language and literature, geography and history and honestly as long as you are prepared to do a lot of writing you'll be fine!:smile: I really enjoy all of my subjects although you may struggle come exam time to memorise all the facts for history and all the case studies for psychology and geog! If you enjoy those subjects then do them, even when you start year 12 you can always change your subjects.
No.
Reply 8
I did Geography, Psychology, History and English lit for AS and dropped History at A2, which i was kinda annoyed about but had to drop it due to grades.
The workload isnt hard to manage at all for me as they're really interesting subjects, so you should be fine!
Reply 9
Thank you everyone! :smile: I think I'm going to take them all.
Reply 10
honestly theres hardly any maths in psychology, the essays and learning all the studies were what made it difficult for me personally x
if you work for it then not really

You should be fine doing 4 AS levels.
Your teachers obviously think you are capable of doing 4- otherwise they wouldnt have told you that. As long as you work hard, you should get good grades. I wouldnt worry about psychology- from what ive heard there isnt really any maths in psychology, so you will be fine. And if you are wanting to do psychology at uni, then id definitely do it at a-level. With regards to dropping a subject at the end of AS- i wouldnt worry about it now- you have plenty of time before you have to make that decision. You only have to make that decision at the end of AS, once you know which of the subjects you are weakest in and depending on what grades you get.
Original post by alow
I think maybe one board you have to do something about χ2 test. I remember one of my friends saying about it but they didn't actually have to calculate anything.

Do you mean the chi squared test? All we had to know was what it was used for and the strengths and weaknesses which was really easy :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by breakeven
Do you mean the chi squared test? All we had to know was what it was used for and the strengths and weaknesses which was really easy :smile:

The symbol that looks like an x is the Greek letter chi, χ. Yeah I didn't think there was any maths involved with it.
Reply 15
Thanks everyone. :biggrin: I'm only wondering about the maths because the psychology teacher at my school said I wouldn't get in without a B grade at GCSE maths (I currently have a C grade and am resitting in June for a B... Maths is a really bad subject for me though!) She also said the maths would be difficult statistical stuff. She then said that apparently if I do a psychology degree, it would be equal to half a maths degree. This kind of turned me off because that's not what I thought psychology would be at all! However when I talked to one of the teacher's AS students, she said that they hadn't even done any maths yet. So I'm confused about it. The exam board will be AQA, I think. :smile:
Reply 16
Bump.

Quick Reply

Latest