The Student Room Group

can someone recommend me a book to get for java?

hi,

i am currently studying computer science in uni, and i'm struggling a bit with java.

Can someone please recommend me a book to get on java. I have a basic understanding of java.

thanks!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
anyone?
Original post by mabz123
anyone?

I can recommend that you don't get Java Concepts or Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours if that helps...
Reply 4
Amazon is an awesome place to search for books; their review system is based on their products, rather than the seller's performance (well, it is supposed to be. The majority of users understand this concept, however some do not. Meaning some products may get considerable less rating thus overlooking the product entirely due to some incompetent twit rating the seller as opposed to the product).

Try all sorts of terms you can think of - "java for beginners", "java novice", "java"... I recommend you understand the differences between Java, JavaScript and JQuery, just so you don't get confused when purchasing a Java related book. Anyway, by trying all those search terms and reading all the product descriptions and various reviews made by people who have already read the book, you can decide which one you think would be most suitable!

Good luck!
Reply 5
Try Introduction to Java Programming By Y. Daniel Liang you can find pdf easily online..
Reply 6
Original post by mabz123
hi,

i am currently studying computer science in uni, and i'm struggling a bit with java.

Can someone please recommend me a book to get on java. I have a basic understanding of java.

thanks!

Java in two semesters by Quentin Charatan

This book starts from the grounds up, Explains concepts and then gives you code to demonstrate this in practice!
java for dummies is a good place to start
Reply 9
programming using java by EDWARD CURRIE....really good book we use it for first year.
Reply 10
Thank you all for your contribution!
Check out “Java 8, full reference” by Herbert Schildt. Or if you are experienced enough, you can try “The Java programming language” by James Gosling and co.

Also, take a look at “Effective Java” by Joshua Bloch. May be a little bit oldy, but still goldy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending