The Student Room Group

A level exams ...

sorry dont know if this is in a right forum or not, but I have a question. If I miss my end of year A level exams due to a medical reason. By medical reason I mean an big operation a few weeks before the exam. What will happen after i miss the exam if I do? Do i retake it next year? or does my mock exam or target grade go through?
is it just one exam?
if so, you'd get the results for the exams you did take on results day, 14th august 2014
but for the exam you missed, you just wouldn't get a result for it.

if you're missing all your exams,
you wouldn't get any results
so you'd have to resit the year
Reply 2
Original post by pureandmodest
is it just one exam?
if so, you'd get the results for the exams you did take on results day, 14th august 2014
but for the exam you missed, you just wouldn't get a result for it.

if you're missing all your exams,
you wouldn't get any results
so you'd have to resit the year

I dont know really, tbh my situation is complicated... I am doing 4 a levels in maths, business, applied science and religious studies.

Maths and business are scheduled quite later compared to applied science and religious studies. Here's the thing, I dont mind what I get in applied science or religious studies but maths and business are my 2 important subjects. So if my operation is all done before the exams and i can make it for the last 2 I would be happy but i am wondering if I cant, isnt it like my working at grade or something would count? apologies if I am asking a stupid question :colondollar:
yeah but remember you need recovery time from your operation and time to revise...
you don't want to do the exams if you're just going to fail them..

honestly my advice would be that,
if you don't think you're going to be doing any exams this year then why waste the year?
do something productive you know?
likeee. get a job for a bit; save up for uni! etc

but obviously, if you are sitting exams then revise for them
Reply 4
I swear I've read somewhere that they can give you a grade if you complete some exams but not all due to medical reasons though I'm not sure if the same can be said for missing all exams. Have a look on the exam board website as such information should be on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Paralove
I swear I've read somewhere that they can give you a grade if you complete some exams but not all due to medical reasons though I'm not sure if the same can be said for missing all exams. Have a look on the exam board website as such information should be on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do mock exams even count as anything though? and thanks I will
Reply 6
yeah but remember you need recovery time from your operation and time to revise...
you don't want to do the exams if you're just going to fail them..

honestly my advice would be that,
if you don't think you're going to be doing any exams this year then why waste the year?
do something productive you know?
likeee. get a job for a bit; save up for uni! etc

but obviously, if you are sitting exams then revise for them

trouble is i dont know if I will sit them or not, regardless I will revise for the 2 as I need but the other 2 I dont really mind as I have done my coursework for both of my as already well nearly finished
Original post by Khanager

no...
the mock exams are to help you access yourself
nothing else

No they just give you a rough idea of where you're at and what to improve.
Reply 9
no...
the mock exams are to help you access yourself
nothing else

ah alright thanks for your reply
Reply 10
Original post by Guren
No they just give you a rough idea of where you're at and what to improve.

AS level grades determine your a2 grades though, which unis see.
Reply 12
Original post by Guren
AS level grades determine your a2 grades though, which unis see.

with that being said its important I attend my 2 main as exams yes?

If you miss your exams for a VERY good reason (e.g. having an emergency operation on that day) then they may accept your mock exam result as your final result. Therefore, make sure you actually do some work for your mocks!
However, this really is only in EXTREMELY extenuating circumstances. In your situation, you would be expected to sit the exams (even if from hospital) and submit evidence from your doctor saying that you were very ill - they may give you a few more marks in the exam to try to compensate for this. However, they really are a FEW marks, so if it is at all possible I would recommend trying to delay your op for a month (until after the exams) or dropping out of the exams now (particularly if your learning is being affected by your illness now) - don't worry, unis will take into consideration your illness if you are worried about what taking a third year of A levels would look like to them.
Alternatively, sit your exams and submit an extenuating circumstances form with your uni application - although your results will probably not be the best you could achieve, they are more likely to give you a conditional offer and believe your (presumably significantly higher) predicted grades.
Reply 14
Original post by dragonkeeper999
If you miss your exams for a VERY good reason (e.g. having an emergency operation on that day) then they may accept your mock exam result as your final result. Therefore, make sure you actually do some work for your mocks!
However, this really is only in EXTREMELY extenuating circumstances. In your situation, you would be expected to sit the exams (even if from hospital) and submit evidence from your doctor saying that you were very ill - they may give you a few more marks in the exam to try to compensate for this. However, they really are a FEW marks, so if it is at all possible I would recommend trying to delay your op for a month (until after the exams) or dropping out of the exams now (particularly if your learning is being affected by your illness now) - don't worry, unis will take into consideration your illness if you are worried about what taking a third year of A levels would look like to them.
Alternatively, sit your exams and submit an extenuating circumstances form with your uni application - although your results will probably not be the best you could achieve, they are more likely to give you a conditional offer and believe your (presumably significantly higher) predicted grades.

Thanks for your reply mate, the problem is according to my hospital doctors they say I can't sit on a chair properly I may be on bed for a few weeks or months depending on how good my back is and my recovery. I was also wondering if It was possible that my working at grade or mock exam counts as I remember these used to count back when I was doing GCSE's Ah well hope for the best
Thanks for your reply mate, the problem is according to my hospital doctors they say I can't sit on a chair properly I may be on bed for a few weeks or months depending on how good my back is and my recovery. I was also wondering if It was possible that my working at grade or mock exam counts as I remember these used to count back when I was doing GCSE's Ah well hope for the best

Then definitely try to postpone the op if possible - just for a few weeks until after your exams.
If you know way in advance that you will struggle to sit the exams, I am not sure whether you would get the extra consideration/ they would use your mock grade - they do if it is an unforeseen emergency but I don't know about your situation...
It would probably be a very good idea to phone the exam board up to ask how their special consideration policy works as well as discussing with your school and doctors about how much you are likely to be affected by the op.
Reply 16

Go and see your exams officer, explain what is likely to happen and they can tell you what your options are.
It should even be possible to take your exams in hospital if necessary.
Since the operation does not seem to be urgent, does it have to be scheduled immediately before your exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by gdunne42
Go and see your exams officer, explain what is likely to happen and they can tell you what your options are.
It should even be possible to take your exams in hospital if necessary.
Since the operation does not seem to be urgent, does it have to be scheduled immediately before your exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys I will consider contacting the exams officer, that's probably the best thing to do in these circumstances. Thank you for your replies :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Then definitely try to postpone the op if possible - just for a few weeks until after your exams.
If you know way in advance that you will struggle to sit the exams, I am not sure whether you would get the extra consideration/ they would use your mock grade - they do if it is an unforeseen emergency but I don't know about your situation...
It would probably be a very good idea to phone the exam board up to ask how their special consideration policy works as well as discussing with your school and doctors about how much you are likely to be affected by the op.

Thanks guys I will consider contacting the exams officer, that's probably the best thing to do in these circumstances. Thank you for your replies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest