Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Was set these calculation questions for chemistry and not sure how to go about working them out. If anyone could give me any advice without the answer it would be much appreciated

What volume of 2M HCl would be required to neutralise 20cm3 of 0.5M sodium hydroxide.

45cm3 of 0.2M sodium hydroxide just reacts with 10cm3 of 0.3M phosphoric acid. Use this data to show that the formula of phosphoric acid is H3PO4

ReputationRep:
    H+ + OH- <=> H2O
    What do you get when you put sodium hydroxide in water, and HCl in water etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply
    need help with the actual calculations though like what equations should I use?

ReputationRep:
    Give me 5 minutes, I think I know how to do the first one

ReputationRep:
    So the reaction equation is HCl + NaOH -----> NaCl + H2O

What volume of 2M HCl would be required to neutralise 20cm3 of 0.5M sodium hydroxide.

First, find the number of moles of sodium hydroxide (in dm3)
    There are 1000cm3 in 1 dm3
    So, 20cm3= 20/1000dm3
    = 0.02dm3

No. of moles= conc* voulme
    No. of moles= 0.5*o.o2
    No. of moles = 0.01

According to the equation, if there are 0.01 moles of sodium hydroxide, there must also be 0.01 moles of HCl

Volume= no. of moles/concentration
    Volume= 0.01/2
    Volume= 0.005 dm3
    So, in cm3, the volume will be 0.005*1000
    So, the volume of HCl needed is 5cm3

ReputationRep:
    With the first one you calculate the number of moles of NaOH first
    You know that for neutralisation to occur, the moles of the acid and base must be equal (since they are monoprotic and monibasic) so the moles of acid required must be the same
    And then rearrange the volume x concentration = moles to find the volume (as you are given concentration and have just worked out moles)

For the second one you just calculate the number of moles of phosphoric acid and NaOH
    You will find that there are 3 times LESS moles of phosphoric acid
    This means phosphoric acid must be able to donate 3 protons (have 3 hydrogen atoms)
    This gives you the H3 bit and since PO4 gives a 3- charge then it must be H3PO4

I think this is right but I haven't used any resources and did it fairly quickly so don't take my word for it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 9, 2013

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.