Euthyphro dilemma: Does God command things because they are intrinsically good or....

Watch
Henry_Tudor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Augustinian is more inline with the Genesis accounts I feel Ireanaean's soul making theodicy and it makes Jesus less of the savoir that he is.
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Henry_Tudor)
Augustinian is more inline with the Genesis accounts I feel Ireanaean's soul making theodicy and it makes Jesus less of the savoir that he is.
I see. That would actually be another reason I prefer the Irenaean Theodicy as it removes the need for Jesus as a saviour dying for our sins. The whole process of 'dying for our sins' is something I find difficult to understand or rationalise.
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Epicurean)
I see. That would actually be another reason I prefer the Irenaean Theodicy as it removes the need for Jesus as a saviour dying for our sins. The whole process of 'dying for our sins' is something I find difficult to understand or rationalise.
It does seem odd at first, but if you try and go a whole 24hrs with out doing/thinking/saying something bad then you will realise tha's it's nearly impossible, and if you believe the claims of JC that he was truely who he said he was then you do need someone to take the burden of sin off you. But what puzzles me is why does the Father love humanity so much after we rebelled against him that he felt he needed to send his son to died for us?
Starrstruck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It does seem strange that God would want people to suffer from other peoples wrong doings thus questioning his all-goodness however some people say that we are born sinners because of Adam & Eve. But the Augustine Theodicy is not totally water tight.

See here for Theodcies and Critiques.
http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafav...s_tutor2u.html
That's true, I've studies both the theodicy and the Euthyphro dilemma last year and there are plenty of arguments against them. Do you study philosophy?
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Starrstruck)
That's true, I've studies both the theodicy and the Euthyphro dilemma last year and there are plenty of arguments against them. Do you study philosophy?

No but I did AS RS which was composed of Ethics & Philosophy of Religion, but sadly I dropped it for A2, what about you?
Starrstruck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No but I did AS RS which was composed of Ethics & Philosophy of Religion, but sadly I dropped it for A2, what about you?
How come you dropped it? Yes I'm doing A2 now and I've also applied for French & Philosophy at uni.
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
Nice!!

I dropped it because I got AABB in AS and it was my lowest B out of RS and History. Also History is 40% coursework this year so I knew I could bank some marks and not let it come down to big exams in the end. Also History is taught much better than RS at my school.

But I am still interested in Philosophy and Ethics.
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
I know this is an old thread but take a look at this video with William Lane Craig talking about the Euthyphro dilemma and this third option!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgGB4Oxs5VU
Sylosis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes I was about to say just as the above poster has said. It is no longer as dilemma once the third option is available.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.94%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
11.06%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.34%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.08%

Watched Threads