ADementedPoop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I think drugs should be legal. Not safe drugs, EVERY SINGLE DRUG apart from drugs that are proven to cause massive violence in its users (pcp, bath salts etc.). That's right, every THC releasing crystalied methamphetamine containing smokable drinkable injectable injestible snortable pill drink powder and injection. If it only harms you, it's ok. The government should not control its citizens health. Discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I posted this in another thread.

I just don't see a negative to legalisation of all drugs. Obviously I would still have restrictions for certain drugs, but the amount of crime it would cut, jobs it would create, better research in to drugs, their long term affects and treating addicts as health patients not criminals could only be good.

With regard to public places, I would have councils licence drug venues (clubs, cafes, shops etc) and have the ability to declare public areas of their choice drug free zones. Possession within these zones would be legal, however consumption of and disorderly use of drugs would still a civil offence and would carry an on the spot fine.

Venues with no drugs licence will have the right to eject any persons using or acting disorderly in their venue.

Most of this I'd put in place to give councils the ability to stop people congregating en masse and toking in public. I don't think that's a fair thing to put on non-smokers.

Of course, I can't make blanket rules for everything and as such a carefully considered legislation would have to be made. I think a common sense policy would work.

Ultimately the goal would be to rid the UK of heroin. By putting heroin on the NHS, you would destroy the market and you could get the addicts off it without criminalizing them.

People that want to try drugs will do them. People that want to continue to do so, will do so. Prohibition simply doesn't work. We have history proving this. We have other countries with successful legalisation. Drugs in the UK have been at a status quo for years now, why not try something different.

Oh, and finally, I'd tax this **** out of them. The production of drugs on a large scale would be so cheap compared to the illegal operations that you could easily keep the prices at current street level and make an absolute fortune.
IllmaticDragon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People just buy em anyway. May as well have them buy from you.

Disagree about crokodyl (or whtvr its called). Every other drug im fine with

Posted from TSR Mobile
staticas
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Weirdly I agree with this. If you want to ruin your life, GO AHEAD. The government shouldn't help you.
China have a population issue and made the one-child policy, instead - just legalise drugs.
The world will eventually be full of only geniuses who know not to go near drugs..
plus it would be pretty cool to see grams of coke next to the cereal in Tescos.
Instead of the horse meat scandal there'd be supermarkets using salt rather than coke.
ADementedPoop
Rep:
?
It would also give people much purer drugs with less unknowns. Also it would mean we wouldn't need to buy opium from Afghanistan and other unstable regions for opiate medicines. I wouldn't vouch for coke next to coco pops, it'd be a behind the counter or in a pharmacy counter thing, there would be age limits and taxes but when you think about it most of the problems caused by drugs are caused by the illegality, money and 'extra ingredients' of the drugs.

Theft for stuff like meth and heroin would go down as competition for the drug would go up driving the prices down.

There would be no punishment of the user either, this is the thing that gets me most, if they choose to do it recreationally it's their choice, if they are a 'victim of the drug' then they won't be sent to a building filled with violent criminals to somehow 'help' them

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IllmaticDragon)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoever made that drug should be imprisoned for crimes against humanity. It's disgusting.
ansermyquestion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For me I can put aside most of the legalization arguments about what is effective and better. I think the act of government making drugs illegal is wrong, whether it is effective or not. I want the freedom to do to myself whatever I want.

(Original post by IllmaticDragon)

(Original post by mikeyd85)
Whoever made that drug should be imprisoned for crimes against humanity. It's disgusting.
I would take an educated guess that if drugs were legal then krokodil would not exist and would not have come around in the first place

(Original post by ADementedPoop)
Theft for stuff like meth and heroin would go down as competition for the drug would go up driving the prices down.
Is meth even a problem in the UK? It seems pretty non existent
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm stoned right now incidentally,.

But aside from recreational perks, it has been of enormous medicinal and therapeutic benefit to me. It has so many positive applications, I honestly forget this little dried up bud is illegal... Because it doesn't feel like it should be branded illicit in the first place.

Especially considering the hings I could walk out of a pharmacy with which far surpass it in terms of how it could intoxicate or endanger you. My dad had a codeine addiction. I was prescribed it legitimately for pain, but it put me in hospital with an intestinal bleed and made me throw up.

I have withdrawn from cigarettes and alcohol since I began toking I have experimented with MDMA once or twice but it would never be a habitual thing. There are some drugs I'd never touch but should I or anyone else want to try something in the privacy of their own home (or not causing anyone any harm) should we be criminalised?

I attended my first race recently. Interestingly there were security monitoring he place and checking bags etc However people were allowed to openly take drugs such as MDMA, LSD and smoke inside. But the environment was controlled and everyone was kept safe. No one in attendance needed to get arrested did they?

If you are failing to function in society or the dug of choice is exceptionally hazardous to the human body, then drug use itself should be dealt with as a healthcare issue rather than a criminal justice issue. Suppliers should become vetted and licensed to improve consumer safety in terms of product and having secure designated areas in which to participate in drug use.

I'm looking forward to going back to Amsterdam, where I only have find memories of relaxed, classy coffeeshops, polite friendly locals and hardly a sign of loud drunks.
Kaiser MacCleg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think drugs should be legal.
Agree.

The government should not control its citizens health.
Disagree. If my taxes go on sorting out someone else's drug problem through the NHS, then the NHS, and by extension, the DoH, should have a say in how that person lives their life. Simple as.

There seems to be this perception amongst politicians and the general populace that legalisation of drugs would necessarily mean drugs available over just about any shop counter. This is incorrect. There is nothing to prevent the legal distribution of drugs being heavily controlled by the state and the NHS.

I'm in favour of full legalisation of most drugs. Some, like cannabis, I don't have any problem with being made freely available. Half the country's smoking itself to death and the other half is drinking itself to oblivion, so if someone fancies a bit of pot, I don't see what the problem is. The more harmful drugs, like heroin, I'd make available to addicts on prescription (with no charge - England needs to get a move on in making prescriptions free anyway). That way, the NHS knows who is taking what and how much they're consuming. They know who needs help and can target support schemes accordingly. From the point of view of the addicts, they're not criminalised for their addiction, they can be sure that the stuff they're ingesting is of a good standard, they get their drugs for free and they're not forced to turn to other illegal activities to fund their habit. If they want to shake their habit, support is available. The only downside is that your doctor knows what you're up to.

Basically, I want the state to be our drug dealer. Drag the whole industry into the light and put the the ****ers who make a living off others' misery out of business.
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not safe drugs
'safe drugs'... what ones were these again?

There are more people in recovery for codeine addiction than heroin addiction. I don't think you understand what you mean by, 'safe drugs'.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by staticas)
Weirdly I agree with this. If you want to ruin your life, GO AHEAD. The government shouldn't help you.
China have a population issue and made the one-child policy, instead - just legalise drugs.
The world will eventually be full of only geniuses who know not to go near drugs..
plus it would be pretty cool to see grams of coke next to the cereal in Tescos.
Instead of the horse meat scandal there'd be supermarkets using salt rather than coke.
LOL brilliant!

I agree with this post! Legalize it! everybody should profit not just "criminals"
ADementedPoop
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
Agree.

Disagree. If my taxes go on sorting out someone else's drug problem through the NHS, then the NHS, and by extension, the DoH, should have a say in how that person lives their life. Simple as.
I don't agree that the nhs has any more say unless it's optional, everybody has to pay into the nhs so everybody should get the treatment it provides no matter what. And besides, if you tax it according to what the nhs needs from those drugs then people will pay more into the scheme than if they didn't use. And if they tax it like they have done for tobacco (the level of taxing there is extreme and I don't agree with it btw) then the government makes a profit
ADementedPoop
Rep:
?
(Original post by ansermyquestion)
Is meth even a problem in the UK? It seems pretty non existent
It isn't, I was talking more generally about the problems caused by drugs being the fault of legality money and the added products.
ADementedPoop
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scoobster)
'safe drugs'... what ones were these again?
In hindsight it was a pretty bad word to use. I meant soft drugs like cannabis that are really safe but obviously our government has a very strange attitude to which drugs are and aren't illegal.

I guess what I was trying to get across to people was that it wasn't just weed I had in mind, which many people think is what you mean when you say legalise drugs.
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In hindsight it was a pretty bad word to use. I meant soft drugs like cannabis that are really safe but obviously our government has a very strange attitude to which drugs are and aren't illegal.

I guess what I was trying to get across to people was that it wasn't just weed I had in mind, which many people think is what you mean when you say legalise drugs.
So what drugs do you wish to leaglise?
ADementedPoop
Rep:
?
So what drugs do you wish to leaglise?
Every drug that doesn't cause excessive violence in the people using them. Stuff like pcp and bathsalts would be banned, pcp makes a significant amount of people murderous and cannibalistic and so do bath salts. The point is it isn't the governments choice to choose what we put in our bodies if it will only harm ourselves.
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Every drug that doesn't cause excessive violence in the people using them. Stuff like pcp and bathsalts would be banned, pcp makes a significant amount of people murderous and cannibalistic and so do bath salts. The point is it isn't the governments choice to choose what we put in our bodies if it will only harm ourselves.
I still fail to see what drugs you would legalise. All drugs will lead to crime, which leads to death, some way or another.
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I still fail to see what drugs you would legalise. All drugs will lead to crime, which leads to death, some way or another.
Because they're illegal... Are you a Puritan?
ADementedPoop
Rep:
?
What causes people to lead to crime on drugs... Well let's see. First off there's stealing things to pay for the habit. But if drugs were legal then they would become more affordable because of competition even with taxes. There is a lot of crime caused by simply doing drugs but that's from... The drug being illegal. What about excessive violence like with pcp and bath salts, well they would still be banned. When they are legal more places in prison that contained addicts would be open for real criminals, less money would be spent on imprisoning them, less theft for the drugs, drug dealers who want to keep them addicted and don't care about the addicted would be forced out of buisness and replaced by a regulated system that is taxed. There would be pure drugs and guidelines on how much to take and safe amounts to take.

What's your argument against legalising
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Moosferatu)
Because they're illegal... Are you a Puritan?
No. Alcohol's not an illegal drug, and it leads to crime. Hence my original viewpoint.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
23.02%
Less motivated (107)
76.98%

Watched Threads