The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desdemonata
What!? I got 3 packs of 3 big chicken breasts for £10. And that's from a Booths, hardly one of the cheaper supermarkets. Why on Earth go to a butchers?!

Excellent quality free range meat. Also prefer to support a local independent shop really.
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
Excellent quality free range meat. Also prefer to support a local independent shop really.

Yes but you spend in a day more than I do in a week. That's a pretty extravagant spending on food 99% of people couldn't afford :s-smilie:
Original post by desdemonata
Yes but you spend in a day more than I do in a week. That's a pretty extravagant spending on food 99% of people couldn't afford :s-smilie:

Well I work hard to afford nice things. :confused:
hell yeh £3 for 6 cans of baked beans that's a steal, only 50p a can. I guess I will be doing next weeks shopping tomorrow.
Asda does the same deal.

I think I am already getting smarter, I use Uk hot deals website also. :tongue:
You can buy a single can of Tesco value baked beans for 24p? :tongue:
Reply 85
Original post by Rosssmith13
Currently only budgeting £15 a week (buying food from Tesco) I thought i'd share my weekly meal plan for anyone who is struggling to live healthily/comfortably on a low budget.

Shopping List:
Tesco Bread X 2 - 94p
Tesco Bananas - 5x12.2p - 61.2p
Tesco Onions - 2x15.8p - 31.6p
Tesco Round Lettuce - 50p
Tesco Royal Loose New Potatoes - 5x17.9p - 89.4p
Tesco 4 Pints Milk - £1
Medium Welsh Cheddar 150g - £1.50
Tesco Wafer Thin Ham 364g - £1.50
Tesco Value 8 Pork Sausages - 66p
Tesco Value Chips 1.5kg - 82p (CHIPS USED OVER 3 WEEKS) - 27p
Tesco Value Frozen Mince 950g - £3 (USED OVER 2 WEEKS) - £1.50
Tesco Chicken & Mushroom Pie - 66p
Tesco Steak & Kidney Pie - 66p
Tesco Value Tinned Peas X 4 - 80p
Tesco Value Pasta Sauce - 39p
Tesco Value Baked Beans - 24p
Tesco Value Red Kidney Beans - 21p
Tesco Value Tomato Soup - 24p
Tesco Value Gravy Granules - 20p

Total Cost - £13.09 (Excluding cost of butter/lard, rice and pasta but theyre extremely cheap).

Breakfast is the same every day - 3 Pieces of Toast with butter(lasts for ages)

Lunch is also the same - Ham Sandwich with 2 Pieces of bread and added lettuce and onion + banana

Dinner Numbers 1&2 (Have twice in the week) -
Sausage, Mash & Peas - 4 Sausages, 300g of potato & a tin of peas.

Dinner Numbers 3&4 -
Chilli Con Carne (without the chilli) - 150g of Mince, with a third of a jar of pasta sauce, half a tin of Red Kidney Beans served with 80g (weight when uncooked) rice.
[Note-Price of rice is not included as it's so cheap its pretty much negligible & bought in bulk.]

Dinner Number 5 -
Pasta Bolognaise - 150g of Mince, and a third of a jar of pasta sauce served with 100g (weight when uncooked) of pasta.

Dinner Numbers 6 & 7 -
Pie, 125g of Chips served with peas.

Snacks -
Toast - As I should usually have quite a lot of spare bread.
Beans on toast - Usually buy one can per week.
Beans on toast with grated cheese.
Cheese on toast.
Chips - Bag is usually used over 4 weeks but if I get hungry I can make chips and use over 3 weeks instead, not much difference in price.
Cheesy Chips.
Milk - Not exactly a snack but has a lot of protein.
Tomato Soup (+Toast).

This is living on a budget but certainly not living healthily. For starters you have hardly any fresh fruit and veg, secondly you're eating a ton of processed meat and finally those budget beans that you're eating are packed with sugar. In general budget foods are packed with sugar because that's the cheapest way to make it taste good. I don't think it's possible to eat a healthy diet for less than £30 because healthy doesn't mean "no junk food" it actually means varied balanced diet and this is very hard to achieve if you only have money for one thing.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

you man so poor.

LOL

if you that poor go out on road and stack.
Original post by Benathletics
You can't deem someone as poor because they spend their money efficiently, you're just acting like a teenage moron, grow up.

On the other hand, I love the idea of this thread and I shall be consistently watching it to see where I can get deals!

Kind regards,
Ben

It's not about efficiency.

I deem OP's post as surviving, as opposed to living.

I don't criticize the efficiency of how he spends his budget, I criticize how small his budget is to begin with, and if that was me, I would be more concerned with increasing my budget, than trying to survive on £15 a week.

Kind regards,
The Big Whale
Original post by Lord Jon
Fortunately I have access to a Costco card, sadly I probably won't be near one for uni :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you know where I can browse their products ? I tried on their website but even a simple search of a product I know they have returns no results.
Original post by la-dauphine
You can buy a single can of Tesco value baked beans for 24p? :tongue:

I buy heinz baked beans because I have a phobia of anything tesco value, to be honest I am being rational, I rather look for a better quality product which is on price reduction than a cheap non quality product which is consistently low priced.

main difference between the two products.

Heinz(51% beans)(34% tomato source)(18% other)

Tesco value(44% beans)(6% tomato source)(50% other)

you decide which is better, Heinz has more protein and less fat than Tesco value. Heinz is also free from Glucose-Fructose Syrup (sweetener) and Maltodextrin (additive).

none of this info is shockingly bad, it's not bad enough to avoid eating tesco branded baked beans all together.
Diamontaous earth will kill them
I love looking back at my comments in these threads and seeing how cheap I was. Nowadays I buy organic/leanest cuts of actual meat.

Latest

Trending

Trending