The Student Room Group

Film Production for 2014!

Hey. Want to be doing a Film production course in 2014. My choices at the moment are: Westminster, Bournemouth Arts, Norwich Arts and Gloucestershire. I need a fifth. Which is better UCA or Herefordshire? Also what's the interviews like for the other Uni's? So worried I'm not going to get into any of them and I'm aiming too high. For any other prospective Film students, comment where you want to go. Also having a bit of trouble with what to put in a portfolio and show reel.:confused:
Reply 1
What're your qualifications & experience? i.e. A level grades & filmmaking?
Regardless I would only say that Bournemouth are notoriously picky.
I'm a first year at Westminster. The course is really good, the location is great though. Also we get opportunities almost weekly to do runner work on 2nd, 3rd & postgrad productions.
I had interviews at Westminster, Falmouth x 2, Gloucestershire and Southampton Solent, if you have any questions do ask.
In terms of a showreel, some places look for a trailer of all the work you've done, but most likely they'll want to see a 3-4 minute (or longer) clip from a single piece, so maybe a short film you're proud of or an extract you like a lot. Also put in any essays you personally enjoyed or feel confident talking about, don't just go for ones you got the best marks on.
Reply 2
Hey, I am also applying for BA Film Production at AUB. The course and facilities look absolutely amazing when I visited the uni but apparently they get about 700 applicants every year and theres only about 70-80 places available (a lot of which will be taken by international students).

Was it difficult to get into Westminster? I really want to apply there for my second choice but Im worried I wont meet the ABB grade requirements, do they take anyone with lower?

I am thinking about Norwich Arts, University of West england (Bristol) and maybe Staffordshire - they are all on creative skill set website and are recommended.

In my portfolio Im planning to include a few projects I have done with the prep work like storyboards, scripts etc. The way Bournemouth Arts want you to do your show reel is to do a 5 minute video showing clips from your films and best work. Im stuck on where to apply at the moment but my personal statement and form is all ready a part from that.
Reply 3
Original post by tombeale
What're your qualifications & experience? i.e. A level grades & filmmaking?
Regardless I would only say that Bournemouth are notoriously picky.
I'm a first year at Westminster. The course is really good, the location is great though. Also we get opportunities almost weekly to do runner work on 2nd, 3rd & postgrad productions.
I had interviews at Westminster, Falmouth x 2, Gloucestershire and Southampton Solent, if you have any questions do ask.
In terms of a showreel, some places look for a trailer of all the work you've done, but most likely they'll want to see a 3-4 minute (or longer) clip from a single piece, so maybe a short film you're proud of or an extract you like a lot. Also put in any essays you personally enjoyed or feel confident talking about, don't just go for ones you got the best marks on.

Hey! Thanks for all the info. I went to Westminstet and it's defiantly my first choice, and although I'd say Bournemouth is my second choice I'm not holding out hope as I know how hard it is to get in! Gloucester was also lovely. But I just fell in love with Westminster. Btw I sent my UCAS off on Wednesday and on the open day it said that to determine who geta an interview they send you a questionnaire (and maybe an essay) to do. When does that come through? I got good AS levels and my target grades are A*, A and B. For my porfolio I have scripts, essays, storyboards, photographs, prrsentstions and a 2 and a half minute psychological thriller I made. What else would need to be in there? Thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by nataliecsutton
Hey! Thanks for all the info. I went to Westminstet and it's defiantly my first choice, and although I'd say Bournemouth is my second choice I'm not holding out hope as I know how hard it is to get in! Gloucester was also lovely. But I just fell in love with Westminster. Btw I sent my UCAS off on Wednesday and on the open day it said that to determine who geta an interview they send you a questionnaire (and maybe an essay) to do. When does that come through? I got good AS levels and my target grades are A*, A and B. For my porfolio I have scripts, essays, storyboards, photographs, prrsentstions and a 2 and a half minute psychological thriller I made. What else would need to be in there? Thanks :smile:

So sorry for getting back to you this late.

Just looking at my emails, I actually got my questionnaire 1 year ago today! I think I applied in November, so that's not bad - only I remember my interview being much much later, in April I think, which wasn't ideal.

I've had another message regarding the portfolio, and I'm perhaps not the most qualified to answer them, only because the DVD I had my clip on didn't work so I didn't actually show anything in the interview! But still got an unconditional offer thankfully, I think it was more to do with the conversation and how you express yourself, I'd concentrate on thinking about what you can talk about - a few coursemates here have said they were asked about the last film they watched, things like that.

Plus if you really want to work in the film industry, then inevitably you're going to end up working in London. I'm not saying choose Westminster just for the location, as the course & lecturers are great too, but I'm hoping that being near the city will make the transition from studies to work a lot easier and quicker.
Reply 5
If I was lucky enough to get into Westminster I'd defiantly choose it. Its my first choice. Fell in love with the place. I'm currently doing the questionnaire so hopefully they like what I've put in there, and I'll be chuffed for an interview. Yet I know its so hard to get into, isnt it? So I'm quite nervous. Is there any chance you could PM me just so I could talk about the course a little more and interview tips? Thanks.
Reply 6
Hello,

I am Basque, I finished my degree in audiovisual communication in June and Im lookin for a Master (I think you call it MA) in Film and TV Production in the UK. I have quiet a list of universities but I really have no idea where to go!
I have read about the MA in Film Production in Bournemouth, MA in Media, Film and TV Production at the university of Lincoln, Film Production MA in Lancashire, MA in Film and Media Production at Sheffield Hallam University and Fiction Film Production at the University of Salford.

I have the basic information about these places the one is given in their websites but I want to know if their courses are good or if there are another ones.
Reply 7
Original post by Hitx
Hello,

I am Basque, I finished my degree in audiovisual communication in June and Im lookin for a Master (I think you call it MA) in Film and TV Production in the UK. I have quiet a list of universities but I really have no idea where to go!
I have read about the MA in Film Production in Bournemouth, MA in Media, Film and TV Production at the university of Lincoln, Film Production MA in Lancashire, MA in Film and Media Production at Sheffield Hallam University and Fiction Film Production at the University of Salford.

I have the basic information about these places the one is given in their websites but I want to know if their courses are good or if there are another ones.

Hi Basque,

Did you end up choosing a uni for your Masters? I've just started an MA at Bournemouth University in Post-Production Video Editing, and we're working alongside the other MA courses (Producing, Directing, Script Writing, Radio and Cinematography).
If you're still undecided maybe I can help? I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the courses or the university.

Alice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending