Reaction between Bromine and Cyclohexane

Watch
rollingstome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've been given some questions about the reaction between bromine and cyclohexane, and one that slightly threw me was:

'Why is water added to the reaction mixture (bromine + cyclohexane), even though it is not a reactant?'

It's probably something pretty simple I'm missing, does anyone have any ideas?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rollingstome)
I've been given some questions about the reaction between bromine and cyclohexane, and one that slightly threw me was:

'Why is water added to the reaction mixture (bromine + cyclohexane), even though it is not a reactant?'

It's probably something pretty simple I'm missing, does anyone have any ideas?
Bromine reacts with cyclohexane in the presence of UV light. There is no water needed.

Are you sure that you don't mean 'cyclohexene'?
rollingstome
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Bromine reacts with cyclohexane in the presence of UV light. There is no water needed.

It definitely says cyclohexane! I thought water might be added to ionise the bromine, to form bromine water, which then reacts with the cyclohexane?
TimmsElJefe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Which state was the Bromine in, gaseous or aqueous? Because I'm thinking that the water dissolves the Bromine which then reacts with Cyclohexane and forms two separate layers, both of which should be an orange colour.
rollingstome
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimmsElJefe)
Which state was the Bromine in, gaseous or aqueous? Because I'm thinking that the water dissolves the Bromine which then reacts with Cyclohexane and forms two separate layers, both of which should be an orange colour.
We just used bromine water in the practical, so it must have already been dissolved in the water. Thanks so much for your help!

Though just a question about the layers, would bromocyclohexane be in the top or bottom layer?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We just used bromine water in the practical, so it must have already been dissolved in the water. Thanks so much for your help!

Though just a question about the layers, would bromocyclohexane be in the top or bottom layer?
Bromine does not react with cyclohexane (without UV light) with or without water!

Wait a minute...

.. a thought occurs to me.

You are not reacting bromine with cyclohexane, you are DISSOLVING bromine in cyclohexane and water mixed.

This shows two layers with slightly different colours demonstrating that bromine is more soluble in non-polar solvents.
TimmsElJefe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

You're welcome, although you don't get bromocyclohexane because it doesn't react with Bromine, it only dissolves in the layer. The top layer is Cyclohexane and the bottom layer is water.

Hope this helps!
rollingstome
Rep:
?
Bromine does not react with cyclohexane (without UV light) with or without water!

Wait a minute...

.. a thought occurs to me.

You are not reacting bromine with cyclohexane, you are DISSOLVING bromine in cyclohexane and water mixed.

This shows two layers with slightly different colours demonstrating that bromine is more soluble in non-polar solvents.
(Original post by TimmsElJefe)
You're welcome, although you don't get bromocyclohexane because it doesn't react with Bromine, it only dissolves in the layer. The top layer is Cyclohexane and the bottom layer is water.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for your help!
#minniemouse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What would be the balance equation for the reaction between aqueous bromine cyclohexane and cyclohexene
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads