Discuss research into different types of attachment (6+6)

Watch
abi_96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was wondering if my essay was any good. Our teacher always says A01 and A02 should only be 150 words each but I can never reduce my work enough to reach that. Could you guys give me some pointers? Thanks!

Ainsworth formulated the strange situation to assess attachment strength in infants between 9 and 18 months. The aim was to see how these infants reacted in conditions of novelty and mild distress and to evaluate each infant’s stranger and separation anxiety. The study consisted of eight stages which lasted around tree minutes each and each separate stage was designed to elicit a certain response from the infant, such as the use of a safe base. After observing video recordings of the study Ainsworth concluded that there were 3 main attachment types: secure attachment; insecure-resistant attachment; and insecure-avoidant attachment. Secure attachment is characterised by use of secure base, distress at being left by their caregiver, and joy at reunion. Insecure-resistant attachment is characterised by indifference to being left alone, reunion and the presence of a stranger and avoiding social interaction. Insecure-avoidant attachment is characterised by the infant both seeking and rejecting intimacy and social interaction such as protesting to being picked up at reunion but finding other ways to stay physically close. Ainsworth believed that an infant’s attachment type was determined on how they were treated by their primary attachment figure, usually the mother. A sensitive mother would usually have a securely attached child, an inconsistent mother would have an insecure-resistant child, and a mother who is usually preoccupied would have an insecure-avoidant child. Generally most infants are securely attached. (A01)

A positive of research such as the strange situation is that it gives other researches a basis for their findings. For example Takahashi used the strange situation technique in Japan and classified the infants into Ainsworth’s categories: secure, resistant and avoidant. This meant others could easily understand his results as Ainsworth’s study is well known. Research based on the strange situation is ethnocentric as the procedure was developed in the US. For instance Grossmann and Grossmann used the strange situation to study attachment patterns in Germany and they found that many infants were classified as insecurely attached as childrearing practices in Germany include keeping interpersonal space between parents and children so infants do not engage in proximity seeking behaviours in the strange situations and therefore appear to be insecurely attached. (A02)

Ainsworth’s strange situation was the basis of all researches into different types of attachment and although it is a good basis for the US and UK, other countries have different cultures and different childrearing practices which may produce false results using the same method as Ainsworth. (Conclusion)
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by abi_96)
I was wondering if my essay was any good. Our teacher always says A01 and A02 should only be 150 words each but I can never reduce my work enough to reach that. Could you guys give me some pointers? Thanks!

Ainsworth formulated the strange situation to assess attachment strength in infants between 9 and 18 months. The aim was to see how these infants reacted in conditions of novelty and mild distress and to evaluate each infant’s stranger and separation anxiety. The study consisted of eight stages which lasted around tree minutes each and each separate stage was designed to elicit a certain response from the infant, such as the use of a safe base. After observing video recordings of the study Ainsworth concluded that there were 3 main attachment types: secure attachment; insecure-resistant attachment; and insecure-avoidant attachment. Secure attachment is characterised by use of secure base, distress at being left by their caregiver, and joy at reunion. Insecure-resistant attachment is characterised by indifference to being left alone, reunion and the presence of a stranger and avoiding social interaction. Insecure-avoidant attachment is characterised by the infant both seeking and rejecting intimacy and social interaction such as protesting to being picked up at reunion but finding other ways to stay physically close. Ainsworth believed that an infant’s attachment type was determined on how they were treated by their primary attachment figure, usually the mother. A sensitive mother would usually have a securely attached child, an inconsistent mother would have an insecure-resistant child, and a mother who is usually preoccupied would have an insecure-avoidant child. Generally most infants are securely attached. (A01)

A positive of research such as the strange situation is that it gives other researches a basis for their findings. For example Takahashi used the strange situation technique in Japan and classified the infants into Ainsworth’s categories: secure, resistant and avoidant. This meant others could easily understand his results as Ainsworth’s study is well known. Research based on the strange situation is ethnocentric as the procedure was developed in the US. For instance Grossmann and Grossmann used the strange situation to study attachment patterns in Germany and they found that many infants were classified as insecurely attached as childrearing practices in Germany include keeping interpersonal space between parents and children so infants do not engage in proximity seeking behaviours in the strange situations and therefore appear to be insecurely attached. (A02)

Ainsworth’s strange situation was the basis of all researches into different types of attachment and although it is a good basis for the US and UK, other countries have different cultures and different childrearing practices which may produce false results using the same method as Ainsworth. (Conclusion)

AO1 would probably be around 3/4. The question asked you to discuss research. While its fine for you to talk about the findings, if you were to do this, you would need some detail, and also outline the strange situation.

AO2 would be around 4. Evaluation points seem a bit superficial, it could benefit with more specific evaluation and probably more evaluation. Also you could try to use key terms such as 'imposed etic'

You don't need to label your AO1s and AO2s btw, and you don't need a conclusion either.
abi_96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
AO1 would probably be around 3/4. The question asked you to discuss research. While its fine for you to talk about the findings, if you were to do this, you would need some detail, and also outline the strange situation.

AO2 would be around 4. Evaluation points seem a bit superficial, it could benefit with more specific evaluation and probably more evaluation. Also you could try to use key terms such as 'imposed etic'

You don't need to label your AO1s and AO2s btw, and you don't need a conclusion either.

Thanks mynameisntbobk hopefully I can improve for next time
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by abi_96)
Thanks mynameisntbobk hopefully I can improve for next time
No worries, and you have plenty of time to do so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads