The Student Room Group

Still possible to be a doctor?

Scroll to see replies

GCSE grades given in the OPs post are not poor and with the exception of a couple of medical schools really aren't an issue .

the significant issue is the lack of Chemistry and Bioligy at A level , however as others have suggested this may in fact work in the OPs favour as most 'foundation ' years for medicine want people who are converting to medicince from high grades not suitable for entry to convetiona 5 /6 year pathways .
Original post by maryam77
Im trying to keep my mind open to other prestigious career options as well, but...then after a while i stop and think, i really want to do medicine. I was thinking of Law LLB, or even doing a PHD in economics, to become a consultant.

Despite my gcses, and the fact that i didn't take any science Alevels on board, but achieved good Alevels, will i be accepted for any foundation programmes, wouldn't my gcses be taken into consider?

sorry I didn't realise you replied haha :smile: yeah that's a good idea, you should always have a range of things you want to go for. Have your target or dream career option, but taken into account what career path you'll take if you don't make the grade requirements, but do something you enjoy, and if medicine is really what you want to do then unfortunately you NEED biology and chemistry, and you NEED to do well AAA or CCC for a foundation programme. But you may find that some foundation programmes may accept you, you just have to find out which ones and what Is required. so yes you may be accepted for a foundation, but it may be difficult. Your GCSEs are taken into account, but your A levels are more important.
Reply 22
You could apply to unis which offer foundation years if you aren't doing science a levels. Alternatively you could ditch this year and change schools to somewhere next year where you could take science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending