doctors! please answer my question

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
so i recently went the doctors and i have found out i have damaged my tendon (or tendons?) in my left knee. i was wondering could this stunt my growth as i am only small, 5 5 , and am 17, but i am still growing

also, i read that puberty takes 6 years. does that mean i will have 6 years of growth, so 3 left, even though i am 17?
Carpediemxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
so i recently went the doctors and i have found out i have damaged my tendon (or tendons?) in my left knee. i was wondering could this stunt my growth as i am only small, 5 5 , and am 17, but i am still growing

also, i read that puberty takes 6 years. does that mean i will have 6 years of growth, so 3 left, even though i am 17?
Almost certainly not
How severe is your injury?

And generally you won't grow much more beyond 18
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Carpediemxx)
Almost certainly not
How severe is your injury?

And generally you won't grow much more beyond 18
dunno how severe it is, but i know it has been 3 months since it happened and that i have to have physiotherapy, how long will it take before physio starts?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You haven't really given a good background of what exactly the issue is. How did you damage your knee? Are you sure it's a tendon and not a ligament? Either way, it won't affect your growth but may result in a prolonged recovery process dependent on what exactly your injury is and the mechanism of injury. Are you male or female?
Carpediemxx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
dunno how severe it is, but i know it has been 3 months since it happened and that i have to have physiotherapy, how long will it take before physio starts?
Injuries in the knee take notoriously long to sort themselves out
If you are doing physio then its unlikely its gonna affect your growth.
And starts? well that's up to your doctor and physios

Probably sensible to ask them these questions no? After all they know what injury you've had!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Misogynist)
You haven't really given a good background of what exactly the issue is. How did you damage your knee? Are you sure it's a tendon and not a ligament? Either way, it won't affect your growth but may result in a prolonged recovery process dependent on what exactly your injury is and the mechanism of injury. Are you male or female?
the doctor said tendon. and it happened by trying to lift a hockey goal (srsly)
and i am male
Anonymous #1
Injuries in the knee take notoriously long to sort themselves out
If you are doing physio then its unlikely its gonna affect your growth.
And starts? well that's up to your doctor and physios

Probably sensible to ask them these questions no? After all they know what injury you've had!
the doctor said 'don't hold your breath' about physio
Carpediemxx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Then go back and make an appointment - ask him what he meant and these other questions
I cannot answer you properly here
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd probably be able to help you more if you gave us more information. I need to know mechanism, where you felt pain, if the pain radiated anywhere, whether it's painful now or not, what drugs/treatments you were given and what tests the doctor performed. Is your knee inflamed? Can you walk without support?
Anonymous #1
I'd probably be able to help you more if you gave us more information. I need to know mechanism, where you felt pain, if the pain radiated anywhere, whether it's painful now or not, what drugs/treatments you were given and what tests the doctor performed. Is your knee inflamed? Can you walk without support?
i can walk without support, although it is getting worse, which the doctor said is because i went back to school, there is a lot of stairs, because i stretch my leg in the movement described below
i was prescribed ibuprofen by another doctor for the same injury
it hurts when i stretch it out straight and elevate it at an angle, do you know what i mean?
i feel pain at the top of my knee
the doctor just felt my knee and was saying does this hurt when he was bending it and pushing with down with his finger around me knee
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i can walk without support, although it is getting worse, which the doctor said is because i went back to school, there is a lot of stairs, because i stretch my leg in the movement described below
i was prescribed ibuprofen by another doctor for the same injury
it hurts when i stretch it out straight and elevate it at an angle, do you know what i mean?
i feel pain at the top of my knee
the doctor just felt my knee and was saying does this hurt when he was bending it and pushing with down with his finger around me knee
It sounds like you have some kind of quadriceps tendon injury. Tendons are basically little bands of tissue that connect muscle to bone. Ibuprofen is a good choice for pain/inflammation in this case, do you feel like it relieves your symptoms?

To help you recover faster, here's a little acronym to remember. HI-RICE. Hydration, Ibuprofen, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Rest, is obviously very important. Don't be climbing up flights of stairs if it hurts. Ask for assistance. Get a knee compress and see if it helps you out.

Be very careful with your injury as knee injuries take a long, long time to recover and have the potential to get worse if not taken care of. It won't affect your growth.
Anonymous #1
x
x
thank you both, but how come you two disagree on will it stunt my growth?
Anonymous #1
bump
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thank you both, but how come you two disagree on will it stunt my growth?
It won't stunt your growth because soft tissue injuries/sprains have nothing to do with the process by which you grow. Don't worry about it and carry on.
Anonymous #1
It sounds like you have some kind of quadriceps tendon injury. Tendons are basically little bands of tissue that connect muscle to bone. Ibuprofen is a good choice for pain/inflammation in this case, do you feel like it relieves your symptoms?

To help you recover faster, here's a little acronym to remember. HI-RICE. Hydration, Ibuprofen, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Rest, is obviously very important. Don't be climbing up flights of stairs if it hurts. Ask for assistance. Get a knee compress and see if it helps you out.

Be very careful with your injury as knee injuries take a long, long time to recover and have the potential to get worse if not taken care of. It won't affect your growth.
are you sure ice will work when the injury is months old?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
are you sure ice will work when the injury is months old?
Oh right, wasn't paying attention. Ice isn't really necessary then. Simple advice, rest the leg and don't move about too much/put weight on it. Knee injuries take absolute ages to heal. Don't expect any miracles. Slowly but surely you'll get back to normal.
Anonymous #1
Oh right, wasn't paying attention. Ice isn't really necessary then. Simple advice, rest the leg and don't move about too much/put weight on it. Knee injuries take absolute ages to heal. Don't expect any miracles. Slowly but surely you'll get back to normal.
thanks. how much would private physio cost? because the impression i have gotten from my doctor is that it will take ages for it to start (NHS one), i might try and do it privately. also would it start within a week or two if i were to do it privately?
Anonymous #1
you were right, had physio today and the physiotherapist said something about my quadriceps. how long will it take, do you think before i get better? i have recieved acupuncture today, will that be of considerable help?
Anonymous #1
so...

it has got worse
i have grown an inch and a half, the physiotherapist said this would make it worse, do you agree with her? in fact, during a week, i noticed it got worse, significantly, and then i discovered i had grown that half an inch
i stopeed having physiotherapy privately as she couldn't make it better, although she only used acupuncture and ultrasound
my physiotherapy through the NHS is still booked in two weeks time. seeing as i am still growing, and i think even faster than usual, i am thinking, if physiotherapy through the NHS doesn't make it better, of refusing steriods as they stunt growth. and go straight to surgery. will they allow this, because i really really dont want to take steroids?
Anonymous #1
bump, i am really worried
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (329)
34.6%
No (622)
65.4%

Watched Threads