The Student Room Group

Romanians/Bulgarians effect on the UK?

What effect do you think the Romanians/Bulgarians will have on the UK? 2014 here we come!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the bigger problem will be Roma gypsies.
Reply 2
Original post by elohssa
I think the bigger problem will be Roma gypsies.

Elaborate?
Reply 3
None. People have been saying this doomsday message about every foreign country for decades. I'm bored of the whole thing.
How many are coming?
Reply 5
If you believe the Daily Mail, all 27 million.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They said the poles would take over but only 800,000 stay in UK and Poland has a population of 38 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Woodlepoodle
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They said the poles would take over but only 800,000 stay in UK and Poland has a population of 38 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is quite an influx of people into one country to be honest lol.
Reply 8
Original post by techno-thriller
How many are coming?

I think at least 2 millions will come lol
According to the Daily Mail Bulgarians in their millions will flock to the UK in a hope for a more prosperous life while living off the UK's generous welfare support system which Bulgaria lacks.
Original post by Bill_Gates

Romanians and Bulgarians are more inclined to migrate to countries such as Germany due to the language similarities. And again, out of all those that decide to emigrate, each country in western Europe will receive a certain proportion. I doubt that there will be one single country will undergo an anomalous wave of colossal mass immigration of foreigners, in millions. However, Britain being part of the EU constitution allows this possibility to occur.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Romanians and Bulgarians are more inclined to migrate to countries such as Germany due to the language similarities. And again, out of all those that decide to emigrate, each country in western Europe will receive a certain proportion. I doubt that there will be one single country will undergo an anomalous wave of colossal mass immigration of foreigners, in millions. However, Britain being part of the EU constitution allows this possibility to occur.

lol that is a bit naive. England is the perfect place for any migrant to move to.

Free schools, NHS, Benefits. Its all on a plate.
Reply 12

I live with a Romanian, he says Italian is perhaps the easiest language for them to learn. Having said that, he started learning English when he was 4 and was taught it for 14 years so is very fluent. His grammar is often better than one of our other housemates who is british !
Reply 13
Bolton recently had 300 Hungarians appear over night at a Church.

Nobody has a job and three days a week it is my (unpaid) job to educate them.

Bolton College and Manchester college expect there to be many Romanians to come to the UK and they are opening many many more ESOL places.

Bolton College has a 230 learner capacity (for 16-18) age group. Last year when I worked there we had about 104 learners.

This year they are completely full and middle of November they are opening on three new classes to increase the capacity to 500 learners.

A local satellite town of Bolton is even considering opening a primary school in the evenings to accommodate the expected massive increase in demand.
lol that is a bit naive. England is the perfect place for any migrant to move to.

Being part of the EU allows us to get free emergency care anywhere within the EEA.

Most migrants don't come here to abuse the welfare system. The vast majority come to work, which in turn strengthens the British Economy. However, the negative aspect would be the social problems this would create such as lack of integration etc.

A lot of countries provide free education for EU nationals.

Original post by nic-nac
I live with a Romanian, he says Italian is perhaps the easiest language for them to learn. Having said that, he started learning English when he was 4 and was taught it for 14 years so is very fluent. His grammar is often better than one of our other housemates who is british !

Your "friend" doesn't really represent 27 million people. That is just a whole generalisation.
Reply 15

Your "friend" doesn't really represent 27 million people. That is just a whole generalisation.
I know. And in most of these anti-Romanian threads it would be stereotyping if I thought all Romanians are like my housemate. But in this case I was merely pointing out that they do learn English in school, and they do it more than I had to learn French for.
Reply 16

Over 5 years (2014-2019) i do think the number will be a little above the 1.5 million mark (200-300000 per year as an average). It makes little sense for more than 2 million to come given that we only got that many Polish when only 3 countries had open borders and the economy was much better, plus the combined populations are smaller.

Even if your opposed to unskilled migration you surely concede that bringing in children who can be educated to a high standard and get the same skills as native Britain's is a good thing? The more children come here, the better as far as i am concerned.

What effect do you think the Romanians/Bulgarians will have on the UK? 2014 here we come!

I don't expect all much difference really, we still get 500,000 immigrants a year now and i don't encounter any real issues on my day to life.

I do believe that this government or the next does need an infrastructure review however to ensure capacity in 2030.

Next up is Croatia and then probably Iceland. After that it starts getting complicated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Rakas21
Over 5 years (2014-2019) i do think the number will be a little above the 1.5 million mark (200-300000 per year as an average). It makes little sense for more than 2 million to come given that we only got that many Polish when only 3 countries had open borders and the economy was much better, plus the combined populations are smaller.

Even if your opposed to unskilled migration you surely concede that bringing in children who can be educated to a high standard and get the same skills as native Britain's is a good thing? The more children come here, the better as far as i am concerned.

I don't expect all much difference really, we still get 500,000 immigrants a year now and i don't encounter any real issues on my day to life.

I do believe that this government or the next does need an infrastructure review however to ensure capacity in 2030.

Next up is Croatia and then probably Iceland. After that it starts getting complicated.

im not against it to be honest if anything im more likely to benefit from the influx. I just like to get a feel about how everyone else feels about the situation.

Not all migration is the same i.e Pakistani immigrants are not likely to be as hard working as other asian immigrants and i think the picture will be different for Romanians/Bulgarians.
Reply 18
im not against it to be honest if anything im more likely to benefit from the influx. I just like to get a feel about how everyone else feels about the situation.

Not all migration is the same i.e Pakistani immigrants are not likely to be as hard working as other asian immigrants and i think the picture will be different for Romanians/Bulgarians.

Aye, that's true. I'd actually like increased ties with Asia, hell if wasn't for the language gap free movement with the likes of Singapore could be great for the UK.

My general position is that i would prefer the EU to only expand to include countries which meet the EU average for GDP per capita (this largely takes care of the really unskilled in itself) but that i'm not overly bothered if they continue to expand into poorer countries because the negative effects are over-hyped and much is a result of our own flawed domestic policy.

Where i'm still undecided is in regards to expansion into the likes of Turkey and Bosnia, two Muslim countries.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
Aye, that's true. I'd actually like increased ties with Asia, hell if wasn't for the language gap free movement with the likes of Singapore could be great for the UK.

My general position is that i would prefer the EU to only expand to include countries which meet the EU average for GDP per capita (this largely takes care of the really unskilled in itself) but that i'm not overly bothered if they continue to expand into poorer countries because the negative effects are over-hyped and much is a result of our own flawed domestic policy.

Where i'm still undecided is in regards to expansion into the likes of Turkey and Bosnia, two Muslim countries.

Very true, i think the rich have a lot to gain from continued EU expansion but not so much everyone else and the general "harmony" of society. Especially David Cameron if anything Romanians/Bulgarians extra pressure on the NHS will increase his chances of further privatisation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending